Opeth are Swedish???

Mayh

Who's that Melinda person
Oct 3, 2001
hehehe.

:)

Do you have any Idea why Mikael doesn´t write the lyrics in the swedish language? I don´t remember reading about it in interviews or anything else?

Originally posted by Sputnik
So people from other countries can read them :err:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tickled: . um he does have another side project, which im gonna spell wrong, skorrsong or something, sorry it's something like that and he sings in Sweedish, i have 1 d/l song, cant find anymore. but as Sputnik said if you sing in English you get more listeners, rather than in another language. its just one of those things.

I think It´s very cool when bands write lyrics in their naitive language, like he did with Sörskogen. Why should he care wether people can understand the lyrics when he says he doesn´t care if people like the music as long he/they like it. Should it be any diffrent with the lyrics?

Originally posted by Mayh
I think It´s very cool when bands write lyrics in their naitive language, like he did with Sörskogen. Why should he care wether people can understand the lyrics when he says he doesn´t care if people like the music as long he/they like it. Should it be any diffrent with the lyrics?

yeah i get what you mean, but if someone cares about music, wouldn't they want everyone to feel/hear it too? Opeth are a band that everyone has the right to hear, they're truley special (not in a disabled way) and if they sang in sweedish i doubt i would have had the chance to know about them, anyway nice member id thingy: who's that Melinda... :lol:

Moonspell have often written in Portugese and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of their music. There is a school of thought that the english language is more suited to singing, something to do with the sound of the words. I'm not too sure about that myself though.

Lyrics are pretty important to me and I can't read Swedish. No doubt if I heard them, I'd really like the music, but I'd have a hard time really getting into the band from just wanting to know what the each song is about. Ya know?

Originally posted by Opet
Lyrics are pretty important to me and I can't read Swedish. No doubt if I heard them, I'd really like the music, but I'd have a hard time really getting into the band from just wanting to know what the each song is about. Ya know?

Yes I do know what you mean.

I think the Die hard Opeth fans would problably take a swedish course to be able to read their lyrics though (me included), what a bunch of fanatics (In a good way though!) :D

Well me personally I don't care what language it's in as long as the word sond like they should fit the music. I mean on Therions last album they don't alway speek english and I think that album is sweet. But I'm sure that if opeth didn't speek english it might have taken me longer to get into them. Well I've said my 2 cent I hope you enjoyed it if not I don't care

Originally posted by veil the sky
is a school of thought that the english language is more suited to singing, something to do with the sound of the words.

I tend to agree here. For example, some of the germanic languages (swedish is one) have that gutteral sound, (back of the throat "h"s, and other such harsh noises), and the latin based languages can get a little complicated with noises, (rolling "r"s, and we all know the strange noises of french). English just tends to be one of the most flowing languages. I think Latin might be better also, it's too bad few people use it other than scientists.