Iraq

spawn

Apr 14, 2001
I just saw on the news that the heads of the arabic countries (Egypt, Syria etc.) had warned the US that any strikes against Iraq would plunge every arabic nation into chaos.

But from the looks of things, the US is going to war sooner rather than later, but is it justified? Just because you dont like a regime, does that mean you can just bomb the f**k out of it?

Though on the other hand, I highly doubt Saddam is a good and just man, and he has obviously been hiding chemicalish weapons, and I dont like the idea of that nut having them, even if he will only most likely target America with them...

Obviously they are using the terror attacks to justify finishing something they didnt do right the first time I guess...

Anyway, I think the point of this post is clear. Why cant they all just listen to Iron Maiden? ;)

Where's the logic in declaring war on a country that you suspect of having weapons of mass destruction?

History will show that George W. Bush was the real first tyrant of the 21st century. The sooner he is out of the picture the better. I don't know if I would call him evil, but close enough... after all, he did know about the September 11 attacks beforehand and did nothing about warning anyone, simply to boost his popularity as a war-time leader*.

*this might not be entirely accurate, but certainly sounds possible

I agree with Spiff.

Bush is the biggest warmonger we've seen in our lifetimes... since the 2nd world war I'd say...

He's got no reason at all to attack Iraq, other than that it will unite all the Americans, and lead to him being re-elected.

Hmmm I dont know, I can see both sides of this one...

After September 11 I think they can be a little justified in being proactive rather than reactive, but id like to know, couldnt they just kill Saddam and have the problem solved? Whats the point in bombing the hell out of everyone over one man?

They weren't attacked by Iraq on Sept 11, they were attacked by a terrorist group based in a different country.

As for killing Saddam and solving the problem... what problem? If anything, that's only going to cause more problems. You can't just go in and assasinate the leader of a country, just because you don't like him... all that would accomplish is to make the arabs hate the US even more.

The problem is that there's this huge double standard. The US thinks that it's ok for them to attack another country unprovoked, or assinate another countries leader... but it's not OK for any one else to do the same thing (except for Israel of course, they can do whatever the fuck they want and the US will always back them up).

I know what you mean, I just meant that the US seem to be looking to where problems COULD come from now, and acting now instead of later, thats all, im not condoning it, but I can see the thinking behind it. Even if it does violate just about every human rights law ever :D

The U.S has been after Saddam since before 1988.It has been proven in the past he has a mass of weapons that have been threatened to be of use against all non arabic countries. If they have not gotten him by now they will never get him.
I agree that George W. bush is a war hungry moron but that is what his party stands for amongst other crap.
The U.S however has turned to being like this in many ways since the whole September 11 thing happened the pressure is on their government to not look as though they are being passive in any manner.

Did anyone hear Saddam talking (in an interview or a press conferenace or something) a few weeks/months back, about how if the U.S make any moves on Iraq they will be sorry, and that he has the power to prevail this time? The scary thing is that it is possible, with all the weapons and shit he has. If the U.S attack, who knows what will happen....he could have weapons ready and waiting in another country....and what if Australia gets dragged into it, which is also probable.....me not likes this situation one bit...

I agree Blitzy, I say we all just stay below the radar if possible, you never know WHAT he has hidden away... :)

Something I've wondered for more than 10 years now - why do people call him Saddam and not Hussein? Everyone does it - normal people, politicians, the press... why? Is it like in those funny Asian countries where they have the names back to front so that Saddam is his surname and Hussein is his first name? If not, then it smacks of disrespect.

I know, people call me my first name in everyday life, and I feel like slapping them :mad: Dont they know who I am?

I am really scared that this will lead to WW3. I mean everyone was worried re: Desert Storm etc. This is like a problem with no solution because the problem does not make sense...

Very worrying... I REALLY wish Australia was not aligned with U.S. I mean they do us over on Trade, make us the enemy of Iraq (by association) - therefore we lose $$$ trade to Iraq and then IF it does turn into a BIG war, we HAVE to go fight someone we have no beef with!

All around bad news for the World and for us...

Los4 = :confused: and :mad:

The problem as I see it is the current U.S. Govt is doing what IT likes and who is it answering to. There plans don't even make sense anymore.. so where is the solution...

nuff said.

Yeah, with the Gulf War they had an excuse to go over there, but "I dont like Saddam" seems rather vague to me...

Well yeah I know, but the basis of this is "we have no PROOF he is doing something wrong, and the citizens of Iraq dont have a problem with him ruling as far as we know, but we want to kill him just in case"....

It doesnt bother me at all if they do kill him, one less nutcase in the world as far as im concerned, but whats stopping them from turning around and saying "what about you guys? You have something to hide ill bet, let me just bomb the crappers out of you and make sure you dont do anything", that was my point :)