IRON MAIDEN in the US January 2007

Changeofamemory said:
I wonder if this tour will be based on the next 'Early Years' DVD. If so, and the setlist was to include stuff from Powerslave, Somwhere in Time and Seventh Son...I would HAVE to make it to one of those shows (being close to NY helps though, lol).
Personally I've been a bit bored with Maiden's setlists the past tours, with the exception of Ed Hunter. The last half always seems to be exactly the same year after year. I know there's staples that have to stay there (Hallowed be thy name, Number of the beast, etc), but I could seriously deal without hearing 2min2mid or wrathchild for the rest of my life. lol. They just have so much material they can pull from, but they play it safe and always tend to do a 'greatest hits' type of set.

They have a new album coming out, so this will be the tour for that album.

Changeofamemory said:
I wonder if this tour will be based on the next 'Early Years' DVD. If so, and the setlist was to include stuff from Powerslave, Somwhere in Time and Seventh Son...I would HAVE to make it to one of those shows (being close to NY helps though, lol).
Personally I've been a bit bored with Maiden's setlists the past tours, with the exception of Ed Hunter. The last half always seems to be exactly the same year after year. I know there's staples that have to stay there (Hallowed be thy name, Number of the beast, etc), but I could seriously deal without hearing 2min2mid or wrathchild for the rest of my life. lol. They just have so much material they can pull from, but they play it safe and always tend to do a 'greatest hits' type of set.

You're pretty far off on their setlists. Did you know they've only played "2 Minutes..." once on the past SIX TOURS? Maiden does 2 types of tours: in support of a new album, or in support of a greatest hits release/DVD. Period.

IF they do come to the U.S. in 2007, it will be in support of their new album. So you can expect a similar "style" setlist to what they did in support of Brave New World and Dance of Death: a large sampling of the new album, 3-5 stalwarts that they always play, and 3-5 songs that are unique to the tour.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone in this thread has actually SEEN Iron Maiden live?

I saw Maiden twice on the Ed Hunter tour, three times on the Brave New World tour, and once when they did the early days tour. I have bootlegs from a lot of the album tours before then, and it's just the last half of every show tends to be almost exactly the same. Maybe I'm spoiled by Dream Theater who switches up their setlists every tour quite a lot, and cover their entire catalogue. I love Maiden, I just wish they'd do some more obscure songs. The Early days tour was great (though I didn't go), because they DID some more obscure songs, but the average setlist to me at least is always the same old.

I've only seen them twice (Brave New World and No Prayer), but at the BNW show, they played so much of the new album that A LOT of people were complaining that there weren't playing all the old standards that everyone wants to hear. He went off on the crowd about it, which was awesome.

Personally, I love BNW, so I was quite pleased to here well over 50% of it in concert.

My bad, it was the Give Me Ed....tour I saw, not the Early Days. I wanted to see the Early Days tour badly but I didn't make it to Ozzfest. That tour and Ed Hunter are my favorite tour setlists as there are some more obscure songs.
I see they did Lord of the Flies on the Dance of Death tour, which I'd love to hear Bruce singing, but the last half still consisted of Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark and Hallowed Be Thy Name, which they seem to do every other tour. Maybe it's just me, but if they are going to keep doing those, I wish they'd mix it up in the set, so the last 20 min or so of the show isn't so predictable. It was nice hearing Number of the Beast opening the Give Me Ed...tour for once though instead of at the end. I'd just love to see some older/obscure tunes brought into the sets more often, and not just on 'special' tours like the Ed Hunter/Early Days tours.

SeaStorm said:
at the BNW show, they played so much of the new album that A LOT of people were complaining that there weren't playing all the old standards that everyone wants to hear. Personally, I love BNW, so I was quite pleased to here well over 50% of it in concert.

I also love BNW, and those were my favorite songs on that tour. Unfortunately for some reason Dance of Death didn't do that much for me with the exception of a few songs. I am looking forward to their new album though, which I didn't even know they were working on. lol