Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
EMI Records - 1983
By Adam McAuley

pieceofmind.jpg

This can be your classic album pick for a while. Piece of Mind is certainly one of the most deserving albums in the band's early period to be worthy of a review. Often people will take The Number of the Beast, Powerslave or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or others as their favorite of Iron Maiden's discography, but for some reason this has always struck a chord with me. Perhaps it's because of one of Bruce Dickinson's most acrobatic vocal performances, the constantly driving pace of the album or a couple of Iron Maiden's most underrated tracks, but this is really one of the most well-rounded, exciting and interesting overall albums in their discography as well. It also coincides nicely with the new Iron Maiden album's review on Ultimate Metal.

The tracks that really stick out for me on Piece of Mind are "Revelations", "Flight of Icarus" and "To Tame a Land", which are all among the most underrated of the Iron Maiden catalogue. Both "Revelations" and "To Tame a Land" are a couple of their most epic songs and contain absolutely splendid contrast of more riff-oriented heavier sections with soothing lighter ones. They'll be stuck in your head for long periods of time, for certain. But otherwise, Piece of Mind is quite a consistent album and just brimming with energy and enough variation to keep you interested for ages. It seems like all of their best elements coagulate into possibly even their best release in my opinion. The playing is consistently enjoyable and they avoid filler at every moment, in comparison to The Number of the Beast or Powerslave, which have a couple of throw-away tracks like "Gangland" and "The Duellists".

Piece of Mind is just a roller-coaster ride from start to finish making it possibly the most essential of all of Iron Maiden's releases. The first first few songs in particular on the album are simply unmatched by almost any other one in the world and set the stage for a completely enthralling release through and through. When picking up Iron Maiden's albums, don't forget one of their most underrated albums that is often not given enough attention compared to some of their other releases. Piece of Mind is simply a stunning work from from beginning to end.

9.7/10

Official Iron Maiden Website
Official EMI Records Website

Personally I think this is the most overrated Maiden album. I never was able to get into it like all the others of the 80's, so I can't figure out why this one is so commonly ranked up there with their best. OK so it's more melodic than the first three, but it's also not as heavy. I disagree with your opinions on filler tracks, for POM certainly has its filler in Quest For Fire & Sun & Steel. IMO the highlights here are Where Eagles Dare, Flight Of Icarus, The Trooper & To Tame A Land, but the rest just didn't do it for me. It proved to be merely a writer's block though, because they did make a stunning recovery with Powerslave.

7/10 for me.

I suppose those two tracks could be considered somewhat as filler though I really enjoy them, but the album still holds together as a whole perhaps slightly better than Powerslave for me. Piece of Mind, The Number of the Beast, Seventh Son and Powerslave are all almost equally good, however, I'd say. This album just has a magical quality bringing it slightly over the top. It could be the vocal performance, which is possibly Dickinson's best work.

I got to agree with King here, this album is quite overrated imo as well, altho not as much as The Number of The Beast. which was big letdown after the awesome Iron Maiden, and Killers.

But speaking of Piece of Mind, some tracks here are mindblowing. The Trooper is an excelent example of how great this band can really be. Still Life is one of my favorite songs as well, even tho the chorus is slightly disappointing. And of course Flight of Icarus is a great ballad too.

7/10

My first, my favorite, and the best (or almost, tied with "Killers" :D).

And 'Flight Of Icarus' is the best song ever by Maiden! I born again because of that song and over 20 years later sounds as powerful as day one.

9.75/10

I remember the day that album came out.. I walked into the music store, bought the tape (remember those? :Smug: )... slapped it in my walkman and blasted the fucker on my way home from the mall.. I was blown away by every tune on that album. Seemed so heavy at the time but now it's just mellow 80's metal.