or

JudasPriestLogo.jpg

Thoughts...?

Iron-Maiden-logo.jpg

or

JudasPriestLogo.jpg

Thoughts...?

Ha! The never ending debate!!!!!

I could go on for pages on this one, disecting era by era for each.

I will leave this brief at first, and then maybe get more detailed later.

Here's the deal. Historically, I have always prefered Maiden and been more familiar with their entire catalog. Up until about 5 or 6 years ago, there had only been a couple Priest albums which I can honestly say I listened to and knew in their entirety (primarily Vengence and Defenders). To me, Priest always seemed a lot more simple and commercial driven than Maiden.

Over the past 5 years or so though, I have completely discovered Priest's ENTIRE catalog (aside from the Ripper albums, though I do know some select tracks from the 98 LIVE MELTDOWN double disc). My opinion of Priest has changed DRASTICALLY, as I have discovered MANY MANY amazing epic Priest tracks, such as Evening Star, Beyond The Realms of Death, Blood Red Skies, Touch of Evil, etc.

Overall though, I think it would be hard for me to ever definitively pick Priest over Maiden.

I have seen Halford solo, but finally saw Priest live for the first time ever (late comer to being a true Priest fan ,I know) on the Metal Masters tour a couple summers ago. Simply amazing. No other way to put it.

I will end now, since I have answered the initial question, with my pick being Maiden.

Maybe later I will go into more detail, as I have some issues with Priest I would like to discuss!

I've said it before... Seventh Son of a Seventh Son makes Somewhere in Time sound like a batter record then it was. In NO WAY can these 2 recordings be placed in the same category as Powerslave, Killers, or really any of the first 4 or 5 releases. Mikes fanboyism doesn't allow him to smell the scent of shit from the ass of Iron Maiden. All I can say, Mike... heaven can wait. LOL

No go listen to Turbo some more, you fag. LOL

Mikes fanboyism doesn't allow him to smell the scent of shit from the ass of Iron Maiden. All I can say, Mike... heaven can wait. LOL

No go listen to Turbo some more, you fag. LOL

Ouch...

As a bass player, I love Heaven can wait. It's got some great bass lines and it's a lot of fun to play. I admit that the chorus is cheesy but I don't listen to that song for the chorus...I listen to it (and love it) for the bass.

p.s.

You won't hear me
But you'll feel me
Without warning
somethings dawning
listen...

There are very few Priest albums that I like all or most of.

Stained Class, Hell Bent for Leather (Killing Machine), British Steel, Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller are albums that I love from cover to cover. I really love Unleashed in the East but since it's a live album I'm not really counting it among the studio albums.

Extra Credit: What do Unleashed in the East and To Welcome the Fade have in common?

I will take a stab, and say Neil Kernon?

Very good Jason. You have won...[drum-roll]...all of Vito's gear. Just message me about a time and place to meet you so that we can break into his place and claim your prize. :lol:

The only Priest album I like from front to back is Sad Wings.

I love Sad Wings of Destiny too but the live versions of The Ripper, Tyrant, Genocide and Victim of Changes on Unleashed are far superior to the album versions.

I never went in much for the Priest vs. Maiden debate as I think the two bands are so incredibly different from one another. As for my personal preference of which one I tend to listen to more often, all I can say is that I listen to more Maiden albums from start to finish than I do Priest albums. But Unleashed In The East is in my top 10 metal albums of all time.

Jumping in late, but trying to describe the greatness of Number of the Beast to Seventh Son is like trying to compare the greatness of Hemispheres to Signals (Rush). They're both excellent in their own rights, but the musical focus did shift from one album to the other. You can like one just as much as another, you're just using a different measuring stick.

Ken

Good point. When I was younger I really despised albums like Signals and Distant Early Warning, for alot of the same reasons I disliked Seventh Son. (i.e. too many keyboards, softer edged songs...) But now I really like those albums, especially Signals.

Oh I should add that a big part of my hatred for Seventh Son was also due to the song (and video) "Can I Play With Madness?" I still DESPISE that song. Headbangers Ball played that video soooooooooo muuuuuch back in the day, and it was one of their worst videos. I hate when they play that song live too, the way they very deliberately speed up on the choruses and slow way down on the verses. It doesn't sound clever, it sounds like Nicko is fucking up and I hate it, lol.

So you would take Rocka Rolla over Turbo?????

also, WTF is wrong with Nostradamus?

What's wrong with Nostradamus? Well, the first CD literally put me to sleep. The 2nd picked up a little steam, but sadly, not enough momentum to declare it one of their best works. Still better than Turbo though :)

The most untouchable CD in Priest's catalog is Defenders of the Faith :headbang:

Oh I should add that a big part of my hatred for Seventh Son was also due to the song (and video) "Can I Play With Madness?" I still DESPISE that song. Headbangers Ball played that video soooooooooo muuuuuch back in the day, and it was one of their worst videos.

Agreed, this video did not help them any.

I remember when that tour happened.
If I recall, wasn't Guns the original opener, but, as usual, Axl f'd it up and either canceled or got kicked off? I want to say Megadeth was the replacement.

Iron Maiden > Judas Priest

Maiden wins over Priest by a mile!!! (but I still love Priest :))

My favorite Maiden albums are Piece of Mind (I consider this one of the all-time great metal albums) and SIT. I loved SIT so much BECAUSE it was different from their prior material, but definitely just as bad ass. I haven't gotten into their later albums much - since No Prayer For the Dying.

Anyway, I still consider them as a favorite band, and their older stuff, especially all of Piece of Mind, will always hold a special place for me. There was a period of maybe a year where I listened to little else but PoM. Yea, you could say I was a tad obsessed...

Some favorite Maiden songs - Two Minutes to Midnight, Run To The Hills, Wasted Years, Sea of Madness, TAILGUNNER :headbang:, The Trooper, Flight of Icarus

Nobody writes a chorus like Maiden.

Heaven can wait,
Heaven can wait,
Heaven can wait,
Wait til another day.
[Repeat chorus]

If your sole contribution to this thread is to rip Maiden, you could have chosen an even simpler chorus....

You're time will come.
You're time will come.
You're time will come.
You're time will come.