Iron Maiden's gonna get ya!

JayKeeley said:
The worst production I have ever heard is on No Prayer for the Dying.

Harris at the helm is like letting a chimp drive a rickshaw. Come on, this is the man who thinks Janick Gers is worthy of keeping on.

Well this is where we differ....

I actually like Janick's playing, particularly on the X Factor, which Harris produced. Brave New World was Kevin Shirley, responsible for commercializing Dream Theater.

Oh yeah we differ on this one. I want Gers out with a passion.

I've never liked Gers from day one. He spoils the magic of the others around him - particularly Dave Murray...poor guy.

Smith inspired the other guys, but he can't do this with Gers in the middle waiting for someone to tell him his left from right.

JayKeeley said:
Oh yeah we differ on this one. I want Gers out with a passion.

I've never liked Gers from day one. He spoils the magic of the others around him - particularly Dave Murray...poor guy.

Smith inspired the other guys, but he can't do this with Gers in the middle waiting for someone to tell him his left from right.

I ain't even getting into this argument... :saint:

OK according to the mouth that blabbers, the "Give me Ed 'till I'm Dead" tour is hitting the states with Dio, Motorhead, Anthrax, and Ministry in support.

Who's going?

Who's taking their folks?

:headbang:

Demonspell said:
The NYC show is at the Garden on July 30 with the first two on the bill...tickets reportedly go on sale this Friday at 9 am...

WHAT THE?!

I'll be at Wacken. Oh well, I'll catch Maiden on the proper album tour. I've seen them so many times now.

Scratch that - I'll be leaving for London on July 26th which means I can squeeze in the Maiden show on July 25th in NJ (PNC Arts Center).

Anyone else going with us to Maiden this summer?

phyre said:
I just wish to state that Brave New World has a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE production. When I first heard MP3's I thought they were unmastered demo versions or something. HORRIBLE. Get Roy Z. Roy Z knows his stuff.

People who say Brave New World and The X Factor must have only listened to about five different albums ever. Ever heard Bathory? Venom? Burzum? Darkthrone? Fuck me, now that is bad production! TXF and BNW are as fine as you can do with Martin Birch (best producer EVER!)

Anyway, answer the original qs :)

Fave Maiden era: Dickinson
Fave songs from each era: Phantom Of The Opera, Hallowed Be Thy Name (tough one), The Edge Of Darkness (another toughie!)
Fave cover: Anthrax - Remember Tomorrow

Live albums....Live After Death and Rock In Rio rank as equals for fave Maiden one. Best one ever though? Slap up Whitesnake - Live In The Heart Of The City and Halford - Live Insurrection and they are all equals :)

phyre said:
Brave New World sounds HORRIBLE. I never said X Factor does, its production is at least 10 times better than the atrocity of BNW.

With all due respect, brother, I'm not sure if you've even got ears now. Are you foreign? ;)

"Produced by Kevin Shirley. Co-produced by Steve Harris."

I meant to say "withOUT Martin Birch" :erk: now I'm not sure if I've even got a brain :ill:

phyre said:
I am kind of exaggerating but I feel that no IM album has worse production than BNW. No, not even the S/T or "No Prayer".

No Prayer is the worst surely!

Brave New World should have been soooo much better with the three guitar harmonies. You'll be hard pressed to hear all three.

And besides, they wrote the album for two guitars so even when you can figure out all three guitar lines, two of them are playing the same thing, and the third is playing the harmony. Cop out!

This is why the next Maiden album, with everyone contributing, will be their absolute magnum opus of anything they have done since their turningpoint of Seventh Son. Harris HAS to let Smith and Dickinson contribute more to the writing because, you know, they're the ones with all the real talent, heh.

phyre said:
I am a true kvlt Swedish viking. I have ears, and they function very well. Brave New World sounds like absolute crap kthx. HONESTLY, when I first downloaded a few songs before its release, I thought "OMG, these are demo versions" because they sounded so terribly horribly terrible. I am kind of exaggerating but I feel that no IM album has worse production than BNW. No, not even the S/T or "No Prayer".

Dude, you are completely barmy, but respect for being Swedish ;)

I do agree with the three-guitar (or lack of) issue on BNW. I tried my hardest but the only song I think that sounded like it had three guitars was Fallen Angel. Didn't fuss me two much because the songs are fab. I really, really hope they utilise three guitars to their full potential on the next album, it would kick so much ultimate arse!

bloodfiredeath said:
Being that I act like Gers isn't even in the band, a recording that sounds like two guitars is fine by me. :)

You won't believe how many flame wars I've gotten into by stating that Gers should get out now and leave the boys to their business.

As for live reproduction, the same applies for the BNW songs. They kept the harmonies (or lack thereof) in place even when playing them live.

The absolute BEST place to hear how well Murray and Smith play off each other is on Live After Death. Very simply alternate your left and right speakers and you'll hear every fucking nuance each guitarist makes.

Gers can earn himself a place if he adds the third harmony (and stops writing shit songs, wanking the guitar, and breathing Smith airspace. There is nothing more blasphemous than seeing Gers 'play' the intro to 2 minutes to midnight whilst Smith stands idle on stage...that is taking the proverbial piss).

Gers' live antics certainly make for a great for a great show. Maybe let one of the other boys chin Eddie onstage ;) but it's real good fun. I got good memories from one of the Brixton shows of him larking with the axe. Keeps the energy flowing :)

I have an old Kerrang with a letter in it reviewing Reading '82, where Gillan played. If I remember rightly: "Gillan were fantastic, and Janick Gers will be acknowledged as one of the greatest axemen ever in the not-too-distant future". I say, give the guy more credit!

Ayeka said:
Gers' live antics certainly make for a great for a great show. Maybe let one of the other boys chin Eddie onstage ;) but it's real good fun. I got good memories from one of the Brixton shows of him larking with the axe. Keeps the energy flowing :)

Yeah but Bruce makes up for all that. He keeps the crowd going more than anyone. And it doesn't seem like Maiden were lacking in the Gers dept when you see/hear Live After Death....get him off I say.

I have an old Kerrang with a letter in it reviewing Reading '82, where Gillan played. If I remember rightly: "Gillan were fantastic, and Janick Gers will be acknowledged as one of the greatest axemen ever in the not-too-distant future". I say, give the guy more credit!

You did say Kerrang right? *cough*

The reality is, I don't really care whether Gers stays or not (although I'd prefer him gone). What I really want is for Smith and Dickinson to write more music and for Gers to come in and record harmonies and fillers only. If Smith and Dickinson can prove that they are still incredibly talented with albums like Chemical Wedding, then I can guarantee that Maiden still have what it takes to make another godly album.

And truth be known, Maiden have been sub-par since No Prayer for the Dying (for their standards), and yep, I include Brave New World in that shit list. Five good songs doesn't make a good album IMHO.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah but Bruce makes up for all that. He keeps the crowd going more than anyone. And it doesn't seem like Maiden were lacking in the Gers dept when you see/hear Live After Death....get him off I say.

The music is top-notch on LAD but the showmanship never really stuck in my head....maybe they could superimpose Janick on there or something :cool:

And truth be known, Maiden have been sub-par since No Prayer for the Dying (for their standards), and yep, I include Brave New World in that shit list. Five good songs doesn't make a good album IMHO.

That's pretty damn arrogant, bro. Just because you got a webzine don't make yer word gospel ;) all I can do is disagree. The X Factor and BNW are on my top 5 Maiden albums, X Factor has got some brilliant songs and a mood like none other. Virtual XI is a fine album, though flawed by two average songs taking up a quarter of it's playing time. You know what I think 'bout BNW :)
Truth be told, I don't think there'd be too much worry about songwritings. If I remember rightly the credits for BNW were pretty evenly spread. If it's Dickinson/Smith songs you're after...well, seeing as they've had time to settle in now, it would seem on the cards, ne?

Ayeka said:
That's pretty damn arrogant, bro. Just because you got a webzine don't make yer word gospel ;) all I can do is disagree. The X Factor and BNW are on my top 5 Maiden albums, X Factor has got some brilliant songs and a mood like none other. Virtual XI is a fine album, though flawed by two average songs taking up a quarter of it's playing time. You know what I think 'bout BNW :)

That's not arrogant - I'm just staing my opinon, and I would never claim to preach the gospel! :D I think it's great that you like stuff after 7th Son. I like some of it, but in no way near the same capacity as Powerslave, SiT, or NotB. There's got to be a reason why the band plays all their old stuff constantly, or the fact that Ed Hunter contains about 90% material from 7th Son and previous. Again, just stating opinions and general consenus.

Truth be told, I don't think there'd be too much worry about songwritings. If I remember rightly the credits for BNW were pretty evenly spread. If it's Dickinson/Smith songs you're after...well, seeing as they've had time to settle in now, it would seem on the cards, ne?

Right - that's what I was saying. And I hope you're right. There should be no reason for the next one to go sour.

:devil: Let the flame wars begin!

Sorry, but sometimes everybody gets under my skin at some point or another and this time, you're talking 'bout Maiden. :(

In my opinion, Smith lost a little bit of credibility with me when he jumped ship back in the day. Same with Bruce, however, luckily Gers was there with his energy. He has no writing credit on No Prayer For The Dying, where Bruce is responsible for atrocities like Bring Your Daughter...

Harris was in fine form on his tracks, like The Assassin, Mother Russia, title track, which is awesome.

Fear Of The Dark, again, Harris saves the day, title track, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, The Fugitive all great songs. However, a large portion of Dickinson's input was tired and worn out.

The X Factor, their best since 7th Son, the mood is amazing, like Ayeka said. Vocals were a bit off, but who's to say they couldn't go back in and record the excellent songs from here w/ Bruce, like Iced earth?
And gers was responsible for a few key songs here.

Bottom line, Harris is, was and always will be MAIDEN. The essential essence. Without him, there is no Maiden. Give me more Harris tracks anyday. At least I know what I'm getting. I can't think of too many Harris songs that I don't like.