is anyone here from uppsala?

TrueBeliever

michael
Jun 8, 2002
london
excuse me if its off-topic, but I'm going to be here for the next couple of months, and I was curious if anyone else knew anything about it

Well I'm not from there, but basically Uppsala is "the university" city of Sweden. Lots and lots of students there, I'm guessing that's why you'll be there? It has 2 universities, the main one obviously being Uppsala University (which is the oldest university in Sweden I think?), though Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet (Sweden's University of Agricultural Sciences) is also located there.

It has in the region of 120 000 - 140 000 people.. It's pretty flat and has a river that the city was established around (Fyrisån).. It's home to a few major corporations too (being Pfizer and MySQL AB).. Carl Linnaeus, Anders Celsius and Ingmar Bergman all hail from Uppsala.

Trevlig resa!

better you get yourself a bike when you are there for it is the city of bicycles. you have to see it yourself, it's unbelievable! More than in Holland and China combined :D

There is one big cathedral named "Uppsala Domkyrka". I bought myself a quite nice bookmark there but that's unimportant. ;) There are 4 or 5 rune stones just beside the church and another small and lovely church 2 minutes away.

oh yes and they seem to have a raven or crow plague there. I stayed there for 2 nights and saw like 300~500 birds at once flying past my window. hehe.

my brother is studying there, but I've only been there a couple of times personaly.

Anyhow, if you're gonna study there you're likely to have a good time. It's a very nice student town, with lots of gatherings and parties and lots of "student pubs" with cheap beer (compared to other places in Sweden, so that doesn't say much). Not to mention there's a slightly higher percentage of female students than of male dito!

If you aren't gonna study, you'll have to pay a little more for the beer, and during the summer a large portion of the student population will be elsewhere, but it's nevertheless a nice town.

Also, you could go visit the "Uppsala högar" which are the grave mounds of ancient great kings.

I have already seen the burial mounds (while listening to something suitably viking). I'm still looking for cd stores and the like, but havn't found anything distinctly metal.

Unfortunately being on the younger side (17) I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get that beer (probably at least harder than it was back in the states).

Hmm well I don't know of any stores.. Perhaps order some stuff? For something else though, "Fellini" is a restaurant like place that has some metal, but punk and rock too. It's at Svartbäcksgatan 7..

I don't know how much business they've been doing lately but check them out anyway!