Is GUS G. gonna join OZZY OSBOURNE?

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
I was just reading through all this Ozzy and Zakk Wylde news about how Zakk is apparently going to be out of a job as far as guitarist in Ozzy goes since Ozzy feels his music is sounding too much like Black Label Society lately. I agree that the music is too much a like and I think a new guitarist would be a good move. Ozzy made some mention of John 5 as a possibility but then went on to say that he is interested in a guy from GREECE. When I think of Greece and someone who can probably play Ozzy's material real well, the amazing GUS G. comes to mind. Gus did play Ozzfest a few years ago with Arch Enemy too so it could be that someone took note of him. Anyone think this is possible? I know for sure if Gus becomes Ozzy's guitarist I will totally be interested in Ozzy again and wanting to hear new material plus see him live. I think someone like Gus could be who Ozzy needs right now to save his career. I just hope that if it is Gus that Firewind does not suffer as a result and it can carry on like Zakk did with BLS and like Nikki Sixx does with Sixx AM and Motley Crue. Any thoughts?

Gus G would make the most sense. His main influences as a guitar player seem to be Ozzy's roster of guitarists.

Listen to Dream Evil's "No Way", which obviously seems to be an Ozzy tribute of some sort, and you'll hear how perfect Gus G is for the job.

And as much as I love Gus G's guitar playing, he's left a lot of bands and they don't miss a beat. I don't think Firewind would suffer if Gus G left. And it would be nice if someone could help Ozzy make an album that didn't suck.

Honestly, when he said that he was gonna audition "someone from Greece", he was definitely the first person that came to my mind.

I think that would make for some very interesting music, but Ozzy is toast. I think that the music would be greatly wasted no matter who he gets on board.

Man I hope so, that would be a welcome return to an appropriate guitarist for Ozzy. I'd be interested to hear what would come out of those sessions even though I wouldn't get my expectations up too high regarding Ozzy's performance. Never know though, he might surprise everyone...

First of all, I'm an Ozzy fanboy. I own everything the man has ever released. With that said, my favorite Ozzy guitarist is Jake E Lee. I've never been totally sold on Zak Wylde, eventhough I do like him. It's not so much his playing as it's his image. He just never really fit the Ozzy mold for me.

Gus G. on the other hand, would be killer! I hope you're correct GraveDigger. Gus G. has the look, the stage presence, and the hunger to shred Ozzy's songs to pieces! He would give a stagnat career a nice shot in the arm for sure. It does concern me about some of the modern era Ozzy fans accepting him though. Most of the fans seem to be stuck up Zak's ass for one reason or the other. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

Adaher,

I couldn't see Firewind continuing without Gus G. Though he was always merely a member of the countless other bands with which he's played (or a hired gun, as was the case with Arch Enemy), Firewind has always been his band.

That said, Gus could easily pull off any Ozzy tune. However, I don't know just how much he would be allowed to contribute to the songwriting. At the rate that Ozzy puts out albums these days, who knows if Gus would even last long enough in the band to see his name in the credits?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I can see why people, including myself, would automatically think "Gus G.!"...I mean, how many Greek guitar players do we really know of? LOL! I'm sure there are more guitarist in Greece than Gus G.

Gus would fit...no doubt...but I doubt Ozzy wants to make a "Metal" record...like Gus would write.

If it is Gus, I'm not sure he'd have the "leg room" to stretch out and really show what he's made of. His skill is way beyond a simple Ozzy song. Even if he gets to add a cool solo here and there, I'm not sure that would be enough for him :-\

Maybe the answer to the question in the title of the thread will be revealed in a few weeks (Aug 21-22).

"BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received word from a couple of different sources that 28-year-old Greek guitarist Gus G. (FIREWIND) has been tapped to play with OZZY OSBOURNE at the upcoming BlizzCon convention in Anaheim, California. It should be noted, however, that this information has not yet been corroborated by anyone in the Osbourne camp and should be treated as a rumor only."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=124630

This frankly just seems like people like us assume Gus because he's a Greek guitarist we know about since he plays in a band we like. As Pelata points out, there's more than a few guitarists in Greece.