Is it a real 80's burny?

If you look closely to the truss rod cover, it seems the guy just cut the little wings of the truss rod cover to make it look more like a first 80's burny model.
Usually Burny with "little wings" on the truss rod cover are form the mid 80's - 90's, while the classic "bell shaped" truss rod cover is from the late 70's first 80's.
I don't want to be victim of a scam.
Can you tell me if it's just me or it seems really strange?

2475090041_4c6468d983.jpg

I had a similar problem deciphering dates/aging when looking for an MIJ Greco, the best thing to do is use the Serial number if possible, and/or pickup cavities and neck tenon length. NEVER buy something solely on the basis of the truss rod cover, these things are so easy to change it can't be taken as valid provenance. I'd post any questions you have up on this forum, its small but has a few very knowledgable members who should be able to help you out: http://www.tokaiforum.com/

BTW I was pretty careful and ended up with a stunning '84 Greco LP Custom for really good money. The MIJ LP's are all amazing guitars.

Well, I checked the link you sent me.... It's hard to date them from the look of the truss rod cover because it could have been changed.
The cover doesn't look like an early 80's one because it has only one layer while it should be one black layer over a white layer (plus the bell shape of course).

What I can tell for sure is that the guitar is not an early 80's one because of the diamond logo on the headstock.
An early 80's one should look like this:
Burny%201.jpg

See the logo on the headstock?

It doesn't necessary mean that the guitar is bad but it's not the more sought after model. I think Michael Amott has a 90's model (x-mass tree shaped truss rod cover):

amottbro.jpg

I hope it helps. Good luck.:headbang:

Yeah thanks guys, to me that truss rod cover has been changed! I do think it just rasped the wings.
I knew about the tenon thing, but on the other pics he didn't show the cavity, I aked for better pics, biut ain't got a reply.
Yeah it's off ebay, I won't buy it!
I want an 80's model lol
hey ~burny~ did you buy yours from the ebay or what?
got any good webiste to look at?

Yes, I bought mine from ebay.
Search for Hisashi or Katana guitars. Both sellers are cool and trustworthy.
Not sure Katana guitars is still selling used guitars tho, but you can always send him a request.

Why not try to get an Edwards Les Paul, Mauri? They're a Japanese division of ESP that apparently is between top-end LTD's and ESP standards in terms of quality (in other words, really good)

I bought a Greco LP Custom last year and sold it a week later. If Greco ... go for the "highest" models (can't remember the model-names at the moment sorry). Burny's seem to stand over Greco qualitywise - at least the ones I played.
At the moment I save some cash to get me an Edwards LP Custom (maybe I take the whole steps and get me a "real" Gibbo Custom).

Well, Maurizio, this one looks more authentic. Still not the double layer truss rod cover but the diamond logo is the old one. I don't think 500/600 euros is too much but that's my personal appreciation. It seems to be in a really good shape.
About the pickup cover, it's usually soldered so if it changed, chances are that the pickup was replaced.
They are the weak spot anyway. They sound really good but some of them tend to become microphonic and trebly with age (like most 30+ years old pickup).

@Joe, the main problem with Greco is the huge range of models. I've played fantastic ones and not so great ones.
"Super Real" models are insanely good but damn expensive nowaday. Same thing with the older Tokai guitars. If you have a chance to try a "Les Paul Reborn", you'll be amazed.

Burny, you seem to be the MIJ-expert here, huh ;)

Last year I read every single article about MIJ-guitars that I could find. I also checked out the various brands.
Tokais and Orvilles seemed to be the most "perfect" copies - but they seemed to be ridiculously expensive. Is the Les Paul Reborn a Tokai-model?

I really want to check out the Edwards Laquer Taste Series. Nitro-finish, original specs, slightly "modernized" ... seems to be perfect for me. If they wouldn't be THAT expensive over here, I would buy an original Gibson in a split-second. The wine-red Custom makes me horny :D

Why not try to get an Edwards Les Paul, Mauri? They're a Japanese division of ESP that apparently is between top-end LTD's and ESP standards in terms of quality (in other words, really good)

Yeah I was thinking about getting this:
http://www.ishibashi-webshop.jp/shop/g/gelp105ce/

The point is the old 80's Burny do sound as an old 50's/60's Gibson!
That's it, I want that thick sound without spending 30,000$ (yes 30,000$)

Well, Maurizio, this one looks more authentic. Still not the double layer truss rod cover but the diamond logo is the old one. I don't think 500/600 euros is too much but that's my personal appreciation. It seems to be in a really good shape.
About the pickup cover, it's usually soldered so if it changed, chances are that the pickup was replaced.
They are the weak spot anyway. They sound really good but some of them tend to become microphonic and trebly with age (like most 30+ years old pickup).

Oh well they will be replaced by EMG 85 to get a modern paf sound lol
So it's a good investment!
Well I'm gonna think about getting this!

Insane thread. I don't like Gibsons because of the bulky heel joint and lack of upper fret access/existence, but the sheer audacity/flippance of the "Burny" plus its association with the forever immortal MIKE AMOTT make it cooler than any Les Paul ever devised.

Anything that reminds me of Carcass, Thin Lizzy, or Arch Enemy will intrigue me guitar-wise.

Thanks all for the info! :kickass:

Yeah I was thinking about getting this:
http://www.ishibashi-webshop.jp/shop/g/gelp105ce/

The point is the old 80's Burny do sound as an old 50's/60's Gibson!
That's it, I want that thick sound without spending 30,000$ (yes 30,000$)

Sexy. I like the ebony frett board.

Today I was at the guitar shop that I bought my Schecter C1 from, about two years ago now. At the time they had an old (not sure exactly which year) Burny LP. It played beautifully, but was abit beat up, so I let it go and went for the new Schecter.
Today when I went in with my mate to get a case for his ax, I was talking to the guy who worked there and that Burny came up in discussion. He told me that it was a "Randy Roads LP Custom" Burny, and that with me not buying it, another guy picked it up, had the shop fit a new, higher nut and raise the action so that he could turn it into a slide guitar.

I felt like kicking myself....

I'm finding this thread to be rather interesting. I'm gonna have to study up on these Burnys. Time to hit the Google again!
That black one looks pretty sweet.

Well... New... No mojo...:p
And the body shape doesn't look 1:1 like the so called lawsuit guitars...

Fair enough, but could I get one of those and expect a decent quality compared to the older "lawsuits" and the current original Gibsons?
A Gibson LP Custom is about $5000 here, so getting away with as good, or close enough for those prices would be quite nice...

Fair enough, but could I get one of those and expect a decent quality compared to the older "lawsuits" and the current original Gibsons?
A Gibson LP Custom is about $5000 here, so getting away with as good, or close enough for those prices would be quite nice...

In a word...no. The new Tokai's don't really hold a candle to the old ones and certainly aren't in hi-end Gibson territory. The new MIJ Tokai's are still pretty nice though, but the cheaper MIK's aren't worth the cash.