Is it normal that DI box adds a little....

xmortumx

Jun 17, 2008
hum to my amp?
Okay so yesterday I got my countryman type 85 on the mail and I tried it. So I use the DI box to split the guitar signal.. one went to my amp and the other one went to XLR to Firepod, and I noticed that my amp gets this extra hum sound(not very loud.. just and extra little hum sound) and yea I was wondering if that's normal from a DI box? Since with my previous crappy DI box did the same thing except the HUM sound was to fucking loud. And yes I did move the switch button up and down.. while it did help If i left the grnd switch on the DI signal would get distorted so I had to leave the switch open(and thats when i get the lil hum on amp, but I have to leave it that way or else the DI signal would get distorted).

anyone knows if im doing something wrong... or if thats normal?

hum to my amp?
Okay so yesterday I got my countryman type 85 on the mail and I tried it. So I use the DI box to split the guitar signal.. one went to my amp and the other one went to XLR to Firepod, and I noticed that my amp gets this extra hum sound(not very loud.. just and extra little hum sound) and yea I was wondering if that's normal from a DI box? Since with my previous crappy DI box did the same thing except the HUM sound was to fucking loud. And yes I did move the switch button up and down.. while it did help If i left the grnd switch on the DI signal would get distorted so I had to leave the switch open(and thats when i get the lil hum on amp, but I have to leave it that way or else the DI signal would get distorted).

anyone knows if im doing something wrong... or if thats normal?

Sounds like it IS a grounding issue.

If you lift ground, the DI gets distorted? That sounds VERY strange, indeed.

-Greg

Are you running the type 85 with phantom power or 9volt?

I'm going to guess phantom power and if so try using a 9volt instead and see if that helps.

yea dude i was running it with the phantom power of the firepod... but first thing ima do when i get home is try a battery... then let u guys know wat happens.

If you don't have a battery in there and you lift ground you are losing your only source of power (phantom) and thus it will indeed sound like shit or stop working altogether.

Yeah dude, use a 9v with it. Clean, consistent power never hurt anybody :p