Is it possible to shred with emotion?

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
So, I listen to shred fairly often. Its fun, I enjoy the technicality of it, and some of it is quite beautiful. But, I also enjoy the 'emotional solo'. Partly because it makes me more involved in the song, and also I tend to remember it better. For example, I can't remember any of the Joe Stump songs I just listened to. I remember enjoying them, but I can't recollect how they went or anything. If I listened to it again, it wouldn't feel new, and I'd probably recall it, but I can't close my eyes and do so.

Shredding is very 'classical' in the sense that it has a lot to do with expressing oneself in the complexity of music. Emotional solos/playing is thus, more of the romantic era that occured. As I sometimes say here, "At times I enjoy my Paganini, while other times I prefer my Chopin."

But what I'm wondering, is do you believe that you can get emotion out of shredding. You can expand shredding as far as you want. I won't just call it 'wankery' though, since I'd imagine that if you added emotion to it, it wouldn't be 'wankery' anymore.

Also, if you think some guitarists successfully do this, then please list them, and a good album/song to refer to.

I personally think Criss Oliva was at the top of his game when it came to technical playing plus emotion. The best example of that to me, and some may disagree with me, is his Prelude to Madness and the entire Hall of the Mountain King song.

eaeolian said:
Yes. Tell me there's not passion in the stuff on Yngwie's first solo album, and I'll tell you that you need to get your passion detector checked.

Beat me to it. I used to use Icarus as an example of shred with feeling every time.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Where???? :heh:

Maybe on the first 2 cds....... ;)

J-Dubya

I would say with the most of certainties his first 6 albums. I bet you dont even know what his first album is either? Huh huh!!!

Bear

Bear said:
I would say with the most of certainties his first 6 albums. I bet you dont even know what his first album is either? Huh huh!!!

Bear

First non-demo "official" release he played on? VR's Solders of the Night, and no, I didn't have to look that up! :guh:

That cd is ok, nothing great, by first 2, I meant his first 2 Shrapnel solo cds.....

a) couldn't agree more with Vai......

b) funny how Vinnie's VR appearance isn't mentioned in his bio.....Yes, I DID double check myself, and make sure I was right

:)

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
First non-demo "official" release he played on? VR's Solders of the Night, and no, I didn't have to look that up! :guh:

That cd is ok, nothing great, by first 2, I meant his first 2 Shrapnel solo cds.....

okay not bad. I love his Meltdown and Maze albums too!!Last time I talked to him he said he was doing another solo album but not sure what happened to that. I guess UFO did and the new one is okay, not great but some killer rock stuff in it.

pollution said:
Well for example I like some of Tony MacAlpine's shred stuff beautiful and emotional, dunno if it's just me :)

Tony MacAlpine: Tears Of Sahara video (not the craziest shred song, I know..): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHANPpj5vqY

Gimme a big kiss Aki <smooch>

Tony Macalpine - MAximum Security is a great example of a shredtastic album with emotion. Also anything Michael Romeo composes.