Is it possible to shred with emotion?

TheWhisper said:
Mystic mentioned one of my all time favorite guitar players...Gary Moore. Whether you want to call him a shredder or not, no one plays with more emotion than Gary Moore. Listen to 'Still Got the Blues' or 'Parisienne Walkways'...the emotions drips off these songs.

Definitely, I don't think you'll find a more emotional player than Gary; just about anything he does is excellent but make sure to check out "The Loner," "Empty Rooms," "Military Man" and "Murder In The Skies" - just screaming!

edgeofthorns said:
You're right, my bad. Honestly, I didn't start exploring his solo stuff until he blowed me away on The Live From The Dark DVD, so I'm still learning. :kickass:

I need to see that DVD!

MysticX9 said:
I think a lot of it has to do with vibrato, phrasing and the judicious use of melody, although ideally some of the gymnastics must be sacrificed to effectively include those elements...

Great point.. unfortunately opinions will be varied as much as the opinions on the "what is prog" thread. What constitutes a "shredder" as opposed to a technically superior guitarist who chooses when and when not to pull out the fancy stuff ? As usual it simply boils down to personal taste.

Bryant

TheWhisper said:
Mystic mentioned one of my all time favorite guitar players...Gary Moore. Whether you want to call him a shredder or not, no one plays with more emotion than Gary Moore. Listen to 'Still Got the Blues' or 'Parisienne Walkways'...the emotions drips off these songs.:worship:

Gary Moore is intense on a different level I think.. He's a Blues guy, But definetly tons of emotion going on in his playing, and the songs.. Empty Rooms, One of my Favorites.. :)

I think the word emotional is too relative. I'm just as guilty as the next guy when it comes to saying to friends or strangers "you can't hear the emotion in that? What are you deaf? But when it comes down to it, different strokes for different folks. Personally I find Paganini and Chopin to be emotional shreders on their instruments. I've read somewhere that Paganini used his 24 caprices to "warm up". If that's the truth... o_O I'm quite sure in his day though, Paganini endured much of the timeless "that's too fast, that's just wanking, there's no emotion in that, its not music" grumblings of the populace.

While alot of you have mentioned great players in this thread, I think Joel Gregoire (Stride) is a master at emotional shred. Of course I may be a little biased since I play with him.:lol:

Seriously, I've played with some great players, but none of them had the natural emotion of Joel.

AngraRULES said:
Speaking of emotional shred, tonight I'm going to see Eric Johnson live in NYC!!!

You lucky bastard! I don't see a Chicago date listed yet. Plus, looks like he's got the original band back with Roscoe Beck and Tommy Taylor. That will be an awesome show!

Throat For Stride said:
While alot of you have mentioned great players in this thread, I think Joel Gregoire (Stride) is a master at emotional shred. Of course I may be a little biased since I play with him.:lol:

Seriously, I've played with some great players, but none of them had the natural emotion of Joel.

Yeah, Joel ranks right up there with guys like Tony MacAlpine and Vinnie Moore when it comes to combining technique and emotion, awesome...:kickass:

Jasun Tipton - A Passage, Rebirth, Demise & Vestige...

Yes you can shred with emotion- if it is shred used tastefully (& often sparingly) to accentuate an intense segment, and transitioning into another non-shred section.

The phrase "too much of a good thing is bad" comes to mind here. If shred is used to accent or impress or throw feeling behind, then doing it all through a song or album demotes it to 'background' considering its everpresence lacks the tasteful silences between which make music so worthwhile.

rockyracoon said:
You lucky bastard! I don't see a Chicago date listed yet. Plus, looks like he's got the original band back with Roscoe Beck and Tommy Taylor. That will be an awesome show!

Must have been, since I ended up not going. LOL

TheWhisper said:
Mystic mentioned one of my all time favorite guitar players...Gary Moore. Whether you want to call him a shredder or not, no one plays with more emotion than Gary Moore. Listen to 'Still Got the Blues' or 'Parisienne Walkways'...the emotions drips off these songs.:worship:

"Still Got the Blues" is one of my all time favorites. Can't play with more emotion than that in my opinion.... Love Gary Moore.

Throat For Stride said:

Absolutely!

I would say yes it's possible but very few guitarist acutally pull it off. Petrucci is a classic example for me. His solo/leads while technically perfect leave very little impression on me. I hardly remember any of them. For me, I find that when it comes to shredding it's not very emotive....from any guitarists.

My all-time favorite lead in any song is in Queensryche's The Killing Words. DeGarmo's lead is very short and might not even be considered a "solo" or "lead" by most prog metal standards. However, I've yet to hear a guitar "sing" like that and it gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. DeGarmo's guitar is absolutely dripping with the anguish and sorrow being convey in this song.

Later
Phil