Is it possible to shred with emotion?

MetalAges said:
Gimme a big kiss Aki <smooch>

Tony Macalpine - MAximum Security is a great example of a shredtastic album with emotion. Also anything Michael Romeo composes.

With George Lynch and Jeff Watson too, killer album!!!!

Heavenly Call said:
I would argue that Joe Satriani would be the master of "meaningful shred". Some of his guitar lines function better than some singing lines I've heard.

I thought his guitar was more effective than any vocalist would have been on "Is There Love In Space?". As you said, you could almost here the vocals in his guitar lines...

Criss Oliva. The main reason he is my favorite guitarist is precisely because he could play so incredibly and intensely with a very powerful level of emotion. The few instrumental tracks he did are just amazing.

I think Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans Mind) really blends the emotics with the technical playing very well as does/did Wolf Hoffmann (former Accept.) It is tough to label either of those "shredders," but they certainly possess elite chops, however, they seem to take composition and note selection above circus tricks.

Bryant

I'll probably get my ass kicked for saying this, but I'm going to anyway. John Norum is another amazing guitarist that shreds with emotion. If you don't believe me, then listen to his solo stuff! The dude has one of the best tones I've ever heard! He kills on the new Europe - Live From the Dark DVD! \nn/

edgeofthorns said:
I'll probably get my ass kicked for saying this, but I'm going to anyway. John Norum is another amazing guitarist that shreds with emotion. If you don't believe me, then listen to his solo stuff! The dude has one of the best tones I've ever heard! He kills on the new Europe - Live From the Dark DVD! \nn/

Not at all, John is a devastatingly good player, one of my favs for melodic and emotional shred...

Bryant said:
I think Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans Mind) really blends the emotics with the technical playing very well as does/did Wolf Hoffmann (former Accept.) It is tough to label either of those "shredders," but they certainly possess elite chops, however, they seem to take composition and note selection above circus tricks.

Bryant

Exactly! I think all the players mentioned are shredders in their own way, it's just that the bar has been raised so high on technique that the older players may seem tame in comparison. In addition to those already discussed, some of my favorites for emotional shred include Gary Moore, Michael Schenker, George Lynch, John Sykes and one we can't possible leave out - Shawn Lane (RIP). I think a lot of it has to do with vibrato, phrasing and the judicious use of melody, although ideally some of the gymnastics must be sacrificed to effectively include those elements...

edgeofthorns said:
Cool! His first solo disc with Glenn Hughes on vocals is a classic in my opinion. :kickass:

That one was actually his second solo disc (FACE THE TRUTH), the first was
TOTAL CONTROL but you're right, it is a classic!!! :headbang:

Mystic mentioned one of my all time favorite guitar players...Gary Moore. Whether you want to call him a shredder or not, no one plays with more emotion than Gary Moore. Listen to 'Still Got the Blues' or 'Parisienne Walkways'...the emotions drips off these songs.:worship:

MysticX9 said:
That one was actually his second solo disc (FACE THE TRUTH), the first was
TOTAL CONTROL but you're right, it is a classic!!! :headbang:

You're right, my bad. Honestly, I didn't start exploring his solo stuff until he blowed me away on The Live From The Dark DVD, so I'm still learning. :kickass:

Always With Me Always With You.. To this day gives me goose bumps.. Ton of Feel in that song...

Heavenly Call said:
I would argue that Joe Satriani would be the master of "meaningful shred". Some of his guitar lines function better than some singing lines I've heard.