Is the Axe-FX just a passing fad?

wow... this thread is just going nowhere... and seriously... there's some pure stupidity for the sake of stupidity going on in here. It's really not that hard to understand. The 5150 may sound however it sounds etc, but that sound is UNIQUE to the 5150, the 5150 is the amp you attribute with that particular tone. You don't have to like it, it just IS that way though. The AXE - FX ... MODELS the 5150 tone. So when you hear it, you're not MEANT to think, OH an AXEFX, you're meant to think OH 5150! So don't try to argue any different, because it's wrong, PLAIN wrong. It doesn't sound exactly like a 5150, and that's fine. Because for live use, the difference is probably neglegible and it's handy as it has satisfactory amp simulation, with apparently, state of the art effects. And that's great. But you must be plain simple to argue that the 5150 and the AXE are both fads blah blah... the 5150 is a unique amp that has been used for many years due to ease of use, favourable tone and character blah blah. Just like the recto for heavy modern rock, just like marshalls for old school rock blah blah. they paved the way.

The axe doesn't pretend to change the playing field, it's not bringing a NEW amp into existence. Yet again, it's another modeller. Just of better quality with more gadgets. And guess what, don't get to upset, but it will be surpassed. Because better digital technology will come around, and there will be more convincing models.

But the 5150, the SAME peavey 5150 will be used countless times.... on countless recordings.

Now that's not saying the AXE is bad, I'm not on the side of AGAINST the axe. I'm just not that stupid to pretend its some unique amazing life changing piece of gear... it's just a better quality modeller with great effects built in. If I toured, I'd use it live, in a heartbeat. Why would I bother lugging my 10 space rack around when the axe would sound fairly similar, and people in the crowd wouldnt care??? They wouldnt...

But when I go into the studio, I'm aiming for my tube amps, mic'd up exactly how I want it to get the perfect tone for me. Why would i cheapen it by recording with an approximation of the amp I want to use??? I'll use THE amp i wish to use, and when im on the road, ill approximate the studio with a MODELLER which SIMULATES to some degree the real thing...

really... it's not a hard concept. for both sides of the argument... :S

This is what I've been trying to say for two days now.

Yea, I'll add that's why I got it initially too.. my rig was a huge pain in the ass to lug around and it seemed to solve those problems with something close enough that the typical audience member wouldn't notice anyway. And the feel was good, specially the sensitivity to dynamics, I haven't played another modeller/whatever that gets it like the Axe. Since then it's turned into mostly an easy recording setup, I don't have anything setup for the kind of volume to mic a cab so it's just easier. Usually when I play live though I use my Diezel.. that thing just kicks all kinds of ass.

snacks.gif

Massive? Negligible - it's the last 10-15% of the tone. The meat is in the amp.

I have to say, I think you're wrong. Strings+plectrum are one of the fundamental sound creating tools in the guitarists kit bag. They form the basis for what the rest of the components have to work with. There is a cascade effect, and I think at the end of the chain they affect the tone a lot more than you're giving credit for.

I bought some months ago. It has cured my GAS completely on the guitar-sound-sector. I can use it at home where I cannot run a real amp, I can run it live where the FOH guy loves me for having a good sound without too much noise on the stage.
Does it 100% copy the realamptone? Who cares. It provides the sound, I like for my crappy guitarplaying and my bassplaying. And if its not the Amp-Sim-Section. I tested alot of multi-FX Devices. Digitech, Boss, Line 6, TC.. none of them beats the FX Section of the Axe FX. None of them brings the possibilities to route the sound, most provide static effect-sections etc. Axe FX lets you design you sound by using a 12x4 Grid to layout your Effectchain. Is it too expensive? I don't know. Take a good FX Unit, a good sounding Amp and everything you need to record it... It's not really more expensive than a normal Guitarsetup. And with your normal Setup, you have 1 Amp.
Would I use it in a studio? If the Amp I want to record is available, I think I would choose the real deal, but I would still use the FX-Section. If the Amp we need is not there, or we want a Sound, we cannot build with available Amps, I think it might be possible to use it. Perhaps as Preamp only, Perhaps completely by using IRs.

Its the Result that matters, not the way you archive it!

I have to say, I think you're wrong. Strings+plectrum are one of the fundamental sound creating tools in the guitarists kit bag. They form the basis for what the rest of the components have to work with. There is a cascade effect, and I think at the end of the chain they affect the tone a lot more than you're giving credit for.

Definitely gotta agree with Jeff. You're starting to sound a bit crazy, man. The difference between string brands/gauge sizes usually comes down to brightness, which can be accounted for with amp settings. Different picks do affect the sound slightly... they usually make the attack sharper or smoother, but again... it's not drastic.

I also gave my opinions a few pages back explaining problems I had with it (after owning for 2 years), and it was ignored because you guys were busy bickering.

I bought some months ago. It has cured my GAS completely on the guitar-sound-sector. I can use it at home where I cannot run a real amp, I can run it live where the FOH guy loves me for having a good sound without too much noise on the stage.
Does it 100% copy the realamptone? Who cares. It provides the sound, I like for my crappy guitarplaying and my bassplaying. And if its not the Amp-Sim-Section. I tested alot of multi-FX Devices. Digitech, Boss, Line 6, TC.. none of them beats the FX Section of the Axe FX. None of them brings the possibilities to route the sound, most provide static effect-sections etc. Axe FX lets you design you sound by using a 12x4 Grid to layout your Effectchain. Is it too expensive? I don't know. Take a good FX Unit, a good sounding Amp and everything you need to record it... It's not really more expensive than a normal Guitarsetup. And with your normal Setup, you have 1 Amp.
Would I use it in a studio? If the Amp I want to record is available, I think I would choose the real deal, but I would still use the FX-Section. If the Amp we need is not there, or we want a Sound, we cannot build with available Amps, I think it might be possible to use it. Perhaps as Preamp only, Perhaps completely by using IRs.

Its the Result that matters, not the way you archive it!

Exactly, and that's the major problem with it. There are still pretty much no results rivaling professional modern metal guitar tones you hear from big name producers. They are all still using mic'd up amps and cabs.

As far a bass tones go, I think a lot of people still prefer the POD over the Axe-FX for bass tones. Even Meshuggah's bassist is still using the POD, and I believe Bulb is still using the POD for bass (although I'm not a big fan of the guitar sounds on their cd, anyways...) and I still haven't heard a high gain Axe-FX guitar tone on any album or EP that sounds as good as the high gain POD guitar tones guys like Joey Sturgis and Joshua Wickman (both producers on this forum) have used.

Definitely gotta agree with Jeff. You're starting to sound a bit crazy, man. The difference between string brands/gauge sizes usually comes down to brightness, which can be accounted for with amp settings. Different picks do affect the sound slightly... they usually make the attack sharper or smoother, but again... it's not drastic.

I also gave my opinions a few pages back explaining problems I had with it (after owning for 2 years), and it was ignored because you guys were busy bickering.

It's a lot more than brightness, but hey... feel free to think what you want to think.

In my experience, string gauge (less so with brands) has a massive effect on the tone of my guitars. This is through the same amps too. My sound changed significantly when I started using Jazz III's too.

I also can't believe people are calling the 5150 a fad. That's one hell of a "temporary fashion" if you ask me.
I've owned my 5150 for 16 years and still using it at live shows and for recording to this day. I'm sure tons more are.
How many people have used a fractal axe fx for 16+ years?
I think only time will tell if an axe fx will be a fad or not but come on guys! At least make better counterarguments.

I also can't believe people are calling the 5150 a fad. That's one hell of a "temporary fashion" if you ask me.
I've owned my 5150 for 16 years and still using it at live shows and for recording to this day. I'm sure tons more are.
How many people have used a fractal axe fx for 16+ years?
I think only time will tell if an axe fx will be a fad or not but come on guys! At least make better counterarguments.

I think if you go read again, no-one actually said the 5150 was a fad.

Dude... you're in a death metal band. You have no monopoly on intelligence!

lulz.

I think i need say no more... Yours obviously a dull person and your arguments are seriously misinformed. And if you feel that making a judgement on my intelligence due to the genre of music I play... In an argument about tone... Generally high gain tone... Then I say good night sir... I SAID GOOD NIGHT SIR!

I think i need say no more... Yours obviously a dull person and your arguments are seriously misinformed. And if you feel that making a judgement on my intelligence due to the genre of music I play... In an argument about tone... Generally high gain tone... Then I say good night sir... I SAID GOOD NIGHT SIR!

:lol:

I bought axe-fx few months ago and have really mixed feelings about it.
To me the bottleneck is definetely the impulses that mostly are unusable for metal. They are static and fizzy just like Pod and other simulations.
Otherwise Axe is incredibly versatile and adjustable, kinda like Gran Turismo of guitar fx-devices.
Anyway heres a clip of a band that I recorded that is not so djenty stuff, more like Haunted's stuff done entirely with axe. The tone is ok, but not great, missing some mids that are really hard to get from the unit.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4176454/Axe/Axefx.MP3