Is the Axe-FX just a passing fad?

I still haven't heard a high gain Axe-FX guitar tone on any album or EP that sounds as good as the high gain POD guitar tones guys like Joey Sturgis and Joshua Wickman (both producers on this forum) have used.
Take a listen to the latest Whitesnake. It is A-FX quad tracked, there is a post from guitar player talking about it somewhere on this forum, it was marshall blended with mesa. And I am sure this is just to name a few..
A-FX is also realy great with the real miced cab. Just using it as an amp. Aspecialy for modern fast tight engl-ish tones. I can never achieve that fast attack on palm muting with my 2ch recto head.

I love my AxeFX. I can do whatever I want with it. And more. I'm rehearsing now with my thrash project and I'm using an SS power amp into two 4 ohm Marshall 4x12s, while the other guitarist use a Diezel VH4 and a Marshall 2210 into the same cab setup. There are minor differences in the sound, like a 10kHz fizz in the tube amps that I don't have, also the amps are humming and the Boss NS-2 have slower attack than the AxeFX gate/expander. When I feel like it, I add whatever effect the particular song needs, even pitch shifted my guitar to drop G for a riff (the other guitarist had more guitars, I only had my RAN explorer). My rig is an Ultra (€2000)and a Crown XTi1000 (€539). His rig is a used VH4 (€2000), a JCM800 2210 (old one, value?), a split box, two Boss NS-2, a Korg chromatic tuner, a Whammy, and more. Pretty much an equal rig, until I change to a "space-floating-whammy-multi-chorus-pitched-fucked-up" patch and we just starts to laugh. Then go back to the thrashing. :)

Both of us are completely happy with our rigs, except for that humming part. My 0.02.

Please continue.

Take a listen to the latest Whitesnake. It is A-FX quad tracked, there is a post from guitar player talking about it somewhere on this forum, it was marshall blended with mesa. And I am sure this is just to name a few..
A-FX is also realy great with the real miced cab. Just using it as an amp. Aspecialy for modern fast tight engl-ish tones. I can never achieve that fast attack on palm muting with my 2ch recto head.

please tell me your joking, Doug Aldrich using this i dont believe it.:loco:.i love his tone! we need some proof dude..

Riiiiight... an amp that's been around for almost 2 decades and is still being hunted down for its sound and reliability is the same thing as something that's been around for what? a couple of years? and has not yet stood the test of time?
How can you even think it's the same? Just wow...

I seriously think you guys are just saying it's the same because some people on here throw the word "fad" around with the axe fx. I never once claimed it's a fad. I simply stated that the 5150 is not a fad and that the axe fx has not been tested yet.
So please try not to take offense and turn it into ridiculous statements.

Riiiiight... an amp that's been around for almost 2 decades and is still being hunted down for its sound and reliability is the same thing as something that's been around for what? a couple of years? and has not yet stood the test of time?
How can you even think it's the same? Just wow...

I seriously think you guys are just saying it's the same because some people on here throw the word "fad" around with the axe fx. I never once claimed it's a fad. I simply stated that the 5150 is not a fad and that the axe fx has not been tested yet.
So please try not to take offense and turn it into ridiculous statements.

You really need to calm down :lol: I'm by no means taking any offense at all to the Axe-FX being called a fad. But if people use one definition of the word 'fad' to describe something, they have to be consistent. The 5150+Mesa combination fits this description: "a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group."

The earliest reference I can find to the Axe-FX is from 2006 so I assume it was introduced then. In the intervening 4 years, its been picked up by some REALLY big names, starting from nothing. The 5150 started out as Van Halen's signature guitar amp and was marketed by a huge music company. Most of the 5150 tones that we all know and love weren't recorded until nearly 10 years after the 5150 was introduced (or at least, that I know of!). Also, the Axe-FX is on version 10 right now, with each version giving a noticeable improvement in features, number of amp models/effects, and sound.

Most of the 5150 tones that we all know and love weren't recorded until nearly 10 years after the 5150 was introduced (or at least, that I know of!).

Heartwork was recorded 2 years after the 5150 was released.

Some of you guys love the Axe - some of us don't. I really don't care who likes what, I just want someone who stands firmly behind the Axe to post a clip of a Sneap style tone that doesn't suck - the same thing I've been asking for since well before 2008 when I actually bought one based on word-of-mouth (and not clips) like we currently have now, found out it sucked for the style, and returned it.

Drew you sniveling little cunt just STFU already :p . Go buy your AxeFartX and STFU. You really belong on SS.org not on this forum. This is not the place for AxeFx bullshittery and "how do (insert plugin of choice here)". The people that get quality mixes here get them cause they use REAL amps and REAL Speakers. Not emulations of the stuff.

The only reason you are even on this forum is so you hope one day to have a conversation in some measly little thread about nonsense that Andy posts in so you can tell your friends you talked to Andy. Your music, while kick ass, does not even fit into the style of music discussed here. You have pissed off many a forum member and do everything you can to get dig's in on any member who has any difference of opinion from you in any thread you post in.

I have had my rants for sure, and I have been upset by more then one person on this forum at one time or another, but I at least listen to the advice given to me and try and not to start threads that I know will cause controversy. You my friend are a Troll of the highest order, and have been since the day you joined this forum. Why are you even here? Are you trying to learn how to record? If so, since when do you have a "metal" band? Your band is ambient hard rock at best, 90% of the how to get "guitar tone" tips aren't going to help you here, the drum tips, shit like that is great, the overall mixing stuff, ehhh maybe it will help in certain situations. But 90% of the recording things discussed on this for for how to record "sneap style" metal dont apply to the music you play. if you are hear to learn these things then thats great and all, but learn to just shut the fuck up and learn.

Now, I have purchased your CD, and I listen to it quite frequently, but I highly suggest if you really want your band or you to go anywhere and make any fans, that you change your attitude when people give you differing opinion then your own. I made all of my points in this thread early on, and you got butt hurt cause I told you the AxeFX was a waste and you are better off with the real thing.

By the way what have you ever contributed to this forum other then controversial threads and wankery?

please tell me your joking, Doug Aldrich using this i dont believe it.:loco:.i love his tone! we need some proof dude..

Sory man, I haven't gpt much time for detailed googling. All I remember that it was surely posted on this forum OR maybe on gearslutz, don't remember which one exactly, but I guess it is more likely to be Sneap one. And the guy even posted a link to their myspace for everyone to take a listen to that new song from the latest album that was recorded with Axe-FX. It was just before the album release. like an internet single or what..

Drew you sniveling little cunt just STFU already :p . Go buy your AxeFartX and STFU. You really belong on SS.org not on this forum. This is not the place for AxeFx bullshittery and "how do (insert plugin of choice here)". The people that get quality mixes here get them cause they use REAL amps and REAL Speakers. Not emulations of the stuff.

I very rarely post 'how do' threads. I often get involved in 'how do' threads to advise people 'how do' ... so um.. your point isn't valid.

The only reason you are even on this forum is so you hope one day to have a conversation in some measly little thread about nonsense that Andy posts in so you can tell your friends you talked to Andy. Your music, while kick ass, does not even fit into the style of music discussed here. You have pissed off many a forum member and do everything you can to get dig's in on any member who has any difference of opinion from you in any thread you post in.

This is just completely below the belt and totally uncalled for. You'll notice early on in this thread me and Jarkko had an exchange, and we agreed on our differences. But the difference is, he didn't come into the thread throwing his weight around, not reading posts properly, and subsequently making claims that held no weight.

You effectively told me that I had not used the Axe-FX, when a few posts prior, I had told everyone that I just got back from checking one out at a guys house.

I have had my rants for sure, and I have been upset by more then one person on this forum at one time or another, but I at least listen to the advice given to me and try and not to start threads that I know will cause controversy.

I didn't start this thread. I haven't really started many threads that were meant to cause controversy. Maybe one or two... but it was in a light hearted fashion I assure you :p

You my friend are a Troll of the highest order, and have been since the day you joined this forum.

Why attack my character to make your points? That isn't necessary.

Why are you even here? Are you trying to learn how to record? If so, since when do you have a "metal" band? Your band is ambient hard rock at best

That is undoubtedly true. But I don't just record for my band, I record other stuff for myself too. I've learnt a lot here about production. That is why I am here. In my time here, I've learnt to respect many people here. I have healthy conversation with a good few people here. I considered you one of those people until this thread.

90% of the how to get "guitar tone" tips aren't going to help you here, the drum tips, shit like that is great, the overall mixing stuff, ehhh maybe it will help in certain situations. But 90% of the recording things discussed on this for for how to record "sneap style" metal dont apply to the music you play. if you are hear to learn these things then thats great and all, but learn to just shut the fuck up and learn.

I tend to get involved in equipment discussions the most - as I am a gear whore. I also get involved in the odd rate-my-tone thread, because if I have some thoughts that might help someone, I'll air them. I also occasionally get involved in production discussions, and I've started a few threads that aimed to collect information together. I also have a lot of love for the off-topic banter here, because this forum actually has some balls, and balls are awesome. :err:

Now, I have purchased your CD, and I listen to it quite frequently, but I highly suggest if you really want your band or you to go anywhere and make any fans, that you change your attitude when people give you differing opinion then your own.

But you're acting like I'm saying your opinion is wrong. I've never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

My entire problem with you in this thread is that you've made claims that simply are NOT true.

I made all of my points in this thread early on, and you got butt hurt cause I told you the AxeFX was a waste and you are better off with the real thing.

Again. Not true.

By the way what have you ever contributed to this forum other then controversial threads and wankery?

Well I could ask the same thing of you buddy. But look.. when you say things like:

you make these outlandish claims having never even used one, and you just judge by the tone you hear online that it HAS to be an AxeFX cause they claim it is

When clearly I said I tried it. It just makes you look like an asshat man. I have no problem with your opinion - you don't like the Axe-FX enough to spend the money. That's fine.. no problem.

But you're putting words in my mouth. You're calling me a whiny bitch and telling me that I'm crying because no-one agree's with me that the Axe-FX is worth the price... and that's just your over the top melodrama. There was a discussion going on until you came in. Literally your first post was attacking me, calling me a cunt, calling me a bitch, and trying to say that I think the Axe-FX is the best thing ever and will be forever and ever.

And that was way before I said a single word to you on the subject. Take all these facts into consideration, and I think most people will at least admit that you're being a dick - no matter what they might think of me.

PS: Thanks for buying our CD. Glad you like it. If it weren't for this forum, it wouldn't sound as good as it does, and I'm going to try to my utmost to make the next one sound much better.

Dude, shut the fuck up, right now - you are guilty of this very same thing. All you do is stir up shit and cause trouble and don't give much back. If you want to hug Drew's nuts in a PM, so be it - stop fucking up the forum I've loved for god knows how long.

I very rarely post 'how do' threads. I often get involved in 'how do' threads to advise people 'how do' ... so um.. your point isn't valid.

This is just completely below the belt and totally uncalled for. You'll notice early on in this thread me and Jarkko had an exchange, and we agreed on our differences. But the difference is, he didn't come into the thread throwing his weight around, not reading posts properly, and subsequently making claims that held no weight.

You effectively told me that I had not used the Axe-FX, when a few posts prior, I had told everyone that I just got back from checking one out at a guys house.

I didn't start this thread. I haven't really started many threads that were meant to cause controversy. Maybe one or two... but it was in a light hearted fashion I assure you :p

Why attack my character to make your points? That isn't necessary.

That is undoubtedly true. But I don't just record for my band, I record other stuff for myself too. I've learnt a lot here about production. That is why I am here. In my time here, I've learnt to respect many people here. I have healthy conversation with a good few people here. I considered you one of those people until this thread.

I tend to get involved in equipment discussions the most - as I am a gear whore. I also get involved in the odd rate-my-tone thread, because if I have some thoughts that might help someone, I'll air them. I also occasionally get involved in production discussions, and I've started a few threads that aimed to collect information together. I also have a lot of love for the off-topic banter here, because this forum actually has some balls, and balls are awesome. :err:

But you're acting like I'm saying your opinion is wrong. I've never said that. You're putting words in my mouth.

My entire problem with you in this thread is that you've made claims that simply are NOT true.

Again. Not true.

Well I could ask the same thing of you buddy. But look.. when you say things like:

When clearly I said I tried it. It just makes you look like an asshat man. I have no problem with your opinion - you don't like the Axe-FX enough to spend the money. That's fine.. no problem.

But you're putting words in my mouth. You're calling me a whiny bitch and telling me that I'm crying because no-one agree's with me that the Axe-FX is worth the price... and that's just your over the top melodrama. There was a discussion going on until you came in. Literally your first post was attacking me, calling me a cunt, calling me a bitch, and trying to say that I think the Axe-FX is the best thing ever and will be forever and ever.

And that was way before I said a single word to you on the subject. Take all these facts into consideration, and I think most people will at least admit that you're being a dick - no matter what they might think of me.

PS: Thanks for buying our CD. Glad you like it. If it weren't for this forum, it wouldn't sound as good as it does, and I'm going to try to my utmost to make the next one sound much better.

Oh just a agree to disagree then move on .... lol

Yup. That's cool with me. I apologize for antagonizing you with the smiley - didn't need to do it, and was a shit thing to do. Lets just steer clear of winding each other up.

Dude, shut the fuck up, right now - you are guilty of this very same thing. All you do is stir up shit and cause trouble and don't give much back. If you want to hug Drew's nuts in a PM, so be it - stop fucking up the forum I've loved for god knows how long.

Oh Jeff just STFU ... I'm not getting into this debate with you. Everyone here know how much you give back to the forum. If we all had as much time as you do I am sure we would all give back just as much. Sorry but I have a fucking day job and othe things in my life then just sitting in a studio all day recording bands. Wish I could afford that luxury but I cant.

You yourself are guilty of starting BS threads as well, so don't you go getting all holier then though on this mother fucker cause Ill bite ya head off. So I advise everyone go have a shot, then we all just STFU and let this fucker die a horrible death.

This thread is AWESOME!

Oh yeah:
life_is_pain.gif

Please continue.

Hey guys, I got my AxeFX Standard last week and I haven't played this much guitar in a long time. It's a great piece of gear. It's not as easy to set up as a real tube amp, but once you get the hang of it it becomes easier and much more intuitive. I have owned a Crate BV120HB, Crate BV150HB, Mesa Mark IV, Line 6 Flextone, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 5150, Randall RM100, and some shit amps not worth mentioning. The AxeFX can pretty much cover any of those tones and maybe even does them better. I'm currently running the AxeFX Standard into the effects return of a Crate BV120HB and then into a Mesa 4x12 oversize cab. The cleans on this unit are as good as it gets. The distortion tones are trickier, because you have to play around with them a bit to get them to sound the same as the real thing, most importantly the damping and sag features.

I don't like 90% of the stock presets because they use a lot of reverb and effects and they just don't sound right to me. I'm more of a "less is more" person when it comes to effects. I made a couple of my own presets and they sound great. I haven't had a chance to record anything yet but I will soon. The tube tone and saturation is there, I don't know if it's mostly because I'm running through a tube power amp, but playing through my setup would be indiscernible from a real tube preamp and power amp setup.

So does it live up to the hype? To me it does. :kickass:
I can see why a lot of pro guitarists are switching to the AxeFx and I wouldn't be surprised if in five years a lot of studios have one in their rack.

On their latest album, "Good to be Bad", they say it's a Voodoo Amps V-Rock used for the guitar tones.