Is there a standard rate for paying your Feat. artist?

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I am working with a band that are recording their debut album with me after 3 successful single releases. They are in a position to do well off the back of this album so they have asked a well known artist to collaborate on a track in order to boost sales.

I feel they have been over charged for this service and while its not my place to say anything I thought I would ask if there is an average rate for this service.

Is it normally a one off $$$ fee or is it normal to ask for a % of the royalties?
This is a very well known artist where I come from.

Cheers.

one off fee is standard, usually by the time youre breaking you ought to have enough established friends that you dont need to pay though

As with all things, people ask for what they want, often times more with the expectation of negotiating. I don't think there is any set rate for this sort of thing though. If they are writing lyrics or parts I'd expect them to ask for a writing credit (and thus backend on publishing $).

He has written a bridge vocal part (so lyrics) and recorded his bit and thats all and is asking for 30% of song royalties...
What do you think?

Pikachu: there's the old saying in the music industry when it comes to credits and royalties: "change a word - get a third!". In the end Tony Hawk said it best when he said "It's not what you deserve or what you think you are entitled to - it's what you negotiated!".