Is this a good or foolish idea in presenting a new game?

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
LotFP: RPG playtesting is going slowly. None of the people who have contacted me about playtesting seem to have actually tried playing the game as of yet, and I feel like I've been at a standstill for months in progress as far as finally getting the game out.

So how is this idea?

Announce that it's going to the printer at a set date... July 1 2005 is what I'm thinking at the moment.

Put up pdf copies of ALL playtest versions on my site for free download. Version 0.0, 0.1, etc.

Within those pdfs mention the print date that will include up-to-the-minute rules updates and corrections, and offer the chance to pre-order the print version at a 30% discount up to the print date.

The purpose of this will be to generate exposure and hopefully real play by people I don't know (my own playtesting becomes worthless after a point I think, like proofreading your own writing).

It's not really for raising print money and I'm not expecting anybody to actually take advantage of that, just figure I should put it out there, couldn't hurt.

Is this a good idea or is it ruining any small commercial viability the printed version could have had?

Just thinking out loud here. :D

(the agreement with the original playtesting pool would remain in effect)