November 12 2005 Update!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Good news and bad news about LotFP: RPG.

The bad news is most of the information on the website is now woefully obsolete and I need to fix all of it!

The good news is that the latest rewrite of the rules is going splendidly and is far superior to anything to date. Like I'd say anything different, right? Or would be making an announcement if I didn't think so...

Anyway, current plans:

In the coming weeks and months, as the notes are transferred to real text, chapters will be uploaded to the LotFP: RPG's download page here: http://www.lotfprpg.com/downloads.php. See it in bits! And the website info will all be updated as the first chapters are uploaded.

Eventually, all of the rules will be free to download from the site. Playtesting, you see. When I'm confident with feedback and my own playing of the game, then the material will be revised and real editing and layout done for a commercial pdf release (again, rock bottom pricing). And then print.

It will be one rulebook. Not limited to 32 pages. But the price will be rock bottom, designed for minimum loss, not profit. Whether we will go through the low-cost Small Publisher's Co-Op printing (saddle stiched, all b&w, to be sold for $5 post paid worldwide), or the more flamboyant possibilities of lulu.com (color cover, perfectbound, $10 post paid is what we'd be going for) is unknown at this time, but we will have physical books at the end of this mess and they will not cost what other RPG books cost.

Changes to the game: Being honest, a "fantasy heartbreaker" is what I wanted, so why not focus on it? So the whole thing will no longer be a low rent GURPS ripoff. Instead, it's going to be a high rent D&D ripoff! The intent isn't to get on store shelves or become a serious profit source. Selling a few hundred would be splendid. And it can easily be used as a base for spinoffs if the motivation is there.

The system will be opposed tests, but based on rolling quantities of four sided dice. Yes, a d4 game!

Character information will still fit entirely on an index card. There will be four character classes. Several standard races. Magic. A creature generator (no garbage "monster lists"). Even a mass combat system since every single bit of fantasy or sword and sorcery literature ends in a war! Basically, a little-to-no prep time oldstyle fantasy RPG that still has solid rules keeping it all together. I'm gonna be pissed if the "searching" rules are not original. :p

Those who have seen the combat system say it resembles Tunnels and Trolls, but I've honestly never played or read that game so who knows.

And truckloads of examples showing how easily the whole thing actually plays and a handful of sample adventures.

And a limited open game license in faint hopes that other people will make support materials because I don't know if I can be arsed to make more professional products after this is all done. heh.

... and next month, I'll be in Finland for at least three months again. If you are in Vaasa, or know anybody in Vaasa... please get in touch... to play!

Four hundred views for this post? Holy crap, are people paying attention?

Anyway, here's what's going on:

1- Bad focus. I've moved from Kissimmee, Florida to Vaasa, Finland.

2- I'm getting married in 18 hours.

3- No internet connection where I'm living until January 27 if everything goes as it should.

By that time, the whole 'moved and married' will be over, and there will be a pulse for this game.