Is this how to use a preamp with IRs?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Remedial gear question time. :)

I'd like to try recording using a preamp, but am a little uncertain as to how exactly to go about doing this. As I understand it, it's done like this,

Guitar> pedals> preamp> attenuator> USB interface> DAW> IRs

Is this correct?

Also, which preamp out do would use and why?
preamp3.jpg

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

if you have xlr inputs in your interface use the balanced out. if not use just the other pl output. the di should be plugged in the input. i guess its in the front?

You don't need to use an attenuator. Just use the XLR output on the pre into your XLR input and use the impulse on that track. Otherwise use one of the 1/4" jack line outputs into your interfaces line input.

D'oh! I has one xlr mic input right in front. I must be blind!

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I thought an attenuator was needed. So you wouldn't need one then?

You only need an attenuator with a power amp.

You can use the unbalanced preamp outputs to plug into the line level inputs on your interface, or the 'common efx' send jack into the interface.

You only need an attenuator with a power amp.

You can use the unbalanced preamp outputs to plug into the line level inputs on your interface, or the 'common efx' send jack into the interface.

Much appreciated!

if you have xlr inputs in your interface use the balanced out. if not use just the other pl output. the di should be plugged in the input. i guess its in the front?

Does using the xlr out sound better than the 1/4th out?

Yes the signal will be cleaner.

Guitar>Pedals>Preamp>Interface

a power attuenator is only used when you're running through a tube power amp. Tube preamps don't require a power soak unless they're attached to a power amp.

Yes the signal will be cleaner.

Guitar>Pedals>Preamp>Interface

a power attuenator is only used when you're running through a tube power amp. Tube preamps don't require a power soak unless they're attached to a power amp.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up.