Single Channel Mic-Preamp?

I've heard good things about the ART units. But if you only need one channel get the Studio Projects VTB1 and you have a very nice preamp (SS clean or tube mojo flavour) and a very good DI with 1,5 MOhm impedance. And because the unit has a very nice price get a FMR RNC to go along with it and you'll be set.

just my opinion

m-audio dmp3 for your application!!!!
similar in design as the ms1b, same opamp, but dual channel.
i have them both and the dmp3 will really suit your needs.
there's no need to pay more. :)

i've looked at the mpa gold myself...is it a pretty decent selection for a home/project studio, doing mainly guitar stuff?

I have the ART Pro Channel mic-pre (the single channel, and not the Gold version). I got this over the Gold because I had heard this was better for vox. While I cant argue that one way or the other cuz i've not used the GOld, I can say that i like this mic-pre because it gives you alot of control, brings some tube warmth, and is very transparent. thats what i wanted to start with, transparency in sound. ($300 US)

I had originally started with a basic presonus tubepre single channel ($100 US). , which i actually really like. I couldnt stand the presonus comp, returned that right away. it really colored the sound, and not in a good way. but the tube pre brings some nice warmth to the sound, and I still use it and still have friends borrowing it to track things like bass.

I recently purchased the Joemeek OneQ ($650 US), interested in catching trying something that adds a more "classic" sound to round out the transparent ART piece. I must say, i really like the amount of control it gives. while its not a tube mic-pre, it brigns some interesting color to tracks. I love what it did for my bass tracks. I'm just going in DI through the joemeek and it added thickness and warmth and just overall goodness. On the vox i really like it too, but i honestly havent experimented enough with it yet to really discuss thoroughly.

also, take all this with a grain of salt, as i've never used $2000 Avalon and Neve's.

I have heard a lot of good things about the ART actually. But almost everyone pretty much stops using it when they get better pres.

But to be honest, in Pre's I would go cheap or expensive. The middle ground just adds fluff for not that much improvement.

But there are some gems in the low-end. The VTB-1, DMP3, and Rane MS1b are clean and just fine. Some people will still use the VTB-1 as a DI even if they own nicer pres.

After that I wouldn't bother with anything until you can hit maybe the Grace m101, Daking Mic One, or the UA Solo stuff at $700 roughly. The 4-channel Sytek is in that range too.

Arguably there is also the RNP and the Black Lion Mic Pre and the Groove Tubes brick.

Once you hit the $1000+, there are lots of stuff. I personally would avoid anything else sub-$500, unless it is multi-channel.

I just recently blogged about this similar topic:

http://ortizaudio.blogspot.com/2008/10/microphone-preamps-go-high-end.html

The pre's in the Art not too great? This is what I was curious about.

To be honest I haven't used the MPA Gold. But I have used their MP and TRS series. Basically the little starved plate tube and the dual channel purple one. While they are pretty good, they aren't as good as anything $500+. Noisy and the tube is basically useless.

Personally if I had $300 I would save another $300 and try to get into that 500-1k range. Or just get a cheap $150 DMP-3 or VTB-1 and a $150 condenser mic. Basically go cheap, or go high end, and avoid the middle.

I just read about a guy who tried that on Gearslutz and he only reported minor changes..
I have no idea myself.. Just for info..

And I've read about 10 threads on GS that say exactly the opposite :p

We're talking NOS tubes though, Telefunkens, Mullards, JAN Philips etc

Personally if I had $300 I would save another $300 and try to get into that 500-1k range. Or just get a cheap $150 DMP-3 or VTB-1 and a $150 condenser mic. Basically go cheap, or go high end, and avoid the middle.

I respectfully disagree, unless you have a seriously high-end room and monitoring chain then you will not reap the benefits of a $1000+ preamp compared to a mid-range one. And just with any musical equipment, price and quality are do not keep a constant ratio once you hit a certain point. Whereas the difference between the pre's on my Inspire and something like an RNP would be quite noticeable, doubling your budget would not get you the same leap in quality.

I respectfully disagree, unless you have a seriously high-end room and monitoring chain then you will not reap the benefits of a $1000+ preamp compared to a mid-range one. And just with any musical equipment, price and quality are do not keep a constant ratio once you hit a certain point. Whereas the difference between the pre's on my Inspire and something like an RNP would be quite noticeable, doubling your budget would not get you the same leap in quality.

I dunno dude, the cool thing about preamps is that even if you don't have a good enough monitoring chain to appreciate it yourself, it'll still be recorded there so someone else with better speakers will be able to! :lol: And furthermore, I think it's not only about little details, but also about how balanced tonally things are, thus how well they'll take EQ and sit in the mix. And while I'm the first to admit that I don't have enough experience with pres in the $500-$2000 range to judge what how significant/insignificant the improvements would be, I have to ask - do you? ;)