People with different USB Preamps, read this!

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
I am very curious about this.
I'd like to hear some guitars miced up through different USB preamps, to hear the difference in quality.

Kinda like micing up your cab, do a small reamping through interface A, keep the exact same mic position (and amp settings) and plug the XLR into interface B and reamp it again.

If anyone could do this for me, that would be much appreciated!
Doesn't matter which USB preamps you have, I just wanna hear how much of a difference can occur by just having a different preamp.

Best SOUNDING and cleanest on the market is the Apogee One its a single input interface.

In order of quality pre's
1. Apogee One - One input
2. Saffire 6 USB - 2 Inputs - One Midi
3. Presonus Audio Box - 2 Inputs - One Midi
4. MBox 2 - 2 Inputs

You will get the least amount of coloration from the Apogee, then on down the line.

If you need more then 2 then you need to go Firewire.

Best SOUNDING and cleanest on the market is the Apogee One its a single input interface.

4. MBox 2 - 2 Inputs

You will get the least amount of coloration from the Apogee, then on down the line.

I would not really recommend the Presonus Audiobox. I have one and it have 2 flaws (at least): it get audio drop outs and the preamps are way to hot. Recording even with the gain at the lowest, for me it clips if I have full volume on my guitars (passives as well as active pick ups)

I changed to TC Konnekt 6 (firewire) which is so much better. Much more stable and nicer preamps. I just got a firewirecard into my computer since I did not have a firewire port. Important is to have a Texas Instrument card

Thanks for the info.
I wonder where my fast track pro would go in the list.
The preamp volumes on the fast track pro are really nice imo.
Only problem I'm having now and then is that I need to turn it on and off, seems the audio stops working now and then, it could be just a driver bug or something.

4. MBox 2 - 2 Inputs

You´ve forgotten the Fireface UC... Sure it´s a bit expensive but still usb