Is This Site Really Legit?

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
I just want to know what you all think. This effects Katatonia as well because they pretty much have all of the catalogue and singles. I'm for supporting bands 100% and I want to make sure if I purchase music that it is actually going to the bands. If this is legit, then it's great because if you download the client you can check all full (low quality) songs before you buy and they have some really hard-to-find stuff available for good prices (where the hell else are you gonna find bands like Empyrium and October Tide's "Rain Without End")? I hope it's legit because I can start easily checking out new bands again and buying stuff I can't find anywhere else. Just seems too good to be true. Mods, please feel free to take down the link if you find it's not legit.

(I took it off) I think Jesse is a good enough person to listen too. You may want to inform Anders about it. Not sure if anything can be done, though.

Please let me know.

That site is unbelievably non-legit -- it's flat out illegal. That's the most outrageous example I've seen yet of fucking a band straight in the ass..

Not just illegally distributing their album, but PROFITING off of it. Don't support this mafia/scum-bag operation. When I first saw this page a number of days ago my jaw was wide open in disbelief and disgust.

By the way -- I've seen several other sites almost identical to this.. sick shit. No fan of music should support these assholes.

I've edited my first post as soon as I saw Jesse's reply. Perhaps ColdDarkNord could have a bit more info on it, as well, since he's actually from Russia.

The real shame if it is completely illegal, as Jesse assumes, is the rare shit that can't be found ANYWHERE. The only other option is something like eBay, and the bands don't get profit from that either (unless that's how they actually distribute their music or rare items). The stuff I can get at a shop or at an online shop is no problem, really, because if I can get a hard copy of something, I do.

jesse said:
Unfortunately I'm not assuming, they are infact illegal. Anders was the one who showed me these sites in the first place. It's very difficult to do anything about this.

That really sucks. Good news is I did find some Empyrium on eBay (shipped from Germany). If anything, I can literally USE these people to find and listen to new bands (since they have so much rare stuff on there) and then look for legit ways to purchase the stuff. :devil:

jesse said:
Unfortunately I'm not assuming, they are infact illegal. Anders was the one who showed me these sites in the first place. It's very difficult to do anything about this.

What kind of site is it? (I don't want a link, I just missed this) Are they selling illegal copies of cd's? Or letting you download songs after you pay them?

Seems like Trav said:
What kind of site is it? (I don't want a link, I just missed this) Are they selling illegal copies of cd's? Or letting you download songs after you pay them?

It's basically pay to download CDs at very cheap prices. They claim to be legal by paying all licensing fees or whatever. It just seemed a bit shady (and too good to be true) to me, that's why I had originally posted the link here for others to give their opinions on it or say something if they knew.

MountainDweller said:
It's basically pay to download CDs at very cheap prices. They claim to be legal by paying all licensing fees or whatever. It just seemed a bit shady (and too good to be true) to me, that's why I had originally posted the link here for others to give their opinions on it or say something if they knew.

What about those so called "legal" mp3 sharing sites. Ive always wondered if the musicians actually get money from these sites?

I'm not sure I know of any legal mp3 sharing sites (other than ones where you promote your own band).

It's kind of funny, though, because Empyrium (and others) suddenly seems to be available on Amazon as well. I remember searching all over the place for their stuff years ago and not finding a thing.

is it one of those russian sites? i'm not sure they're illegal if you're actually in russia, something of a loophole in russian law or whatnot

yeah but scum for sure, if you positively cannot find october tide or whatever i think everyone would agree that it is preferable that you just download the album for free somewhere instead of paying people who have nothing to do with the band or record company

Erik said:
is it one of those russian sites? i'm not sure they're illegal if you're actually in russia, something of a loophole in russian law or whatnot

yeah but scum for sure, if you positively cannot find october tide or whatever i think everyone would agree that it is preferable that you just download the album for free somewhere instead of paying people who have nothing to do with the band or record company

Yeah, it was one of those. The thing about "Rain Without End" is that it CAN be found, but on eBay where people are paying upwards of $50 for it. I'd rather just send Jonas £10 for a copy, even if it was just CD-R.

better yet, send him £1 so he can buy a STAMP and send a MASTER CD-R to any of the COUNTLESS metal labels that would undoubtedly line up to re-release that album :D (not that i'm bothered; i already have my $50 "rain without end" secured)

ah, and VIC RECORDS is even active again -- maybe it's time to pester them to re-press it, eh.

if you spare sometime to browse russian www's you will find more than 10 sites with shitloads of metal mp3's that are even free, no charge at all. Like the infamous NNM site where you can download all katatonia and likes albums for free.

Bariel said:
if you spare sometime to browse russian www's you will find more than 10 sites with shitloads of metal mp3's that are even free, no charge at all. Like the infamous NNM site where you can download all katatonia and likes albums for free.

This was the first site of this kind I'd seen, and it was because someone told me about it. So, yeah, if any of you come across these "legal" Russian pay-to-download sites, don't give them your money. Unfortunately the fishyness of it didn't set in until after they got $10 from me. I jumped the gun because I saw the prices and most importantly all those CDs I'd been trying to get a hold of for ages. It wasn't until afterwards that I thought I should maybe ask here to make sure.

Since I had paid, I downloaded a few albums/songs to use up my credit (may as well use the bandwidth they pay for), but now I'll also be paying to buy Empyrium's "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields" from CDON.com (since I now know it can be found). I'll also be redownloading the random songs through iTunes/Napster to make sure the artists get their royalties.

One positive event from this is that Epica now have a new fan and I'll be buying their CDs as well (you may laugh, but I think the music is great and whoever the singer is, she has a great voice).

So, yeah, another lesson learned for me and a warning to everyone else about those sites.

You can crusify me later but I Download illegally rare stuff...untill I can find it for a normal price or if it's rereleased. I sure as hell not gonna pay 50$ for "Rain without end" or any other cd for that matter.
Sending Blakkheim money for a cd-r copy is cool and everything but cd-r's as we all know it don't have protective silver coating and therefore they lose data over time...after 3-4 years I'll have a piece of plastic that skips and full of static...and I take good care of my all my cd's.
I have "Rain without end" copied from an Original CD and I would like to have an Original before the cd-r starts fucking up