Isis, These Arms are Snakes, Mare show recap

mindspell

vvv Jake's ass vvv
Jul 6, 2002
Montreal
www.mindspell.org
Nice crowd, a few hundreds at least, I was surprised because it was a tuesday night after all and Datarock were playing at another venue so that took of the indie hipsters out of the picture.

Mare: great music but Tyler clearly need an adjustment with his on-stage persona. He is a pretty boy and knows it, he faked intensity during the song and played rock-star in between songs. Not exactly the kind of attitude you'd expect for a band of that notoriety. Comparatively, the other bands were very low key, humble and professional.

These Arms are Snakes: Not my cup of tea but a good intensity and a nice mood breaker in between the two more depressive bands. I am sure I have seen them sometime in the past but I can't remember when. I enjoyed the set but is unlikely I will run to the store to buy all their albums. I liked Botch better...

Isis: was basically what I expected: good execution of songs I know very well, nothing more. No particularly good or weak points to the performance. The songs were so similar to what is on record that I did not find myself very engaged by the performance although they were very good. No surprise, no disapointment.

wish this was coming here. ISIS were really good last time i saw them (fall 2002 i think for oceanic). totally should've bought a ton of the Oceanic vinyl and resold it on ebay a year later.

Somebody give me an idea of what TAAS sounds like, so I can decide whether to see their set next Tuesday or just show up a bit later in time for Isis.

I got a ticket for myself and for my friend Tom some weeks ago, through Ticketmaster, and we did indeed pay a hefty service charge. My roommate may come, but she's waiting until day-of, so the show might be sold out (?).

I e-mailed with Colin Arctopus recently and he offered to put me on the guest list if they end up with extra spots, but since I have tickets I told him to pass it off to one of you guys if you can't get tix. I think Forbes may have already staked a claim, but not sure.

The Dope said:
Somebody give me an idea of what TAAS sounds like, so I can decide whether to see their set next Tuesday or just show up a bit later in time for Isis.
Noisy old school punk-hardcore with plenty of electronics and bleeps and shit to make it more interesting. Has some guitar leads too which is not the kind of thing you usually hear with this kind of band.

one time a confluence of some mandatory-donation thing and a super-exorbitant service charge from Ticketmaster caused me to pay something like $25 for an $14.50 ticket.

Y'all got fucked, just show up at the door and hope that tickets are still available. the only point to buying early is if it is going to sell out or its cheaper.

I can understand people not liking TAAS, they do not really fit with Isis. But honestly, if I had to go through Mare, some other depressive band (Tarentula Hawk for example) and then Isis I would've wanted to kill myself.

also, I like to have the option of showing up whenever I want, including "just before the header goes on" (although I usually like seeing openers). I hate stressing and rushing around just so I can go stand in line and get a ticket before they sell out.