Islamic invasion - in your countries?

I know you didn't mean it in that way, but that's almost insulting. I can't stand the global political puppet show. If, however, you were to give me a flamethrower and then send me into a political office, then yes... I would most gladly oblige.

You will never make it into politics with such clear and honest language. You actually said something. You need some doublespeak in there so you can not be held against anything, especially your word.

You are not going to get a "flamethrower" and then "gladly oblige" in a "political office" because you think its all a "global political puppet show".

You are going to give "advanced temperature induction" in regards to a "alternative human resource turnover" in the "proxy business sector" because you think its all a "positive decoy attainment".

Browser just deleted my epic-sized post here, so apologies if this comes off as bitter, since I'm having to recite the fucking thing for the 2nd time now.

I was originally going to respond directly to the OP, but I saw the above post and it caught my attention. It appears reflective of a popularizing state of mind in western society. The deference of responsibility on account of perceiving the power structure to be corrupt and out of touch, hence rendering one's own actions as meaningless in the face of it. Nowhere is it more readily apparent than in the wake of the onslaught of information being given to us by Snowden, in the face of an overwhelmingly indifferent public. On a regular basis we're being told of grievous abuses of illegal powers by our respective governments, a violation of our collective trust, and rarely anyone seems to care.

To follow through, of course you can blame Americans for Guantanamo Bay. You pay taxes don't you? You rampantly devour the onslaught of frivolous products and luxuries granted by your corporatocracy, don't you? You don't take part in direct, physical civil disobedience, do you? These powers have only been taken from you because you allowed it. Whether or not you realize it, you all continue to directly support it, despite claims of hopelessness. Through a generation of sleight of hand, manipulating the flow of information, capitalizing on apathy and the inherent flaws of the capitalist system, you had that power stolen. You are as much at fault for the actions of your government as I and my countrymen are for our own. The government exists to serve the people - not the converse. The government is a reflection of the populace it represents. If it is hijacked, corrupt, self-serving and manipulating then it is because the populace allows it to be, and hence is deserving of it. Nobody is going to give you the power back. You have to take it for yourselves.

Few things pain me more than having to witness this global shepherding experiment, that appears to be working all so well with the means of control currently in play. Those in the majority are so distracted by the frivolities of the economic rat race that they have no concept of what is going on around them. Those who have some inkling of an idea feel it's beyond them and are consequently indifferent. Those who are in the know feel so overwhelmed by the extent of the putrid corruption that they feel entirely helpless to act. That's the sign of our times - direct slavery turning into economic enslavement. Everything is more subtle. The means of control are working behind the curtain now, we all do our respective puppet dances, and the governmental double-speak continues to dictate the way we see the world around us.
Great post. Slave To The System has a song that fits this topic:

"I got my innocence I got my trial - And everywhere the rain falls we won't complain - We're disinfected so cool, and that's all right - Sleep tight at home tonight - Everything will be alright - Don't blow me up just yet - I'm having too much fun, I'm American"

Last edited by a moderator:
The notion that if you're not actively engaged in armed rebellion than you're part of the problem is laughable at best, but it's at least a bit ironic having been spouted from a keyboard in a first world country (especially one that gobbles the shit out of American pop culture and just elected a leader that makes Michelle Bachman look sane). I'm not trying to get personal, Ermin, but what part of your day involves armed rebellion? How do you actively combat the powers you so fervently despise? I know that lumping you in with all Australians like I did above isn't quite fair but are you parading machine guns on the street? If the average American is guilty then you need to take that finger and point it at a mirror.

The notion that if you're not actively engaged in armed rebellion than you're part of the problem is laughable at best, but it's at least a bit ironic having been spouted from a keyboard in a first world country (especially one that gobbles the shit out of American pop culture and just elected a leader that makes Michelle Bachman look sane). I'm not trying to get personal, Ermin, but what part of your day involves armed rebellion? How do you actively combat the powers you so fervently despise? I know that lumping you in with all Australians like I did above isn't quite fair but are you parading machine guns on the street? If the average American is guilty then you need to take that finger and point it at a mirror.

Not sure my support/opinion is at all convincing to most of the folks on here given what happened in ye olde Syria thread, but OMFG THIS.

Everyone goes through a youthful phase when they think everything in the world sucks, multinational corporations are evil, politicians are corrupt, etc. But most people also gradually grow out of it when they live in the real world and begin to understand the cultural, political, and economic pressures on policymakers, firms, and countries, and they dig deeper than the frankly batshit insane opinions spouted by internet conspiracy theorists and redditors. A lot of those statements are true to a degree, but I don't think most people are led to conclude that the solution is armed resistance, nor do they attribute the actions of an entire governmental structure to its people.

By that logic, I could pretty easily say Ermin caused the deaths of a bunch of Indonesian or Somalian refugees because his country voted to elect a PM who wants to prevent them from reaching Australia in makeshift rafts, and that makes him guilty of flagrant human rights abuses, so I'm going to go through molotov cocktails at the Australian embassy. But that would patently absurd. Although quite a few of you seem to be okay with rejecting refugees, so perhaps that's a bad example.

I don't want to be condescending because so many of you are unbelievably helpful when it comes to engineering and music stuff, but it does seem like at least a plurality, if not a majority, of the folks in this thread remain in the mindset I'm describing, whether it's public policy or views of global and local cultural evolution. And to be frank, like Jeff alluded to, some of it sounds like it's either (a) pseudo-revolutionary pop politics espoused by fringe groups, or (b) borderline dangerous armed militia type stuff.

Not sure my support/opinion is at all convincing to most of the folks on here given what happened in ye olde Syria thread, but OMFG THIS.

Paraphrasing from a friend, but everyone who thought the US was evil in that thread for wanting to invade Syria have turned around in this thread and said they want all of the brown people deported from their own country. Interesting, to say the least.

Missed the part of my post which said 'You are as much at fault for the actions of your government as I and my countrymen are for our own.'?

I'm not trying to take the high ground here, Jeff. I'm acknowledging a reality, and admitting fault as much as pointing it out. Of course Australia is no shining beacon. At what point did you get the inference from me that it was? I hold no allegiance to the collective state of mind here. This isn't an exercise of 'my country is better than yours'. No - we're all fucked. Just in subtly different ways. The current Liberal government here passes a point beyond being simply terrifying and actually becomes partly comedic. 70% of our populace voted these clowns in based on a propaganda smear campaign run against the the last governing party by a good friend of the Liberals, who just happens to own a hefty portion of our mainstream news services. They didn't even release a budget until 3 days before the election. People still voted them in. At this point 'armed rebellion' is a bit of a stretch. I think simple awareness is a fair bit higher on the priority list, as it appears most people don't even know what they're doing - particularly that they vote against their own interests.

He's Dead said:
Everyone goes through a youthful phase when they think everything in the world sucks, multinational corporations are evil, politicians are corrupt, etc. But most people also gradually grow out of it when they live in the real world and begin to understand the cultural, political, and economic pressures on policymakers, firms, and countries, and they dig deeper than the frankly batshit insane opinions spouted by internet conspiracy theorists and redditors. A lot of those statements are true to a degree, but I don't think most people are led to conclude that the solution is armed resistance, nor do they attribute the actions of an entire governmental structure to its people.

Must say I find it a bit ironic that a 23 year-old is implying I'm going through a 'youthful phase', but hey, cool beans. Maybe you just matured a bit quicker than me?

I'm not sure where 'everyone' that goes through this phase is, as it certainly would represent a whole lot more support for the types of movements and arguments I try to engage in. People don't go through that phase. They don't like to think too much. They like being comfortable, and they don't like change. If they decide to look past the curtain, they might see a few things which unsettle them, or even make them a little angry for a while, but it's okay, their attention span is short, so it's soon back to the daily grind.

No, the vast majority experience a grinding apathy, which comes from being brow beaten by the frivolity of every day life for years. The struggle to survive in a shitty economic environment, the insecurity of not having a partner or future family prospects, the manufactured need to have 'more' than everybody else. They rarely ever stop to look back at why they function the way they do. Or why the world around them continues to function as it does. People don't 'grow out' of anything. They let life beat them, they resign and live their lives following the same pattern that countless before them did.

I do, however, like the implication that people 'grow out' of this apparent rebellious phase after they live in the 'real world'. The condescension in these posts is palpable.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Bosnia, 1992. I was there. Look it up. I've seen the 'real world'. In fact, it impressed itself upon me at one of the earliest possible ages.

There is no irony better to me than those who say 'how can you make these grandiose statements of rebellion, sitting cushy at home in the first world'. I wasn't always here. I had my stint with poverty, relocation and sheer terror. The fact that people who grew up in the sheltered middle class of the western world are talking about living in the 'real world' to me is about as deliciously ironic as it is laughably depressing.

That being said, if anybody here wants to make a discussion about 'the cultural, political, and economic pressures on policymakers, firms, and countries', then I'm all for it, man! Should we start with Chevron suing the Ecuadorian denizens of the Amazon, after dumping toxic waste into their home for the last 4 decades? I'd love to hear about the pressures they're experiencing. I bet their profit margins took a hit and upper management lost a few yachts in the last fiscal quarter. Tragedy!

He's Dead said:
By that logic, I could pretty easily say Ermin caused the deaths of a bunch of Indonesian or Somalian refugees because his country voted to elect a PM who wants to prevent them from reaching Australia in makeshift rafts, and that makes him guilty of flagrant human rights abuses, so I'm going to go through molotov cocktails at the Australian embassy. But that would patently absurd. Although quite a few of you seem to be okay with rejecting refugees, so perhaps that's a bad example.

What our government is doing re: taking in asylum seekers is despicable. I did what I could within the confines of our current electoral system (we took a vote recently!) and it led to jack shit. The system has been hijacked into a two-party circus, much as yours has.

Our populace as a whole does share responsibility for this. All you can do as an individual is spread awareness in some form or another, hopefully usher in a bit more of an enlightened state for a few more people. Activism, or a call to elected officials only does so much when they are being swayed by interests much more powerful, and profitable, than one's own.

I don't have all the answers. I still wonder how to push on a daily basis, while taking part in this system I loathe. One thing I do know, however, is how to spot the deference of responsibility, apathy, and general cock-headedness.

Must say I find it a bit ironic that a 23 year-old is implying I'm going through a 'youthful phase', but hey, cool beans. Maybe you just matured a bit quicker than me?

I do, however, like the implication that people 'grow out' of this apparent rebellious phase after they live in the 'real world'. The condescension in these posts is palpable...I'll let you in on a little secret. Bosnia, 1992. I was there. Look it up. I've seen the 'real world'. In fact, it impressed itself upon me at one of the earliest possible ages...The fact that people who grew up in the sheltered middle class of the western world are talking about living in the 'real world' to me is about as deliciously ironic as it is laughably depressing.

Well, fair points, and I tried to make my post as non-condescending as possible, but you're right that almost everybody here has some years on me, and with that a wealth of experiences. I don't want to get into a depressing family history-off, but suffice it to say I think my views are partially substantiated by being the child of a first-generation immigrant who escaped a nasty civil war only after being imprisoned by intelligence services in a communist dictatorship. :loco: But you're right that you've probably seen much more of the world than I have.

That being said, if anybody here wants to make a discussion about 'the cultural, political, and economic pressures on policymakers, firms, and countries', then I'm all for it, man! Should we start with Chevron suing the Ecuadorian denizens of the Amazon, after dumping toxic waste into their home for the last 4 decades? I'd love to hear about the pressures they're experiencing. I bet their profit margins took a hit and upper management lost a few yachts in the last fiscal quarter. Tragedy!

I was just making a point about different ways of viewing why and how things occur in the world. Your view seems to be that a lot of events are driven by individual-level human failures, which ascribes a lot of agency to people, whether they're corrupt politicians or neutral bystanders in the face of the world's ills. I'm not sure anybody is particularly responsible for a lot of the problems your posts have described. We all live within the constraints of laws, natural resources, and political systems to varying degrees, and most people tend to make do as best they can. Doesn't mean righteous indignation isn't a meaningful response in a lot of cases, but there are always underlying causes that aren't attributable to bad people or a terrible, malevolent global political structure.

The Chevron case is actually a great example. Chevron operated in Ecuador until the early 90s, at which point it sold its assets to PetroEcuador, the state oil firm. Whether they provided sufficient training to PetroEcuador personnel during the transfer is obviously a key issue, but it has been basically established that the a substantial portion of the pollution that occurred in the region you're talking about occurred right around the transition period, making it difficult to fully attribute blame and establish tort. That's one of the reasons the legal case has gone on so long. There's also the fact that both sides are alleged to have bribed lawyers and judges in the case, as well as the generally recognized notion that Ecuador was completely incapable of operating its own oil company with sufficient safety and anti-pollution standards, either before or after the asset purchase from Chevron.

Chevron did actually pay the country about $50 million in 1993 or 1994 in damages for any alleged pollution, IIRC, and Ecuador is now coming back and demanding more. Chevron is, quite reprehensibly, seeking to draw out the case in the hopes it will go away, and they should be condemned, but the Correa government is certainly not made up entirely of angels looking out for the best interests of the people, which I would argue is pretty clear given Correa's extortion of the international community before reopening drilling activities in the rain forest, not to mention his crackdown on press freedoms. The amount Ecuador is now demanding is about a fifth of Chevron's annual revenue, which is a lot of money. You can understand why they're trying to fight it, but I think it's pretty clear to anyone with decent morals at this juncture that they should stop fighting international arbitration or agree to an out-of-court settlement.

So, all in all, arguably a pretty decent example of what I mean when I talk about structural issues that make it difficult to so easily ascribe blame to human ignorance/cruelty/failure/moral perversion/etc. But I think the difference between those two tendencies is what I'm trying to draw out, though I probably could have done it in a more respectful manner that acknowledges a fair amount of what you're saying about the state of the world is true; I just disagree about the causes.

So, all in all, arguably a pretty decent example of what I mean when I talk about structural issues that make it difficult to so easily ascribe blame to human ignorance/cruelty/failure/moral perversion/etc. But I think the difference between those two tendencies is what I'm trying to draw out, though I probably could have done it in a more respectful manner that acknowledges a fair amount of what you're saying about the state of the world is true; I just disagree about the causes.

You keep talking about structural violence (which is the term for it) as if it is not in the human races capability to change it.

We set up these mechanisms all the time. They are well within our control. Its just at this point in time our policy makers are paid to keep them in place, covertly or otherwise. In America it is "citizens united", a great piece of double speak right there. In Australia in the last few years donation limits have been raised or subverted completely. Representative democracy in the west is very representative of its business partners and no longer very democratic.

Which is why more and more people are starting to think the left versus right argument is more about which hand the puppet master uses.

The majority of everyone's problems globally and domestically are made out of or symptoms of a human construct. The way most governments conduct themselves is not an occurrence of nature. Nor is the economy and system of scarcity a weather pattern. Something we are doing is wrong and it is only getting worse. And voting doesn't work any more.

PS Playing devil advocate for an oil company is just plain fucking suspicious. Want to declare some income?

I was just making a point about different ways of viewing why and how things occur in the world. Your view seems to be that a lot of events are driven by individual-level human failures, which ascribes a lot of agency to people, whether they're corrupt politicians or neutral bystanders in the face of the world's ills. I'm not sure anybody is particularly responsible for a lot of the problems your posts have described. We all live within the constraints of laws, natural resources, and political systems to varying degrees, and most people tend to make do as best they can. Doesn't mean righteous indignation isn't a meaningful response in a lot of cases, but there are always underlying causes that aren't attributable to bad people or a terrible, malevolent global political structure.

Systems are created from the bottom up. Much of what I say will parrot what Paine alluded to, as we have a very similar outlook when it comes to structural violence.

It takes the individual to consent, to abide by and to participate (whether active or passive) in order to construct a system. The same holds true whether we're talking about politics, corporations, bigotry, nationalism etc. There is no such thing as a neutral bystander. Everybody stands for something, when push comes to shove. Those who are apathetic to our state of being are often so due to their own, individual choice. If we can't hold ourselves accountable, then who else? Accountability has flown out of politics like it was nobody's business. Politicians aren't held to their promises, and it turns our entire governing structure into a circus.

Glad we're sticking with the Chevron case. I'm going to take some time to grab some food and get a little work done, but will be back on that one!

and all those poeple have nothing to do with islam, all your governements and medias are giving a false idea of this religion

Intellectual dishonesty at it's best.

When an asshole tries to blow up a passenger train, gets caught, and refuses a lawyer because he's not Quran- based, it's ridiculous to assume he's Muslim? Of course, he must be a Buddhist! Or a scientologist!
Source: http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/via-rail-terror-plot-crown-says-suspect-unlikely-to-find-qu-ran-based-lawyer-1.1506148

Your statement and reality are two very different things. But then again, Religion is the denial of reality.

Edit: Just read Ermz' most eloquent post. Bravo, sir! Well done.

Somehow I feel is a goverment/country allows areas where christian fanatics force their way of life upon others by harassment, destroying property, (death-) threats or plain fysical violence, this goverment/country will have a hard time telling muslims they cannot do the same in certain areas, even though we might not like it. The threat is real though. We need to get all of our shit straight as far as this goes.

So let's get back to the OP's topic with a question: So you are saying that a group of Muslims moves to your area, takes over and then decides you need to follow their laws or rules or whatever? Explain this to me because I'm not following that part. Is that what you mean (since the thread got pretty far away from that, imo)?

I can say that most likely 99% of the Muslims in my country are refugees as are the Vietnamese that started to come in the 90s. Yeah, they didn't just disappear; your wars didn't kill them all some managed to escape to Europe.

We won't give pause until the blood is flowing
I need to watch things die
From a good safe distance
Blood like rain come down
Drum on grave and ground
Part vampire
Part warrior
Carnivore and voyeur
Stare at the transmitter
Sing to the death rattle
We all feed on tragedy
It's like blood to a vampire