Issue #11

Algol

Infidel
Nov 19, 2001
21 N Long, 157 W Lat
Visit site
Well I got your 2001 Awards Issue in the mail yesterday. I'm sure you're expecting some feedback, since you broke all the 'rules' of Metal journalism and gave Best Album to a band nobody's heard of (including me). There certainly were some heavyweight's you had listed as contenders for Best Album! I bet the Hammers are having the little stickers made up right now "Voted Best Album for 2001 by Lamentations of the Flame Princess!" to put on the CD's. (no sarcasm intended) I give you credit for having balls, and I give you credit for making me want to go find "The Bastard" right away!

I totally agree with you're pick for best song, Lilitu is a real up-and-commer and deserves more recognition. American metal bands take notice! Lilitu is raising the standard for quality American Metal, and if you don't want to get pasted to the cement, get the fuck out of the way!

I don't really care about cover songs, so I'll skip it. And I don't think people who are not musicians should judge people who are musicians, so I'll skip the Best Guitar, Best Drummer etc. Leave that out next year.

Right on target with the Best Label picks. The End Records has made me so happy. So very happy. Thier roster is like an all-star Hockey team, players from all over the US and Europe all with a different style of play! Dark Symphonies is also an outstanding label, an Avante-Metal fan's dream.

I'll skip ahead to Best Album of 2000 that we didn't hear till '01. Ah yes, Vintersorg. My favorite band. I have been absolutely astounded by this band! I think Vintersorg is one of the most refreshing bands in today's metal scene, and when Visions From the Spiral Generator comes out this spring, we'll all be talking about them. Mark my words.

In the Disappointment catagory, I haven't heard the Evergrey disc, and I'm not a fan of the band anyway. But I did/do like Endtyme by Cathedral. The only other Cathedral CD I own is Caravan Beyond Redemption so we must be looking at it from different angles.

All in all I really liked Issue#11. As you stated in your introduction, there were 3 or 4 times as many albums released as to those that got reviewed, and who knows what might go unnoticed. But I assume your goal with the Awards Issue is to get some well deserved recognition to some bands that will not, otherwise, get much coverage at all in the major metal mags. Goal achieved! Hopefully Issue#11 will get into many hands, and get some records sold for these bands, I know I'm ready to go shopping!

Nice job Jim,
Corey Cromer

Originally posted by Algol
Well I got your 2001 Awards Issue in the mail yesterday

I about had a heart attack about you just now getting it until I doublechecked to see where you lived, haha...

I'm sure you're expecting some feedback, since you broke all the 'rules' of Metal journalism and gave Best Album to a band nobody's heard of (including me).

Credit Russ Smith of Black Tears distribution in Europe for turning me on to them. The Bastard also made Terrorizer's Top 40 of the year, so hopefully they won't stay unknown...

I give you credit for having balls, and I give you credit for making me want to go find "The Bastard" right away!

www.lasercd.com has it for $12 I do believe, plus whatever their shipping costs are...

And I don't think people who are not musicians should judge people who are musicians, so I'll skip the Best Guitar, Best Drummer etc. Leave that out next year.

On one hand I see your point, but on the other hand I think the only place where I'm off-base might be the drumming category because I don't pay so much attention to that always. Play the albums that I made my top choices from to anyone well versed in that particular instrument and I guarantee you the performances will all be highly spoken of. But I'd at least hope after all this time listening to metal I can spot a great guitar performance. :)

In the Disappointment catagory, I haven't heard the Evergrey disc, and I'm not a fan of the band anyway. But I did/do like Endtyme by Cathedral. The only other Cathedral CD I own is Caravan Beyond Redemption so we must be looking at it from different angles.

Yeah, I've been into them since 92 when the Soul Sacrifice EP came out . :)

But I assume your goal with the Awards Issue is to get some well deserved recognition to some bands that will not, otherwise, get much coverage at all in the major metal mags. Goal achieved! Hopefully Issue#11 will get into many hands, and get some records sold for these bands, I know I'm ready to go shopping!

Glad you liked it. :)