Issue finally sent to the printers... and news on other LotFP activities

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Late as all hell, but any LotFP readers have come to expect that. But OUT OF HERE finally. heehee!

You might be pleased to know that the wrestling section that was going to be in there, was removed.

The reason? Well I've been spending more and more time on other interests... there's the RPG which has been WAY slower in development than I'd planned, but that's fine, nobody's paid for that yet so who cares (I did buy the artwork to be used already, and it is swwweeettt), it'll happen in 2004 for sure and hopefully turn into an income generator.

The other thing happening is that LotFP is starting the Independent Wrestling Review, to be published 15-20 times a year in the format of the old LotFP Weeklies... I spend so much time and money buying obscure wrestling tapes and going back and forth on wrestling message boards that I decided it was time to actually make something productive out of it.

http://www.mindspring.com/~lotfp4/ for details on that.

Should just be a few weeks (probably a delay because of Thanksgiving...) before the new issue mails to all subscribers in its doublesized goodness!

wwwheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I wish someone would tell Jim that wrestling is fake, so he could concentrate more on LotFP. :)

Actually, I like wrestling too....... but not to THAT extent. ....and now that I'm married, I'm kinda not allowed to watch it, since we only have one TV. :(

jageorge72 said:
I wish someone would tell Jim that wrestling is fake, so he could concentrate more on LotFP. :)

Actually, I like wrestling too....... but not to THAT extent. ....and now that I'm married, I'm kinda not allowed to watch it, since we only have one TV. :(

I don't watch what's available on TV myself... WWE blows. :)

As far as concentrating on LotFP, with this issue done, no more interviews in the can, and independent record releasing effectively dead until the new year, I've got some time just twiddling my thumbs if I didn't have anything else to work on. :)

Lee_B said:
Where the fuck do you find the time (and effort) for all this stuff?

Reviewing wrestling is also easier than reviewing music. Wrestling isn't about subtlety in most cases, and even when subtle means are used, they all point to a ending that spells everything out. The best music is pretty mindbending and does not easily lend itself to description.

Reviewing wrestling can pretty much be done in real-time, which music can't be. If there's a point to be made on a wrestling match that takes awhile to type, just pause the tape. I suppose the drill should be 'watch it once for fun, then do the writeup on the next viewing'... considering I watch most wrestling tapes multiple times anyway, this really shouldn't take more time than I'm already spending on wrestling.

But reviewing a monumental 45 minute album can take many, many listens and a lot of headscratching as to how to put the words, and for all that time, what have you got? Half a page done for it? I don't really go in for those 'OK, this is what it is, short description, NEXT!' that BWBK or Terrorizer go for... while those are sufficient for strict-genre albums, anything deeper has a lot of points missed with those... which is why you see a lot more interviews though... much easier to do, unless it's with someone like Kayo Dot where I don't know where they're coming from in the first place and I'm just scratching around trying to find the question that makes them start talking about everything themselves. :)

Lee_B said:
Excuse my ignorance but is the wrestling you watch the proper grappling stuff like you get at the Olympics, or something a bit more theatrical?

I don't like the 'real' matches for some reason. Definitely worked pro wrestling, but I like the serious side of it...

Wouldn't you have experience with pro wrestling being huge in England in the 80s when the Crabtrees ran things? Even if you didn't watch it, as I understand it, it was a huge deal like Hulk Hogan and the Rock being well known here even among non-fans...

The main stars like Big Daddy were crap, but from what I understand Akira Maeda, Satoru Sayama (under the names Quik Kik and Sammy Lee, I believe), and David Fit Finlay were pretty big stars, and damn I love them. :)

We should take this conversation to the sub board. ;)

jageorge72 said:
Fit Finlay???? I remember him, I think. Wasn't he in the WWF for a bit?

He was in WCW from 1995 on... way past his prime but still one of the most technically sound wrestlers on their roster (which is a trademark of in-shape wrestlers that come up through the British system)... his most famous matches there were again Steven Regal (another one who came up in the British system), just hard hitting and brutal as hell... (Regal's cheekbone got broken in this one match I have and his face just turns into this mushy bloody mess but they don't stop the match... it's hilarious... Finlay gets this 'oops' look on his face for a fraction of a second before pounding back in on another part of Regal). I was at Center Stage when he debuted on WCW Saturday Night, jumping out of the crowd in street clothes to attack Regal... had steel toed boots on and was kicking the shit out of Regal to the point that Regal's back was all welted and bloody when they were done... good stuff. :) He also had a really cool match with Brad Armstrong on WCWSN that was just on the mat wrestling, nobody cared about it, it was a timefiller match, but it was just so cool seeing how crisp they were on the mat working with each other. Would have been superstars before the 80s in this country for sure... born too late!

He was funny looking by that point, had this salt and pepper mullet, this green singlet with a shamrock on it (he's Irish), and this bad ass leather jacket with steel shoulder plates on it, with a tough looking but by no means sculpted physique...

Nowadays he works behind the scenes for WWE training and putting together the matches of the women wrestlers on Raw.