Issue when recording ENGL Powerball

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I can always get a great sound out of my 5150 Mk1 but it's been a few times I've been trying to record the ENGL Powerball of my band's guitarist (I am the drummer).
I use a Bogner Uberkab for that purpose and love it.
Each time I try to record the Powerball it sounds fizzy and thin, the distorsion of that amp sounds good to my ears bu t I can't capture it well forthe moment.
Do you have some settings "to start" in mind for that amp ? I'm really curious about that.

I wanted to ask the same! :) I've used the powerball live and i could get crushing tones but when recorded (miced or direct) it seems fizzy and thin.
I tried with guitar hack and poidaobi impulses through boogex (and curve eq) but i can't find decent sounds.. anyone with tips or settings for the head?

I first thought that it just couldn't sound good with a 57 (this mic enhances a bit the 5 khz and 10 khz areas and can sound very fizzy if the amp is not set correctly) nor any dynamic mic, but I think it's just that I can't dial a good sound because I don't know the amp very well. The secret seems to lie in the amount of gain and presence/highs balance.
I should try a Royer or C414 in front of it.

Any help/clips appreciated !