It all boils down to JCM900 SL-X vs. 5150 I/6505

That's got a nice growl to it. :kickass: I miss having a Marshall around. (And I love the Slaughter Of The Soul bit in the first clip. I used to soundcheck with those riffs all the time at gigs...)

Nah, it's the JCM900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb (models 4100, 4101, 4102 and 4500, 4502) that has diode clipping. SL-X (models 2500 and 2100) is the full tube one.

This is correct. The SLX is one channel of tubey goodness, and pretty well regarded. It's the Dual Reverbs that most people dislike.

I don't think it's even the diode gain stage that's the issue with the Dual Reverbs- the JCM 800 2205 and 2210 have clipping diodes, and nobody seems to take issue with those, and the Silver Jubilee has them as well, and a lot of people rank it among Marshall's best sounding amps, and everyone and their mother on here throws a Tubescreamer in front of everything- it's that the Dual Reverbs sound thin (especially compared to the single channel 800s), brittle, and overly bright.

Wow! That sounds pretty fucking rad for a jcm900!! I've only heard that dual reverb bullshit amps that are fucking ear pearcing and overbright :S. That was great! I got myself a jcm800 2204 from 1986 ;) sounds pretty similar to your 900. maybe not that "gnarly".

Oh
and at second glance watch the levels on your effects loop or you will destroy the solid state loop really quickly. The transistor right there at the loop is probably a BC184 which off the top of my head is the equivalent to a 2N2222A I think.
But those parts are really common so are all those op amps, same ones used in MCI mixing boards for example.
Personally I wouldn't go near an amp like that, from experience they turn into a headache.

Maybe the fool who follows the fool who follows the necrobumber or maybe not... I have no idea.

Did you read my post or was it TL;TR?

Reactions: newamerikangospel