It's a Maiden Birthday in New Jersey - Help a metal sister out, please!

BlackRoseMetalHeart

Metal Mistress
Feb 4, 2006
Baltimore, MD - USA
www.myspace.com
Ok, I have a favor to ask.

This weekend is Nick's ... err, DemonOfTheWoods' birthday and so I bought tickets for us to go see his favorite band - Iron Maiden - in NJ, 'cause that's about as close as they were getting to Baltimore. We plan on driving up with some of our other PP friends on Saturday and I'm trying to leave early afternoon to make sure that there is no chance of us getting stuck in traffic.

Having never been to Camden, NJ or the Tweeter Center for that matter, my question/favor is this:
Can anyone give me some suggestions of some places that we can go grab a bite to eat, get drunk, hang out, site-see, etc. that are within reasonable distance of the venue? Ticket-bastard gave some suggestions, but they are all over 9 miles away. I was sortta hoping to park somewhere and then be able to walk around. Is the venue even in a safe area to do that? I'm assuming it would be, but like I said, I've never been.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this one. :headbang:

Here's the best advice you can get...don't walk around Camden, really really bad neighborhood...

BlackRoseMetalHeart said:
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this one.
Picture the scariest place you've ever been. Now imagine it 10x worse. Got it? You're not even close to how bad Camden is.

One of my closest friends is an undercover federal agent. When I asked him about Camden he replied, "I don't even drive through Camden, and I'm armed."

Your best bet is eat prior to getting to Camden or tailgate in the lot. There will be a ton of cops out, but don't stray from the path to and from the venue.

Zod

I have the perfect solution for you, serisouly. Park on the Philadelphia side of the river fronting the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ. Park at Penn's Landing in one of the pay lots. You can enjoy the entire day in a beautiful waterfront setting that's usually bustling with activity on a Saturday afternoon. You can walk along the waterfront and there should be plenty of food stands and whatnot to grab a bite. At the end of the day, take the ferry from Penn's Landing over to the Tweeter Center. It drops you off right there and you can simply follow the crowd of people over to the Tweeter Center. Buy a roundtrip ferry ticket and at the end of the night simply get back on the dock from which you were dropped off. A very safe, fun day and you won't even come close to being exposed to Camden.

If you enjoy plenty of walking and have the time, you can also head from Penn's Landing over to the South Street area, or even taxi over if you want. Another cool place to spend the afternoon.

Trust me, this is your best bet. Hope this helps. :kickass:

EDIT - Here's a few links to help you out:

http://www.phillyvisitor.com/pennslanding.php

http://www.pennslandingcorp.com/default.aspx

http://riverlinkferry.org/index.html

(Even though the ferry season ended on October 1st, I believe it will run during major Tweeter Center concerts, I think there's a phone number on the ferry link you can call just to be safe).

nailz said:
Wow, thats a really good idea, as long as they run the ferry after the show.

Thanks. Yeah, as long as the ferry is operative, they always run it after the shows let out - the venue is actually the main reason the ferry exists.

nailz said:
What a shitty place to have a concert.

Agreed - the venue (which is really nice) is on the fringes of the area, which is a plus, but yeah, the city itself is in deplorable condition.

Jason

General Zod said:
If you follow Dar One's advice, you'll be fine.

And yes, I'm heading down with a group of 8.

Zod

Thank you, guys! That makes me feel much better about this trip. Now I can feel free to look forward to this show and not be worried about getting mugged or shot or something crazy.
Thanks for the links, Dark One. Those will really come in handy.
Hope to see you there General!
Up the Irons! :headbang:

I actually worked at the Tweeter Center in Camden for more than a few years. And Dark One has the best suggestion.

Go to Philly and take the ferry over. There's a secured parking lot on the Philly side for you to park your car. The ferry schedule runs in accordance with the shows at The Tweeter Center. The last one usually leaves an hour or so after the the show is over. But check to be sure.

Camden is defintley not a city you want to explore. But they keep the waterfront (where the Tweeter Center and the NJ Aquariam) are pretty well secured....especially during a show. So you'll be fine. Plus, there are tons of cool restaurants and bars in the Penn's Landing area of Philly.

For the most part in that area, you'll find things from Market Street up to South Street and between Front Street up to about 6th or so. That gives you a good 'square' to stay in. I can give you a list of actual places to go if you want to send me a message.

Otherwise, have a great time at the show!

I will most definatly be at the show! the suggestions Ticket Bastard gave you may be a good idea. just outside camden got some great hangouts and such. but also get there early, usually great hangout in the parking lot before the show! great time.

ill be there, section 102 row p. cannot wait, 2 more days eh?

Short story.

First job after college was out in New Jersey (umm on the Jim McGreevey campaign >_>). So I'm driving out there from Chicago, and its quite late. I need a place to stay, but they want me to find something reasonable priced. Having a hell of a time, due to the way the turnpikes work, and lack of signs. So I end up getting into Jersey, and immediately after crossing the bridge the signs confuse the hell out of me. My intention was to go near Cherry... (damn.. forgot the full name), and I end up driving into Camden. I was lost. Great. I'm driving various roads in there, trying to figure out where the heck to go. At this point I knew nothing about Camden. Other than that people were looking at me a little strangely. I end up going to a gas station. I get out of my car and go into it, and there is 'glass' seperating the cashiers from everybody else. There is also a cop with the cashiers. I was thinking 'okay that it is weird.. and not good.' The cop noticing a white kid.. immediately sees what I need, tells me how to get the hell out of there, and I thank him and leave.

Either way I then find out later on that that place is one of the worst cities in the US, and due to gross mismanagement is under control of the federal government or something?

So yeah. Stay away from the most areas in there that you can.

General Zod said:
Picture the scariest place you've ever been. Now imagine it 10x worse. Got it? You're not even close to how bad Camden is.

One of my closest friends is an undercover federal agent. When I asked him about Camden he replied, "I don't even drive through Camden, and I'm armed."

Your best bet is eat prior to getting to Camden or tailgate in the lot. There will be a ton of cops out, but don't stray from the path to and from the venue.

Zod

Reading all this got me curious so I looked it up. Camden was recently named the worst crime city in the US. Here is the breakdown, Honerable mention for Atlanta too :erk: Not trying to scare you. :ill: Follow some of the great suggestions that were given and you should have a great time.

1. Camden, NJ
2. Detroit, MI
3. Atlanta, GA
4. St. Louis, MO
5. Gary, IN