It's a Maiden Birthday in New Jersey - Help a metal sister out, please!

The U.S.S. New Jersey Battleship is docked right there by the Tweeter. I went to see Priest there oin the last tour and while visiting the battleshiop before the show we could actually hear the soundcheck

Plus they serve beer on the ship, though it might be cold out there at this time of year

Perpet said:
Here is the breakdown, Honerable mention for Atlanta too :erk: Not trying to scare you. :ill:

Curious since as a foreigner I found Atlanta beautifully peaceful, of course the neighborhood around the Residence Inn can't be taken as a whole for a big city.

General Zod said:
If you follow Dar One's advice, you'll be fine.

And yes, I'm heading down with a group of 8.

Zod

I know Zod and I won't like to found him on a dark alley, so if HE goes in a 8-pack...gulp Camden must be something serious..

Now I wonder why Maiden will play there in the first place?

BlackRoseMetalHeart said:
Ok, I have a favor to ask.

This weekend is Nick's ... err, DemonOfTheWoods' birthday and so I bought tickets for us to go see his favorite band - Iron Maiden - in NJ, 'cause that's about as close as they were getting to Baltimore. We plan on driving up with some of our other PP friends on Saturday and I'm trying to leave early afternoon to make sure that there is no chance of us getting stuck in traffic.

Having never been to Camden, NJ or the Tweeter Center for that matter, my question/favor is this:
Can anyone give me some suggestions of some places that we can go grab a bite to eat, get drunk, hang out, site-see, etc. that are within reasonable distance of the venue? Ticket-bastard gave some suggestions, but they are all over 9 miles away. I was sortta hoping to park somewhere and then be able to walk around. Is the venue even in a safe area to do that? I'm assuming it would be, but like I said, I've never been.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this one. :headbang:

No offense to you, but how do you travel to a show out of state without looking up necessary things like safety level? I'm suprised that people still DON'T know how bad Camden has it...

"I'm going out of the country next summer. It's called Iraq, let me know what I can do as far as getting drunk goes. Is the area safe? I'm assuming it would be.. \m/"

Wyvern said:
Curious since as a foreigner I found Atlanta beautifully peaceful, of course the neighborhood around the Residence Inn can't be taken as a whole for a big city.

Nah, the area around the RI is fairly safe, especially around Prog time when there's a lot of people walking to and from the venue. Still a case where it'd be a bright idea to always walk in groups. Atlanta sprawls, so the areas that are bad aren't necessarily in Midtown. Buckhead and Downtown areas have been kind enough to provide us with mutliple opportunities to up our crime rate. There are parts of Midtown that are bad, but they tend to be more around the "club" areas.

MEFlyingV said:
The U.S.S. New Jersey Battleship is docked right there by the Tweeter.

No kiddin'! I'd like to see her some day.

But, with all the crime in Camden, I'd probably ask for covering fire from her gun batteries to cover me on approach! :lol:

Hmm, Winamp just pulled up Magellan's "Waterfront Weirdos" in shuffle mode while I was replying to this thread. Freeeaky. "A beggar asks for money / It's a dollar you don't want to payy.." :heh:

I did my research and to be honest, was kinda scared of going to Camden, btw, we kinda got lost and ended up in the downtown area, suffice to say we were a little scared, but thankfully there were a LOT of cops around so we just got over it and headed back the right way. had no problems that i can think of. All was good.

The trip was awesome! Thanks to all of you who offered useful advice and suggestions, particularly Zod, Dark One and Synflower, who even gave me her cell phone number and directed us on how to get to ther Tweeter Center once we found out the fairy was not running.
3DimensionalAperture said:
No offense to you, but how do you travel to a show out of state without looking up necessary things like safety level? I'm suprised that people still DON'T know how bad Camden has it...

"I'm going out of the country next summer. It's called Iraq, let me know what I can do as far as getting drunk goes. Is the area safe? I'm assuming it would be.. \m/"
Normally, I do look up things about the area of shows I'm going to before heading out there, that's why I asked for advice here on the forum. However, Nick's birthday was this Sunday, and although I could have selected any of the shows on this tour to take him to see Maiden, I was limited in my choice by several factors including what shows were closest to where we live (Baltimore), what shows were on weekends since we needed to travel for the show, and also what show was closest to his birthday.

The Camden show fit all the criteria. I also figured that it would be in a tour manager's best interst to not book a show at a venue that is in the middle of a war zone. (I realize you were exagreatting, but while the dangers in Iraq are emphasized on the news everyday - at least where I live - the dangers in Camden, NJ are not.) Parhaps the safety of the bands and fans are just things that Maiden's tour manager doesn't care about. Considering the tour manager (or somebody) for Maiden's tour put Bullet for My Valentine on the bill with them, a lack of care for details (like who fits with the headliner or where it's safe to play) wouldn't surprise me. Then again, that small section of Camden (where the Tweeter Center and aquarium are located) didn't seem too dangerous considering the only people I really saw there were people for the show, cops and a huge group of families and other folks marching for lukiemia (sp?).

Either way, our trip was safe and fun and Nick had a great birthday. Thanks again to all who helped me make that possible. :headbang: