It's a small world after all

darthrya

Maiden fan since I was 9
Jul 31, 2004
Washington, USA
maidenshows.ryasrealm.com
I've been at military training for the past 4 months now, and I about to finish in 20 days. I just found out one of my classmates is a huge Maiden fan. He heard me playing "Wicker Man" on my laptop and couldn't believe there was another metal head, especially a Maiden fan, in the same school as him.

It's wierd: I don't come across many Maiden fans in the Army, when I do, it seems we always come together and start swapping stories and sharing music of our favorite bands that the other person isn't quite familiar with. The metal community can be pretty cool at times. I don't see the same kind of music camaraderie with other genres. I've never seen two guys go, "You like Fiddy-cent? Me too!" or "I didn't know you're into George Strait" and then talk in depth about him and country music in general. It seems to be pretty much a metal thing. :headbang:

Archmagician: I'm in Georgia right now, actually. My unit won't pay to put in airborne school, but it's no big deal. My unit has no airborne needs, and I'm fine with being a leg. In fact, I am hoping I can convince my unit to send me to pathfinder school.

Here's one of my favorite airborne cadences:
C-130, rolling down the strip
I'm not airborne so I don't give a flip :lol:

Something similar happened to my sister the other day, she found out her sergant is a fellow metal head. They were talking about being a firearms officer and she said that she thought you had to have perfect hearing for that, but he said no cos he's was one and his hearing's shot after too many Motorhead concerts!! That made her day!! :lol:

Something similar happened to my sister the other day, she found out her sergant is a fellow metal head. They were talking about being a firearms officer and she said that she thought you had to have perfect hearing for that, but he said no cos he's was one and his hearing's shot after too many Motorhead concerts!! That made her day!! :lol:
Well, I guess if you are going to lose some hearing, losing it to Lemmy isn't really a bad way to go. :lol:

Archmagician: I'm in Georgia right now, actually. My unit won't pay to put in airborne school, but it's no big deal. My unit has no airborne needs, and I'm fine with being a leg. In fact, I am hoping I can convince my unit to send me to pathfinder school.

Here's one of my favorite airborne cadences:
C-130, rolling down the strip
I'm not airborne so I don't give a flip :lol:

Pathfinder school is an awesome school I never did get the chance to attend it. :erk:

But dude, being Airborne is more than jumping out of planes. It is an attitude and a way of life! It was 22 years ago that I got my Airborne wings, and I am STILL proud of it. Seriously, get on http://www.usparatroopers.org and ask other Paratroopers what it means to be Airborne. You will see that it means much more than just having the skill to jump out of a plane. :kickass:

Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck in your military carreer.

Trust me, I know it's a way of life. The Army is very clique-ish, and airborne soldiers are proud of their own. They have a tight camaraderie. If I ever got around to doing it, I'm not sure if the lifestyle would be my thing. I'd be more into the technical component of the job.

My unit's mission is training the Afghan National Army for ground operations, so airborne is out of the question. I might be able to make a convincing argument for air assault since we do have chopper support out there. Pathfinder is a big plus because navigating that area is a nightmare-even for the ANA troops.

Because of the recent events in Iraq, my unit is now sending persons to Iraq to train their army. We're staging to send some troops out in the next few months. I'm not sure if I'll be one of them, but if I am, it's definitely my kind of assignment. I enjoy training soldiers. Maybe I can spread the excellent music of Iron Maiden to other nations and achieve world peace just like in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." :lol:

If you do get deployed let me know and I can send you some care packages. I've done it enough times now to know what you're going to need! :kickass:

Also, I have a lot of buddies out there (Who like Iron Maiden), so if you're on the same FOB as them I can hook you up.

Goodluck!!!