It's All In The RIFF, Baby!

Wow...there's a bold statement...

Not sure I agree, but yep, indeed...one bold statement...haha!

Rock on!

Hangar 18 and Holy Wars are obviously 2 of Megadeth's best tracks, but I feel without those 2 songs, that album would be very mediocre. Not saying RIP is bad, but for me personally, I'd rather listen to Thirteen, despite the 2-3 pretty crappy tracks (She'll Wreck It! :guh:)

That's official. You need to be committed :devil:

But I'll accept that discussing music with you brightens my day :wave:

i agree. the last 2-3 megadeth albums have enough good tunes to make 1 great album thats still not as good as RIP

One of the things I enjoy about Megadeth's more recent output is their attention to vocal melodies. The earlier albums, while probably more interesting from a guitar perspective, they have little going on in the vocal department. Sneap and Johnny K really did a great job of producing Mustaine as a singer on the last couple of albums.

Tony Iommi kept most of the best ones for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

One of my very favorite Metal Church songs, largely thanks to that main riff alone.

Great calls from MF and HB. Specially the Metal Church song, I always have considered that a great opener for the album and a really powerful song.

This is a short one, but right to the point:

This thread is slowly becoming a place I can come to when I really want to rock out and have my playlist already created for me! Here's one from a band that most metalheads overlook and have no idea at how good these guys were at writing killer riffs back in the 70s... I picked Witch Wolf on a whim, and posted it because it's one of the first heavy songs I heard on the radio when I was about 10 years old and it always stuck with me.

Lots of good stuff in here, but it looks like I'll be the first to rectify the apparant lack of Priest in this here thread. (!)

And then some home-country heroes of mine.

(Specifically the intro/outro riff and the one about 3 minutes in, but there's so many, and they're all great.)

Fixed for you Gert ;) (all you need is the [youtube] tag and the YT code from the share address).
Actually, all you need is the url, no code/tags needed. :devil:

This is a short one, but right to the point:
BÖC - This Ain't the Summer of Love
Good call. But my favorite riff of theirs (off the top of my head) would probably be Godzilla.

One of the things I enjoy about Megadeth's more recent output is their attention to vocal melodies. The earlier albums, while probably more interesting from a guitar perspective, they have little going on in the vocal department. Sneap and Johnny K really did a great job of producing Mustaine as a singer on the last couple of albums.
I disagree. Part of why I liked Mustaine's vocals on earlier efforts is that they never got in the way of the riffs, unlike now. Nowadays it seems like he feels the need to sing about every little detail rather than let the listener think and it's really just highlighting his shortcomings as a vocalist, to me. Actually, I suppose it's more of a lyrical issue, but hey.

Lots of good stuff in here, but it looks like I'll be the first to rectify the apparant lack of Priest in this here thread. (!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG818x0xlWE

Curious you mention this song, yesterday I was discussing with Vicious Robbie because he loves the song and I don't like it very much, always felt is the weak link on SC.

Actually, all you need is the url, no code/tags needed. :devil:

For some reason that method not always work for me, hence I go for the tag path ;)

Good call. But my favorite riff of theirs (off the top of my head) would probably be Godzilla.

Another great one indeed.

Curious you mention this song, yesterday I was discussing with Vicious Robbie because he loves the song and I don't like it very much, always felt is the weak link on SC.
Funny, it's a definite highlight as far as I'm concerned, though I think that putting it at the end of the album was a mistake. Savage is my least favorite on the album personally.

Remember, this is all about GUITAR RIFFS that grab you and won't let you go... so I don't expect to see any Dream Theater here! Tony Iommi, on the other hand, might just dominate this thread...:headbang:

Dream Theater can riff with the best of them!