It's not just Vanden Plas that's been hit by the visa bug:

Interesting article, I hope something gets done about this soon. As I understand it though, this has nothing to do with the reason Vanden Plas were turned away.

Interesting article, I hope something gets done about this soon. As I understand it though, this has nothing to do with the reason Vanden Plas were turned away.
I dunno, did you read the whole article? I think this applies to a lot of bands who tried to get visas in the US, whether working or tourist visas.
The labyrinthine process is not for underfunded newbies: First, presenters or agents must compile background documents and file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), which can take weeks or months to approve unless the $1,000 "premium processing" fee is paid; the fear of delays makes this fee virtually mandatory. Added to that are obligatory consultations with various U.S. artists' and stage crew unions, which can total several hundred dollars or more. Then come the interviews at U.S. consulates -- where performers must demonstrate that they are, in fact, artists of significance.

About $375 for regular paperwork submission.
Add $70 per person for the actual visa "stamp" at the embassy
Double that for any "crew" as that is considered seperate.
Add $1,000 to get the premium processing.
Add $1,500 if you want a professional company to handle it for you (99% guarantee to get you it done on time with good results).

That doesn't even count the time it is required for things such as 40 pages of "international proof" such as copies of printed magazine articles- translated into English if necessary) and proof that you will return home after the tour, etc.

In my situation, I clearly state that the band is responsible for all documentation required by U.S. customs and immigrations. I can offer to assist, but the ball is in their court on how it is handled. I'm the promoter, not the manager. I'm changing that up for the future to ensure that bands use actual work visas (and many have in the past..don't get me wrong) that I sign off on. That additional cost will be reflected in the increase in ticket prices. Thank the goverment, not inflation or greed.

UK is not so bad - around £200 (400USD) for a 'band & crew' application. You have to provide copies of all passports, and a shedload of supporting printed/recorded media as well. First time we did it for Orphaned Land it was about a four week wait - whilst we proved ourselves as a reputable company as well - and second time was about 10 days I think - and they returned all the suporting material we sent them. I guess UK immigration aren't fans of JOP or Kamelot!

The good thing is that we don't need visas for any European bands...

Contact your congressional representatives today! Let's FREELY open our borders to METAL from all over the world and truly make our nation the Land Of Metallic Opportunity!!

Damn. I knew it was a pain, but really had no idea the magnitude of paperwork and annoyance that goes into getting just ONE band over here. Kudos to Glenn for importing more than one band per festival! :worship: And jeers to a government so bogged down in red tape. Ugh.

Kudos to Glenn for importing more than one band per festival!
Madfet would have liked to import more than one band, but since we handled most of it ourselves, we simply didn't have time or endurance to bear it for more than one! Ask John, he took of all this for MindFlow. I think they had a lawyer helping them out too, but John did all the footwork on our side. It stressed me out just hearing him talk about it! :loco: With John taking a year off, I doubt I'll be importing any bands for 2008. He knows how to handle it, I have no idea. We shall see. o_O

Well its less paperwork when they come here as you and I would go to Germany. As tourists. Just make sure nobody in Germany 'assisted' you in getting over here due to your guitar playing skills. =p

Glenn, I never realized the costs. I hope all bands get it through. All the more reason to get them confirmed early eh?

I hope over time its easier too due to repeat documentation.

In my situation, I clearly state that the band is responsible for all documentation required by U.S. customs and immigrations. I can offer to assist, but the ball is in their court on how it is handled. I'm the promoter, not the manager. I'm changing that up for the future to ensure that bands use actual work visas (and many have in the past..don't get me wrong) that I sign off on. That additional cost will be reflected in the increase in ticket prices.

An additional pain in the ass?...sure.

I will gladly sound out as one of the fans that will bear that expense after seeing what Shane (and you) went through with VP...

Nothing wrong with keeping costs down for everyone...but I can't imagine the masses bitching about increased costs for PPUSA...I think the "bang-for-the-buck" factor is already pretty high...

Anyone disagree?

Rock on!

Great information everyone. I for one think the ticket prices are a bargain given the # of bands and all the expenses the bands incur to get here.

Glenn,

Will this mean that PPUSA will have more acts from Intromental? Since you are the booking manager for the USA portion, would it be easier for you to jsut bring over 3-4 IntroMental acts where you can actually control the paperwork?

Glenn,

Will this mean that PPUSA will have more acts from Intromental? Since you are the booking manager for the USA portion, would it be easier for you to jsut bring over 3-4 IntroMental acts where you can actually control the paperwork?

I think I can answer this;

First off, the paperwork still has to be done, so it's really not that much easier.

Second of all, Glenn does NOT want to make this an "Intromental-festival", just like I don't intend to have more than 2 or 3 Intromental bands on ProgPower Scandinavia. There's a lot of great bands out there that aren't connected with us, they also need a fair shot at getting on the PP-festivals.

c.