Its time to say the truth...about the natural disaster

Mariner said:
nina (forum member sometimes) wrote a review for a belgian magazine, she said she likes it. and she gives it 6/7. she just regrets that balance sounds as radiohead cause she detests radiohead (cause her dad likes it) haha :)
yeah the beginning sounds like radiotronche but not the final with the heavy guitar and that...
sounds like radiohead, but better than radiohead (I don't hate radiohead and I like some stuffs of them, but I don't understand the big deal made about it)

Harmonium starts off with vincents vocals/classic Anathema guitar feedback/keyboards/programmed drum beats then half way heavier bit kicks in... slow but rocks.

Balance starts off with mid-pace drum beat/electr. organ/vincent singing.. then a bit like start of Release without guitar... then kicks into a mid-pace heavy riff very similar to Harmonium.

Closer and Are You There you know already so skip those..

Childhood Dream is a nice short acoustic instrumental with keyboards and a child's voice in the background... then a bit of reversed acoustic gt. and finally piano.

the absolute highlight of the album...Pulled Under at 2000 metres a second. it reminds me a lot of A Dying Wish... but also similar to Judgement and Panic. fast rocking song.. the most heavy metal song they've done in ages. will be amazing live!!!

the only thing i can say about the title track a natural disaster is a non-trip hop "Portishead" if you like Portishead you will love this. Lee with her brilliant lead vocals and danny on backing vocals later.. simply beautiful song.

Flying... slow and beautiful song, especially when the acoustic guitars and the electric guitar melody kick in it gets better. i could make a bit of thom yorke comparison in the vocals for a minute before the chorus but thats all. great singing from vincent and the acoustic parts with the electric gt melody are absolutely brilliant.

hard to describe Electricity.. starts off with piano acoustic guitar and danny singing, no chorus instead when the drums kick in there's a melody playing in a kind of similar style to Flying.

the last one Violence starts off with piano then drums come in and the song builds up like Ascension off Eternity and gets quite fast and rocky like that song. then it fades away half way through and the rest is piano and keyboards (Dreaming:The Romance meets Sentient)

I give the album a 9/10. no fillers but still can't give it a 10/10. so here's what my ratings for Anathema albums look like:

Crestfallen 7/10

Serenades 7/10

Pentecost III 10/10 (the best Doom album ever)

The Silent Enigma 8/10

Eternity 7/10

Alternative4 9/10

Judgement 8/10

A Fine Day to Exit 9/10

A Natural Disaster 9/10

Cenk said:
A Natural Disaster 9/10

as I dont have the album, even until some months :erk: here I go: :Spin:

Crestfallen 9/10
Serenades 9/10
Pentecost III 9.5/10
The Silent Enigma 10/10
Eternity 10/10
Alternative4 10/10
Judgement 9.5/10
A Fine Day to Exit 8.5/10
Resonance 1 8.5/10
A Natural Disaster -/10 :ill: :yell:

by the way what is apc?, dredg - el cielo??

:wave:

I thought I heard some Morricone on the guitars in Childhood Dream and some hints of Badalamenti in the piano part of Violence. Or is it just me? Well, 4 out of 4 who've I've listened Violence with, have started to whistle the theme of Twin Peaks afterwards :D and me and my gf had to start watching the series on dvd after we listened to AND for the first time :)

brilliant stuff.

marginalé said:
10/10

fuck man, never heard another album like this for a very long time (i even don't remember)

and the winner for album of the year 2003 is

*roffel, roffel, roffel*

ANATHEMA, A NATURAL DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hm, its the best album I bought in like YEARS... so for me its not just the winner for 2003 !!!!!!

John Carvajal said:
as I dont have the album, even until some months :erk: here I go: :Spin:

Crestfallen 9/10
Serenades 9/10
Pentecost III 9.5/10
The Silent Enigma 10/10
Eternity 10/10
Alternative4 10/10
Judgement 9.5/10
A Fine Day to Exit 8.5/10
Resonance 1 8.5/10
A Natural Disaster -/10 :ill: :yell:

by the way what is apc?, dredg - el cielo??

:wave:
apc is a perfect circle, and dredg is an another excellent band. though apc is way better

I'll check Dredg ASAP!!!

BTW, this new album is the best thing I've heard from the band, capting the "desperate" feeling of the old ones, and the beauty of the new stuff!!! I'll not name a song before listening to it AT LEAST 50 times... Though I like "Closer", "Harmonium" and "pulled under...." the most at the moment... :D

A natural disaster is great. It must be my third favorite anathema album, right after A4 and judgement. By the way, i think it's time the oficcial site to get a real update for the new album. I just entered now and the counter has been reseted and says "365 days until a natural disaster is released"...

Elmarad said:
A natural disaster is great. It must be my third favorite anathema album, right after A4 and judgement. By the way, i think it's time the oficcial site to get a real update for the new album. I just entered now and the counter has been reseted and says "365 days until a natural disaster is released"...
I think they should make Sopel's polish website the official one.. it's so much better!

How can everyone like 200m/sec? FFS, doesn't it bother you *at all* that it's identical to Floyd's "Sheep"? Ok, it's a nice song, but if I took the verses or the refrains of "The Show Must Go On" the outcome would be good as well - would you call this a success?

Feanor IV said:
How can everyone like 200m/sec? FFS, doesn't it bother you *at all* that it's identical to Floyd's "Sheep"? Ok, it's a nice song, but if I took the verses or the refrains of "The Show Must Go On" the outcome would be good as well - would you call this a success?
yeah but it's like "Sheep" meets "A Dying Wish".

"A Dying Sheep" if you like.. :)

Feanor IV said:
for example the beginning of Stairway To Heaven is ripped off from a track called "Taurus" by Spirit. but Stairway To Heaven remains a fuckin great song...
there is no problem for me.
Pulled Under and Sheep are not the same song, there is just the vocal harmony which is alike.

Don Corleone said:
apc is a perfect circle, and dredg is an another excellent band. though apc is way better
i feel i have to say that dredg is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. theyre both a bit in the same league. so: 'a perfect circle' fans check dredg and convince yerself that its better. theres not a single song that is annoying me on that album so called 'el cielo' its still fresh for me but so far i like every single bit!!!!

this is my first anathema album. i was just listening to it in the train, and i felt like crying. the music is just..wonderful. im amazed.
thank you.