I've been invited to play on a band

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Yeah, after 4 years being rejected eheh I've been invited to play on a band. It is a Foo Fighter-ish band, a couple of guys are clients of mine, the bassist has like 35 basses (seriously), the singer/guitarist is a guy I am building a dumble clone for, and there's still no drummer.

Well, they're cool guys, I've heard on of the songs and it is OK, but I am still not sure if I should accept. I was really thinking of quitting playing guitar as I am feeling really unexcited about it and some other aspects of my life. Besides, I am fucking broke and they're all rich guys, and I've been on bands were I was the 'rich' guy and it didnt work out nicely.

Anyway...how would you deal with being an AE and recording the band you're in ? Do you charge for recordings? Any tips?

Only do it if you are really feeling the music.
Have been in a band or two where I dident really have a passion for the music we played, it was more like "meh, but its fun to play anything".. well got bored a few weeks after and quit.

About charging for recording.. Um, seems kinda weird to charge for recording your own band haha.

In my experience, when recording your own band, they tend to take liberties. Which is annoying as hell.

Maybe you could have a few practices/play a couple of gigs with them on a trial basis and see if you want it or not :)

Playing in a band is only worth all the effort under three circumstances:

1. You love the music you are playing.
2. The band is your way to pick up on girls.
3. Both number 1 and 2.

hahaah you guys are making having second, third, fourth, n-th thoughts about it heehhe

Yeah lol this thread is pretty pessimistic. I joined a band/project - just as a live guitarist though - that I'm also recording and the comments about "if you're not totally into it, don't do it" made we wonder as well.. I think the music is very cool, I like the people and we will likely have cool and paid gigs in Europe, but I am not sure if I've got the time and the will to really do it. Damn.

Btw, I charge the normal price and gave him a 20% discount. If you're a full member that might be strange, but at least 50% is important because a) you have to cover for the lost time and b) it will be hell if you don't charge because they will take years to track (as I stated in my earlier post) - in my experience. LeSedna is probably right though, if you're Hitler it won't be a problem. Most of us aren't, sadly :lol: :eek: