I've been offered stolen crap

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So guys,

This morning I went to my mother's house to get some stuff I had in there, a delay pedal and my D.I. I was just getting into my car and some guy I know from 15 years ago (i played soccer on the streets with him when I was like 8yo) screamed "Hey Ivan!!!" and came talking to me. I have not talked to him for the last 15 years or so, but I knew that he got into gang stuff, drugs, guns and stuff like that. Whatever. Like I said, he came talking to me and after a bunch of small talk, he said 'Hey Ivan, if you need any kind of notebook, cellphone, I can get you ANYTHING for cheap, half the price or less'. I was like :Smug: and he continued 'I can get those 4gb top of the line Sony Vaios for $300, a guy I know is supplying me with this'. I said OK, took his cellphone and left.

Obviously, this is stolen crap, as cellphones and notebooks are real easy to steal and are very easy to sell on the black market. What really came to my mind is that maybe, just maybe, he's the one that got my MBP (along with 2 cell phones, 2 22 inch lcd monitors, a couple dvd players and more stuff I cant remember - very easily sellable stuff) at the beginning of the year, when my house was robbed. He lives like 3 min from my house and, while maybe he didn't do it personally, the guys who did this knew him. And if he got his hands on my MBP, he knew it was mine as it had a good amount of personal pics. Also, would he recognize me after 15 years without seeing me ? I didn't age that much, but whatever..Just thinking.

Ivan

hmm that is a shady situation. Careful.

A few months back, our band was offered a bunch of stuff from some dude, for really cheap. We took it, then after the fact found out that it was most likely stolen. Kinda bums me out knowing this, and while we werent the ones who stole it, and maybe the dude that sold it wasnt either, it's still not right.

hmm that is a shady situation. Careful.

A few months back, our band was offered a bunch of stuff from some dude, for really cheap. We took it, then after the fact found out that it was most likely stolen. Kinda bums me out knowing this, and while we werent the ones who stole it, and maybe the dude that sold it wasnt either, it's still not right.

you also run the risk of running into the band that got fucked. they are unlikely to be pleased, and even less likely to be understanding :ill:

you also run the risk of running into the band that got fucked. they are unlikely to be pleased, and even less likely to be understanding :ill:

Yes, this is my main concern. If the stuff was actually stolen, and someone stumbles across us with their crap, we gladly explain what happened and return it with no questions asked. I think it may have actually been stolen from a store, as most of it seems brand new or slightly used. OR, it may not have been stolen at all. We just assume it may be stolen since it was soooo damn cheap. Or, the dude just had it laying around and didnt need it and wanted a quick buck. *shrug* Guess I'll never know for sure.

A similar thing happened when I was working at a music shop!

The retards showed up outside our shop in a blacked out BMW and this guy comes in and says he has loads of gear to sell. He didn't have a single clue what any of it was. Of course we instantly twigged on right away that it was all probably stolen.

My quick thinking boss said he was interested, but the "boss" who does the buying is out and for the guys to come back an hour later.

One phone call to the police, and the idiots came back an hour later. They got arrested but I don't know the outcome.

I was actually in fear of retribution, so I played no part in the rouse since I knew they probably live locally and probably wouldn't even go to jail for it.

I'm either a pussy or smart! lol.