ive been thinking about a plug in....

ZPDRUMMER

MaN Of MaNy NamEZ
Oct 2, 2007
illinois
they have plug ins for guitar amps, they have plug ins for drums..what about a plug in that just changes the sound of a mic to another sound of a mic. like i record with a 57 but want it to sound like a 414. do they have this plug in somewhere? if so what is it called?

Antares made a plugin like this, I don't know if they still support it though. But, realistically, no plugin is going to do this for you.

I think Autotune is the only Antares plug-in that doesn't completely suck. The mic modeller plug-in is piss. If it really worked, nobody would ever buy expensive mics.

you could just record a bunch of samples w/ different mics, and replace it later with whatever sounds appropriate. I know this isn't the same, but it would work!

they have plug ins for guitar amps, they have plug ins for drums..what about a plug in that just changes the sound of a mic to another sound of a mic. like i record with a 57 but want it to sound like a 414. do they have this plug in somewhere? if so what is it called?

It's not going to happen.

People will say it did happen (Antares), but that's only if you think a little bit of eq'ing actually makes one mic sound like another, which it doesn't. :)

The way a mic picks up sound certainly isn't linear, so modeling this and comparing to another mic would be beyond anything simple. How is a plugin going to know where a mic was placed, how loud the source was etc. For stuff like modeling mics for guitar cabs its a bit different, as I'd guess they resemble a well placed mic in a few positions.

Antares Mic Modeler gets bashed a lot because it doesn't really achieve its goal, but I've found that if you get past the notion of "this will sound like an MD421 exactly" that it can be an interesting EQ tool on some types of material. It's been years since I last used it but if you don't take it too seriously and just play around with it, you can get some cool results as I remember.

Impulses are probably a good way to approach this, assuming you create an impulse of a mic in a dead room. But it's not going to sound like the original source miked through the impulsed mic, it's going to sound like the mic you actually used being pumped through an impulse of a different mic. Again, this could totally sound cool in its own way.

I think the important thing with all emulation technology is to not think of it as "the same" but to think of it as "close enough, but different." The same exact settings in a digital emulator won't sound like those settings on the analog device, no matter how good them modeling is.

I don't think that there's going to be a replacement for owning a great mic collection, but if you have a few good dynamic mics and a couple of decent condensers you can probably achieve just about anything you want if you develop your skills. Many of the best sounding records ever made were done with relatively inexpensive mics.

i did a folk rock recording with a female vocalist using a Studio Projects B1 and Anteres Mic mod and i got good results in my opinion and a film producer liked it so much he wanted to use the song in a film....unfortunately the female wouldnt give the producer rights for her voice to be put on his film.