I've come top the conclusion I might suck.

OK, here is the short version. The links at the bottom of the page are recorded through a Personus FP10 at 41000Hz.

I'm curious how much of a difference some of the coverters are make the sound. I spend lots of time getting my tones, read a lot on mixing, get as close to 0db as possible without clipping in the mixing and mastering phase.

Just cant seem to get as clear as I want it. Honestly, is it the FP10 or just my ears... I wont cry so bring it! haha.

OLD RANT MATERIAL FROM HERE

I'm not afraid to admit that even though I have been doing a lot recordings (of my own work and some for friends), I still will have to consider myself a newb..

After seeing all the sweet tones come out of this board it just kills me...

Not the best timing seeing how I'm the one responsible for doing my own bands next demo.

We're recording on a decent pc with cubase, but we are using a firepod fp10 (which I cant help but hate) in a "less than desirable" room situation. On the positive side, we all have a great attention to detail in the song structure, tempo maps, intonation, tuning and trying to just be as tight ass possible.

Lucky me got to have someone else produce/engineer my drum tracks (thank god!) on a digi002. And, were also getting a di box next week so that we can properly set up the guitar sessions for re-amping (thanks to everyone who made that a sticky) so hopefully this demo will turn out better than the last

Speaking of which:
myspace.com/dimaura (songs Forget and Ambit of Time) these are the last 2 full production demo with a live kit that I did. Real drums, line 6 Vetta 2 in studio mode/direct xlr ( right guitar ), Boss gt8/power amp/Marshall (guitar left), DI on bass, 57 / AT3035 blend on vocals.

No kick or snare replacement.

Any help would be nice. We need to make a big impression with this next demo. One of the next 2 songs will be "Kin" you can check out the Fall demo pre-production if you want, but that is just a 5 mic live recording with overdubbed vocals.

Once again any feedback will help me. I do a lot af research but, the opinions of educated ears mean the most.

Cheers,
-Nick:worship:

I'm using Presonus Firepod, wich originally FP10 is.
Can you give some other links than just to myspace to listen tracks with normal bitrate?

The converters/pres/mics are only a very small percentage of the total sound. The way your recordings sound just sound like you need more practice, and realize the fact that great results can be had with just about any piece of gear unless it's really a piece of garbage or broken.

I would say the source and mic position and room are about 90% of the sound, next most important is mics, followed by preamps, and lastly converters.

Nikolas - awesome. Do you have any examples of stuff you have done with it?

give me some time to get some other stuff on soundclick.

Robbie - As a drummer I'm well aware of the chances of being the weakest link in a recording. I have start putting some of Glenn's techniques for removing phase cancellation. Thus, revealing some much better tones.

Thanks, iHate. These are things I have known for a while. Yet, I still let them slip away sometimes.