I've just met the most ignorant engineer ever!$%&!

I played at a fest once and the engineer aimed mic dead centre of my 4x12. Genius. Micing up wood eh?
haha, like on that pic?
l_594089316b19212c608f765e3e301ba1.jpg

This whole topic is one more reason to get the band to invest in a bigass PA system. We have two separate systems here, a small one that's 16 channels with all powered speakers, and a large one that's 24 channels with amp racks and shit for larger venues. We use the smaller one mostly.

In the last cover band I was in, I was responsible for mixing and playing at the same time and got really used to doing it that way, but it's like heaven working with a soundguy that knows what he's doing.

In addition, it still amazes me that so many people in the music field just talk so much shit and have no way to back it up. I just don't understand it, If I'm going to say something, I make damn sure that it's as close to the truth as it can get. If I'm not sure of something, I'll look that shit up and learn.

For example, we just started auditioning new bass players and this guy came in last night talking some jive about tuing to diapason normal and how it would help the vocals fit better in the mix. I've never heard of this, so I looked it up. Why the hell would you not tune to A440 and tune to A435 instead? How is that gonna help your vocals fit in the mix? Then when he played, it was just shit. We play in standard EADGBE tuning. This guy was tuned down an octave from that, but getting as close to EADGBE as he could. There were hardly any frequencies above 100hz coming from his amp. It was rediculous.

I had a mate mic up a guitar like this- right smack in the middle of a 2 X 12.

He didn't really know what he was doing so i gently told him why he should move it

Oh yeah, now I remembered something funny, which was partly my fault, but mostly the house engineers fault.

We were having the last gig of the tour with two bands and the house guy mixed the first band. In the soundcheck we forgot to mark to the console which guitar mic is pointed to which guitar, so he pulled the gain up on both and saw "ha, that one had more stuff coming in, so it must be that one".... As you can guess, after the second song during the gig I notice it wasn't. The house guy didn't notice a thing during the first bands gig. But was the coolest guitar micing I've ever used. about 3 feet away, pointing sideways at 80 degree angle to the amp. I can guarantee you that there was no fizz ;)

oh yeah...my old band went into a studio in late 89 or 90 just when glam bands were coming off their peak and death metal was peeking, the engineer was getting levels for the kick, and he had the kick exactly the way we wanted with a nice click to it....he start turning knobs and says "thats not the way you want it, if you listen to bands like poison, motley crue and other glam bands thats what a kick spose to sound like". i tell him we are a death metal band and we want it to sound like what you just had it. anyways we ended up having to pay this fuck for sound that we didnt want, and we could tell he didnt really like recording us because of the music we played...it was just a paycheck.

I know this thread is supposed to be bitching about engineers, but I've got to bitch about vocalists for a second. There was a band i was watching one time with a screaming vocalist that obviously had no idea how a microphone worked. He pretty much had both his hands completely covering the diaphragm of a shure 58 type microphone and (as most of you could probably guess) every time he got somewhat close to his monitor he would get horrendous feedback. (for the few that don't know, if you cover your hands over the diaphragm of a cardioid mic, it basically changes the pattern of the mic into omni-directional, thus the mic will not reject sound coming from the monitor and cause feedback.) Well in between bitching about the government and religion, my favorite singer in the whole wide world kept blaming the sound guy for not having his vocals loud enough in the monitor, even though every 30 seconds during their playing you would hear a "woooooOOOOOO" then he would back away from his monitor. Obviously the sound guy knew this and would turn his monitor send down so there would be no feedback. But mister fancy pants just had to hear how great his screaming was, so during their last song the engineer just said fuck it and cranked his monitor send, lol!!! So the lesson of the day is, just because you're holding a microphone doesn't mean you're any more intelligent.

Albini ain't fond of the 57/58 either, his description was:
Piece of shit dynamic mic some people are inexplicably crazy about, so we bought one. Sounds equivalently good on everything from snare drum to electric guitar. Unfortunately, not a very high standard of "Good." If you need to record something and there's no microphone available, this will do, I guess.

It's true though. It's probably one of the best mics you can buy before you regress from "pro" to "radio shack garbage". But there are many, many better dynamics out there. Some which don't even cost that much more.

It's true though. It's probably one of the best mics you can buy before you regress from "pro" to "radio shack garbage". But there are many, many better dynamics out there. Some which don't even cost that much more.

Hmm, I dunno how much off-context his statement was, then again, I don't think this mic should be compared to anything that costs above a grand but for it's price range it was so helpful a lot of times and it gets its job done.
I think it's a matter of taste solely that makes you use that mic but however, it's nowhere near a bad or even worse mic, if you like it or not...

I guess sneap and 90% of other well known metal engineers haven't quite reached that pro level yet. :rolleyes:

Could you recommend me some albums with lethal heavy guitar tones that compete with andy's and do not have any sm57 even blended in by a percentage?

Yeah, but Albini hasn't really done anything that heavy, has he? I'd rather listen to anything Nordstrom has done with a pair of 57's than what Albini does with his expensive mics.

I'm not aware of any METAL type stuff he's done, but he was in Big Black and Rapeman, which aren't exactly pop acts. As far as I know, he's most famous for his roomy drum sounds.

Also The Pixies and The Breeders.