I've just received a live engineer job offer

That's a pretty standard club board, I know 3 clubs in my city alone that have that exact model. At least you know you've got reverb and a tap delay. On that particular board I usually bus the vocals to a subgroup for some extra level if you have trouble getting them to the front of the mix.

Did anyone mention that metal is the hardest type of music to mix? :Smokedev:

Eheheh...but it's not for this reason that we like it? ;)
I don't know how the venue is cabled of course, but I suppose each Aux is connected to a stage monitor, right? So for every monitor I set the various channel levels...

Eheheh...but it's not for this reason that we like it? ;)
I don't know how the venue is cabled of course, but I suppose each Aux is connected to a stage monitor, right? So for every monitor I set the various channel levels...

Very likely. MONS will probably be mostly dialed in by the house guy by the time your band plays, so you'll just have to tweak according to what they want

Ou...another question (probably very noobish)
I'll do the headliner slot so the this band will do the soundcheck as first in the afternoon. What do you usally do to memorize all your settings in the mixer? Piece of paper and a sketch of all the levels that go in the various monitors and all the channel's faders? For the channels it's easy because you only take note of the values, but for the aux there are no values, only the min and max (and 0)....

I'll do the headliner slot so the this band will do the soundcheck as first in the afternoon. What do you usally do to memorize all your settings in the mixer? Piece of paper and a sketch of all the levels that go in the various monitors and all the channel's faders? For the channels it's easy because you only take note of the values, but for the aux there are no values, only the min and max (and 0)....

If you know the desk you're going to be using then make a recall sheet up and take note of all your settings once soundcheck is done.

Chances are if you download the manual there will be recall sheets near the back that you can print off.

a camera.

I remember once back when I used to do live sound regularly and I'd just bought my 50mm 1.8 for the camera, I didn't think things through too clearly and took a photo of the board with the lense wide open to f1.8.. when I came back to look at it, everything but the low shelf on the EQ was too blurred to tell!! Whoops.

I remember once back when I used to do live sound regularly and I'd just bought my 50mm 1.8 for the camera, I didn't think things through too clearly and took a photo of the board with the lense wide open to f1.8.. when I came back to look at it, everything but the low shelf on the EQ was too blurred to tell!! Whoops.

:lol: whoops

I had a great weekend, this is the first weekend I've made over a grand from just doing live sound work... if only I made this much every weekend I'd be set

I forgot.... when you do souncheck in the afternoon, only with the band, is there something to take care, considering that there will be the crown during the show? I mean, we know that the crowd absorbs lot of sound , so it's different from afternoon to evening..any advice?

Yes... don't go insane if it doesn't sound that good when you are doing soundcheck... you'll have to tweak it eatherway when the crowd is inside...most of the time it get's only better with the crowd present (in my experience).

I forgot.... when you do souncheck in the afternoon, only with the band, is there something to take care, considering that there will be the crown during the show? I mean, we know that the crowd absorbs lot of sound , so it's different from afternoon to evening..any advice?

99% of the time a decent crowd will make it sound a lot better. You will lose all lose, airy highs and will get that low mid range scoop you can almost compare to wearing earplugs.. Basically, things are likely to sound a lot tighter if you have a decent crowd in the room. This is mainly going to affect guitars and vocals more than anything, mostly guitars.. When I toured mixing Cannibal Corpse I didnt even bother trying to soundcheck guitars.. I would get levels but wouldnt bother trying to EQ, set the guitars in the mix, etc, as their tones were so harsh and so piercing that notes were completely indistinguishable until you had the room half full of people to absorb the loose highs..