Jackson SL-1 or Gibson Les Paul?

If i had to choose between these two, then i would take the SL1.
My first guitar was a Epiphone Les Paul. And now I'm playing on a Jackson DK2. The DK2 is very simmilar to the SL1. (same body, and the jumbo frets,...). Don't get me worng, the SL1 plays in a higher league than the DK2. there's no doubt (neck through body, oroginal seymour duncan pickups,...) But although it is very simillar to the DK2.

I would prefere the Jackson because of its thinner neck, the extra frets, the look, and the more agressive tone. And the floyd rose of course! The only thing I don't like that much is the single-coil in the middle.

But thats just what I think.

Jackson all the way. A LP has a tone of it's own, sure... but the Jackson is one of the finest guitars you can get.

Awesome fretwork, 24 frets, very comfortable to play the higher registers, and of course, it's a Jackson.

Nothin beats a USA Jackson, IMO.

would lean to the Jackson, but try a LP and see if you like how it feels. Buy the one you like the feel and tone of the best.

I had a 79 Les Paul custom Silverburst, but I sold due to it's weight..my back started hurting from it.(weighed in at nearly 20lbs!)

I prefer Gibson SG's to Les Pauls and I am going to the two mega super music stores tomorrow and I will play many guitars. I will tell all tomorrow night, with fresh impressions.

Originally posted by Vienyard
A million people would disagree with me here, but I've found that the Les Pauls have a far superior tone (well, the real good LP's anyway).

No disagreement here! Gibson has always and will always blow Jackson away. And yes, I have both.

I went to one of my megasuperlocal music stores today, "Mars Music". They are going out of business. I saw someone in some other part of the world mention their store going out of business, too. Everyone should check it out now!!!!! You could get some awesome deals. Hate to see them go, guess The Guitar Center has em beat.

Originally posted by Silverhaze
No disagreement here! Gibson has always and will always blow Jackson away. And yes, I have both.

I think that's a pretty funny thing to say, especially since a typical Gibson and a typical Jackson are radically different in both look and feel.

My opinion: The playability of the average Jackson owns all the Gibsons I've ever played, while I like the weight balance of most Gibsons better.

/Sun'

Originally posted by Sunbane
I like the weight balance of most Gibsons better.

/Sun'
You like the weight of a LP???:s

You can play a broader range of styles with a Jackson w/trem, 24 frets, & a 5-way swtich, imo. ..Though, it can't beat the LP's clean sounds, that's a fact.;)
..Honestly, thats as far as I'll go for comparing guitars that have defferent woods & bridges.:rolleyes:
...Jackson = Bright & Gibson = Darker.:D

Originally posted by Russ
You like the weight of a LP???:s

When the alternative is a guitar that nosedives, I'd rather take the LP yes. But then again, my main guitar for years has been a mahogany flying V that is as thick as a 'Paul and just as heavy, so I'm used to heavy guitars.

I like my Jackson Rhoads a lot, but its main flaw is that it's a little neck-heavy. Having to support the neck while playing takes a lot out of my technique and enjoyment in playing.

/Sun'

depends on what type of sound you want. the jackson leans more towards metal, although it is also very versatile. it has the tremolo(which you need to be able to operate and set it up properly) the gibson would have the chunky sound and massive sustain, due to it's through-neck and mahogany body. i would pick the jackson myself.

Originally posted by Sunbane
Originally posted by Russ

I like my Jackson Rhoads a lot, but its main flaw is that it's a little neck-heavy. Having to support the neck while playing takes a lot out of my technique and enjoyment in playing.

/Sun'

Hmm... I've never thought of the Rhoads as neck heavy... it does balance more level to the ground than most other guitars, but it's definitely not like a kelly or explorer... which I think want to dive....

At least for moe....

I guess your biggest issue would be the bridge. Tremelo or not. Unless you get a LP with a tremelo or vise versa.

I personally would lean towards the LP, but I think they are way overpriced for what you get. You'll be paying a few extra hundred dollars for that name on the headstock.

What I really like about the LP is the weight ( old LP:s where made from a different Mahogany and are lighter that modern, incase you didn't know.. ) and especially the 24 3/4" scale. Personally I have no need of the extra frets..

Personally I'd take the Les Paul Gothic. I love that model's tone and playability, and personally find it superior to that of the Jackson.