Jackson vs. BC Rich

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Hey guys. Jackson and BC Rich are two brands of guitars who's names have popped up in the hands of many of our favorite players over the years...So I just wonder, which do you all think is better??? I know there are sooooooo many great guitars out there including classics like Fender and Gibson, but I am in the market for a new electric and ever since childhood (I am now 31) these two brands have never been seen in stores in my area. Now, there's a store right down the road carrying both brands and I just don't know what to do. I like the idea that the BC Rich headquarters is just about an hour or two down the road from me...but what I can afford to spend (about $500 tops) is gonna come from Japan anyway. So let's hear it...which one of these metal monsters deserves the BEST title in the 5-$700 range????? Help a brother out.

I'd really have to say Jackson...B.C. Rich guitars come off to me as cheap, low quality guitars...I haven't actually played one, but that's as much as I can tell from catalogs and such. Now jacksons, I have played, and they are one of the finer brands in metal guitars, so go for those

jackson without question. especially the SL range. i just think they're made better, i own 2 and have had not a single complaint, and many compliments on their tone and look

JACKSON!
NEVER EVEN THINK ABOUT BC RICH
they really suck. Warlock platinum is as "good" as my fake strat.
Jackson, ESP/LTD, Ibanez and Washburn are pretty good for metal and shredding.

Jackson of course! I think that BC RICH is cheaper than jackson but they have somes kickass models.

I have a Jackson and that sounds very good and also that is very good.

jackson... and this is why...
100_1486.jpg

One more vote for Jackson!
I have four Jacksons, all Japanese imports.
And none of the BC Rich's I've tried so far even came anywhere near them in terms of build quality, sound or feel.

I was told by a portuguese luthier who does setups to my guitars that b.c rich are poorly made and are usually flawed from factory. Avoid them. I've got a jackson (a cheap one) and love it.

out of these jackson, i agree with everybody. bcrich guitars suck when they are not from the custom shop (they make killer guitars tho). but in the regular series guitars they suck...

I own a BC Rich NJ Warlock (its a bit modified) and have played a few Jacksons. my Warlock is one of the better modells (an older one, without that speed-loader-trem). I dont really know all the modells and the prices, but I've played the jacksons of 2 guys I know (both cheap modells) and I'd take my Warlock over them any day! one of those 2 even had screws falling out of the pots (but I think that was a 200-300€ modell, so maybe you shouldnt judge by that) and felt really cheaply made (the neck was moving a bit, too, and the PUs sounded like crap)

I'd say BC Rich, but if I were you, I'd go to that store you talked about and try both brands. you'll probably see what you like better!

oh yes, and if your looking to buy a BC Rich: stay away from anything that has any "improved" version of a Floyd-trem!!! I know a guy who has an Ironbird with Speed-loader-trem who says hes not able to tune down properly. myself, I have that Floyd-copy where you dont have to cut of the ball-ends of the strings, and I cant use any gauge higher than 53 because the dont fit through the trem....

well, if you dont care about that (if you dont want to tune down or use heavy strings), it shouldnt be a big problem after all

wow! Thanks, guys. I did go and play one of the Jacksons...it's a Dinky DK 2, I think. It is made in Japan. It is pretty nice, though! And they have it priced at $790 but the guy says he'd let me have it for $550 cash. I may go ahead and get it. I am waiting for a bonus check at work to come through and told him that if he still has it in a month I will probably pick it up. That sounds like a great deal...The only BC Rich I got to play is a warlock...not sure what model...but it felt pretty good and sounded good...but the price on it was like $800 so maybe it's one of the custom shop models?

I dont think you'll find a BC Rich custom-shop modell for 800$

EDIT: I looked at the BC Rich-homepage, I think the guitar you played was probably an NJ-series.
Suggested Retail-price for NJ Warlock: 899$