james labrie- elements of persuasion

viper

New Metal Member
Apr 3, 2005
this thing smokes.unless your a real hater,this is a must listen..i've never been tempted by his previous side stuff,but gave this a try (after reading reviews on mike portnoy.com)i can't get this thing out of my cd player.....

Its goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Its just heavier than his work with Dream Theater/Mullmuzzler that's all. I'd highly recommend it (unless you absolutely HATE JAMES LABRIE)

I heard a few songs and did not care for it. Very nu-metalish and very cliche. My friend who worships Dream Theater didn't care for it either, and he is the one that showed me.

I wasn't gonna check it out as I don't care for Dream Theater, but someone said it was very different from DT and much heavier, so I gave it a listen...glad I did, I love this album...the heavy, the soft, all good IMO...definitely gonna pick this up.

nu-metal??
poke.gif

Um.... Not nu-metal at all, I'd call it "Thrashier", but it does not mean "Nu-metal" I've heard dumbasses call Train of Thought Nu-Metal, but how come it had solos EVERY song?

Nu-Metal=No solos

I have to admit that, despite loving LaBrie, Elements of Persuasion was a bit disappointing. It wasn't the heaviness or any particular genre considerations that turned me off--it was the bland song structures. There just didn't seem to be anything going on. The songs would start, LaBrie would sing, and they would end. There was no drama, no real dynamic (in the sense of overall form, not deviation of volume). Production was excellent, though.

Metropolis Part 2 said:
Um.... Not nu-metal at all, I'd call it "Thrashier", but it does not mean "Nu-metal" I've heard dumbasses call Train of Thought Nu-Metal, but how come it had solos EVERY song?

Nu-Metal=No solos

Yeah i don't know many nu metal songs that sound like this dying soul. People that say ToT is Nu metal are idiots, they probably base that opinion on the guitar sound and very digital production. I'd say it is a very 'master of puppets' influenced album.

DoktorShred said:
Yeah i don't know many nu metal songs that sound like this dying soul. People that say ToT is Nu metal are idiots, they probably base that opinion on the guitar sound and very digital production. I'd say it is a very 'master of puppets' influenced album.

Yep, I'd say too. Besides about the "rapping" that James does, I think it fits the music very well. (Heavy and fed-up)

All the scratching, "rapping" and stuff has some resemblance to nu-metal, though I wouldn't call it that. Sounds like crap anyway, imo.

i laugh at anyone who dismisses incorporation of unexpected styles and orchestration, because that is the core definition of seeking progression. to say that this is "nu metal" and "crap" because it has synths on it is pedestrian. especially among so called prog fans.