James Labrie & Sir Rusell???

Cardinal Sin said:
IYO (in you opinion)

Obviously. Do we really need to add that to every post we make? Do you feel trampled on an afraid others will take that for your opinion? Maybe I should put it in my signature. A big red fucking ^^^IMHFO. :lol:

I hereby announce that I speak for all members of the forum. Therefore, no one need post any opinions except for me. Although I'll welcome echoes.

urinalcakemix said:
Im sorry I forgot to turn on my SARCASM font, however; I DID see Gigantour, and I was NOT impressed. He is STILL Untolerable live. I find it funny, that Arjen Lucassen got his best ever performance on 1 Ayreon album, than in 8 Dream Theater albums + Solo + Mullmuzzler etc. etc

being a fan of Labrie's entire catalog, i do love his work with Arjen. but i think his best work is on Frameshift.

i will admit perhaps the initial question could have been better, as both guys headlining would be a little unrealistic. but having them both play PP is still a legitimate question...

I'll say this:

James Labrie's voice is what inspired me to start to learn how to actually use mine past the typical James Hetfield grunting.

Russell Allen's voice inspires me to keep learning, and keep practicing, and understanding just how important dynamic control and emotion can play a role in a song.

Bruce Dickinson... I can't even summarize what I've learned from that man. Instead, I'll simply say, "SCREAM FOR ME BRASIL!!!"

I'd go see any of these guys on a solo tour. Hell, if Sir Russell toured with a bag of topsoil as his opening act, I'd bang my head til it was full of dirt!

if Sir Russell toured with a bag of topsoil as his opening act, I'd bang my head til it was full of dirt!

I bet SwordLord could hook that up. :lol:

I wasn't even too impressed with Labrie's Ayreon work. It was definitely worlds better than everything else I've heard him do.
At least Arjen had the smarts to realize Labrie's limitations and surrounded him with a bunch of great, more powerful vocalist (including himself :) ) and kept Labrie in a lesser vocal role. However, there was still this one track towards the end of the second disk where Labrie has this solo part where he is just a little bit off (like he often is) and it makes me cringe and my skin crawl.

Russell is my favorite; I've never heard him be even a little off on a note.

Robin

I don't know which works better business wise, but between Russell Allen (with whoever) and Jorn Lande on the bill (with Masterplan, or whatever) or Allen and LaBrie in whatever various projects, there is zero contest, especially after I was able to hear Lande on some live things.

guardian26 said:
I like LaBrie, but lets get Allen/Lande! Thats made for PP.
that was an amazing collaboration.

if Russell was to do another one, my ballot would be cast for Dan Swanö, or Mikael Åkerfeldt, both of whom I think would be an interesting compliment to Allen's vox, just like Lande was.

Ascension said:
WTF? No....you DO NOT speak for everyone else. You have obviously missed the Gigantour and failed to witness Labrie's excellent vocals. He has matured into one of the best & most recognizable vocalists in the biz. Especially considering DT's extensive tour schedule & the strain that will put on the vocal chords night tafter night. This guy is laying it down like it ought to be done. IMO...all others pale in comparison.

In no way is Labrie responsible for DT's fanbase.. if it wasn't for the amazing abilities of everyone else in the band.. they would be nothing. I can sit for hours and watch "Dream Theater Live At the Budokan" because they go on so many little musical tangents that don't require Labrie to be there. If DT came out with a fully instrumental ablum around the likes of Train of Thought Personally I would call it their best.

holybushoffire said:
In no way is Labrie responsible for DT's fanbase.. if it wasn't for the amazing abilities of everyone else in the band.. they would be nothing. I can sit for hours and watch "Dream Theater Live At the Budokan" because they go on so many little musical tangents that don't require Labrie to be there. If DT came out with a fully instrumental ablum around the likes of Train of Thought Personally I would call it their best.

Hhhmm, let's see...DT releases WDADU with Dominici on vocals and nothing happens...no recognition, not even a whimper...they release I&M w/Labrie and...well the rest is history. The results tell the tale. Very hard to argue the point in the face of success.:D

Petethedrummer said:
but he certainly has more emotion and power than a drum machine could produce

Hmm, maybe a tad, but not enough emotion for me. Compared to the Stevens/ Sudano/ Gildenlow/ Baker/ Matos/ Leonard/ Bach/ LaBrie type, Allen sounds like he's just got a job to do and he does it. I don't hear passion for the lyrics shine through. Part of that might be the tone of his voice; which to me, sounds very distant.

To each his own. I just hate seeing LaBrie get bashed when he can nearly bring me to tears while Allen is getting praised for unexcitedly reading off a script.

urinalcakemix said:
James Labrie sucks. I speak for everyone on this forum when I say it.

You will never speak for me. James certainly doesn't suck and if you think so, well then your deaf.

Bear

Fuck that, Labrie kicks ass. Elements of Persuasion is a badass album and the live show was damn good...I don't think I want him in for progpower though.

DT Jesus said:
Hmm, maybe a tad, but not enough emotion for me. Compared to the Stevens/ Sudano/ Gildenlow/ Baker/ Matos/ Leonard/ Bach/ LaBrie type, Allen sounds like he's just got a job to do and he does it. I don't hear passion for the lyrics shine through. Part of that might be the tone of his voice; which to me, sounds very distant.

Have you ever heard The Accolade or Star Child? I think Russell has amazing passion and emotion in his voice. He also has such a strong powerful tone to his voice that I can't understand how you could possibly hear him as distant. I however often hear Labrie as being a bit distant.

DT Jesus said:
To each his own. I just hate seeing LaBrie get bashed when he can nearly bring me to tears while Allen is getting praised for unexcitedly reading off a script.

Labrie brings me to tears everytime I hear him try to do anything vocally difficult.

Robin