James Rivera/Brad Gillis in Vicious Rumors!

I've nominated this band before for PP...but their lineup seems to always be in turmoil & from what l've read, Geoff is hard to deal with. They had one of the best vocalists ever in metal... Carl Albert (RIP). l believe they would over well at PP

Ascension said:
I've nominated this band before for PP...but their lineup seems to always be in turmoil & from what l've read, Geoff is hard to deal with. They had one of the best vocalists ever in metal... Carl Albert (RIP). l believe they would over well at PP

Yeah, I've long wanted to see them at ProgPower, not sure how many
people here are aware of them though, like you say they've had some
unfortunate lineup changes, most notably due to the death of Carl Albert -
I agree one of the best metal vocalists! James is about as good a
singer for them I think you'll find, not sure about Brad but we'll see...

Not sure about Brad?!?!?! Helloooooo!?

Brad F'n Gillis.

Ozzy
Night Ranger

Enough said. Major league talent for such a minor league band. Not that I don't like them, but they should be THRILLED to have this guy.

James Rivera needs to STOP being a band whore. Stick to ONE group and STAY THERE.

It' one thing to have multiple projects going if they sound different, but running from, group to group every other minute shouldn't fly in this kinda market. Is he SO hard to be around with for long???

metal71 said:

Brad F'n Gillis.

Ozzy
Night Ranger

Enough said. Major league talent for such a minor league band. Not that I don't like them, but they should be THRILLED to have this guy.

l agree with Brad being major talent, but is he a fit for VR? VR are a little over the top...definitely harder edged than anything Brad has done. l'm wondering what happened with Ira...he seemed to be a good fit & talent.

Ascension said:
l agree with Brad being major talent, but is he a fit for VR? VR are a little over the top...definitely harder edged than anything Brad has done. l'm wondering what happened with Ira...he seemed to be a good fit & talent.

That's what I was thinking, Brad's a great player but his style is quite a
bit different than Mark McGee's, who was a perfect fit with Geoff IMO. Ira was O.K. but I'd rather hear someone else in that spot. Sorry I'm picky, there's just no pleasing some people :)

metal71 said:

Brad F'n Gillis.

Ozzy
Night Ranger

I'm sure they are thrilled to have him, I'm just not sure he's going to sound
right with them but I've been wrong before! It will be interesting to hear him
in that context anyway...

BenMech said:
James Rivera needs to STOP being a band whore. Stick to ONE group and STAY THERE.

It' one thing to have multiple projects going if they sound different, but running from, group to group every other minute shouldn't fly in this kinda market. Is he SO hard to be around with for long???
He also left Jack Frost's band, didn't he?

BenMech said:

James Rivera, quite simply, needs to disappear. After witnessing his hilarious performance at PPI, I certainly hope he never graces the stage at Earthlink. Although, if he did just disappear, I couldn't laugh about him nearly as much as I do now...keep rockin' James!

I have got to ask a couple of questions here:
1. What was so awful about James about PP 1? I really like his singing, actually he is one of my favorites.
2. What is everyone's problem with Jack Frost? I love Seven Witches!!

Well I'm very much looking forward to seeing James onstage in December!!! I've been a Helstar fan since A Distant Thunder was released, and it's been waaaay too long. And it will be good to see Bernie again with his other band (Agent Steel) as well!

As for the Vicious Rumors gig, it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

BTW, for those who missed the press release last month...

MOM2Posterfinal.jpg

"Monsters of Metal" show featuring Helstar, Agent Steel, Katagory V, Avenger of Blood & Ronny Munroe of Metal Church
October 20, 2005

The first annual "Monsters of Metal" show hits Salt Lake City, Utah. The show is scheduled for Saturday, December 10th at "Club Vegas" in Salt Lake City for this one time appearance by Helstar, Agent Steel, Katagory V and Avenger of Blood.

Ronny Munroe, lead singer of Metal Church, will be making a special appearance as the MC and will be hosting this special metal show.

"Salt Lake City has a big following of Metal music and is a perfect place to put this show and that's why we are bringing this here," states Jeff Baker of Loud Production Co. of Las Vegas, Nevada who is putting this show on along with Salt Lake City promoters Mr. Toast/Triamid Productions.

Legendary frontman James Rivera of Houston, Texas band Helstar is excited by this show because Salt Lake City has always treated him well and has a loyal following of fans there. We are also hoping to get people from all over to come to this event. This show will become a classic! California's legendary Agent Steel, Salt Lake City's progressive metal band, Katagory V and Las Vegas's thrashers, Avenger Of Blood make this the ultimate metal experience!

Tickets are $18 in advance and are available at 24tix.com, SmithsTIX.com, The Heavy Metal Shop, Tease and Keys and at Club Vegas.

Visit www.Utahmetal.com and www.clubvegas.org for more information and soon to be launched www.loudproductionco.net. For traveling information and hotel accommodations visit www.visitsaltlake.com.

Enough shameless promotion. Anyways, James was at PP1?!? With Destiny's End I see. Yet another band to track down...

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
1. What was so awful about James about PP 1? I really like his singing, actually he is one of my favorites.

I am a fan of helstar, destiny's end, seven witches,etc... but, being in Houston..James has become quite notorious for his ego. So alot of Houstonians who are into the metal scene tend to make cracks about it, such as myself.

Well, I make cracks because James Rivera's voice, to me, sounds like 80's buttmetal. Anytime someone tries to immitate a bad metal voice in hopes of ripping on metal, it always sounds like James Rivera. His cartoonish look is also comedy, and has made it impossible for me to keep a straight face on any of the 3 unfortunate occasions I have seen him live. But once again, rock on James. Somewhere in this world there's another metal band in search of a new frontman, and I'm sure Rivera's demo tape is in the mail...

rockyracoon said:
Well, I make cracks because James Rivera's voice, to me, sounds like 80's buttmetal. Anytime someone tries to immitate a bad metal voice in hopes of ripping on metal, it always sounds like James Rivera. His cartoonish look is also comedy, and has made it impossible for me to keep a straight face on any of the 3 unfortunate occasions I have seen him live. But once again, rock on James. Somewhere in this world there's another metal band in search of a new frontman, and I'm sure Rivera's demo tape is in the mail...

Yeah when I do my cheesy metal voice it either sounds like Rivera or the guy from Hammerfall

Dolamite S. Biffle said:

I met a few Seven Witches fans at Prog Power this year which was a real blast! I'll be playing keyboards on their tour starting next week, which should be a bit different from what I did with DC Cooper at this year's Pre-Party...lol If you make it to the show, come up and say hi. :headbang:

Eric
www.keyboardplayer.net