Japanese Bonus Tracks

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
I'd like to bring a problem to public attention. I'm sure it's an affliction that has effected us all at some point in our lives. Gnawed away at the pits of our stomachs. Eagerly anticipating an album only to know that some lucky git has a slightly better copy. Lonely nights of asking "Why?!".

This distressing issue is called "Japanese Bonus Tracks".

Now then, I'm comfortable with other countries getting movies or albums at earlier release dates...but why give them extra tracks? What is it about Japan and it's fanbase that is so different from the UK's that it earns itself a few extra songs?

Maybe I'm missing out on something here but after an extensive internet search I have found no decisive answer.

And this seems to be a syndrone that power metal bands are particularly prone to...which maybe be part of the answer...Japan and her people like power metal more perhaps? Does that mean they deserve exclusive songs all for themselves?

Consider these following tracks and their authors:

Where Dragons Rule - DragonForce
Cry of the Brave - DragonForce
Lost Souls in Endless Time - DragonForce
Gates of Tomorrow - Power Quest
Find the way to the Top - Power Quest
When I'm Gone - Power Quest
The Longest Night - Power Quest
Reach Out - Edguy
Respect the Wilderness - Sonata Arctica
The Rest of The Sun Belongs to Me - Sonata Arctica
Wrecking the Sphere - Sonata Arctica

I could go on and on but I think you get my point.

Maybe a PQ member could cast some light on this perplexing pickle. I'm at loss and I pray that the up and coming PQ installment won't favour our friends to the East.

*looks shifty*.....i have most of those songs lol :D

tbh thanks to sneaky-ness and the internet, its very easy to get japanese bonus tracks, especially from places like bittorrent where people just bundle rare tracks for a particular band for download...its when u start getting into lesser world known bands that its a bit harder to get what you want...i know this raises a whole piracy issue, but sometimes theres just no other way, if i could easily get hold of a legit version i would no probs..

I'll tell you the secret of the bonus track.

Japanese versions usually have bonus tracks due to CD prices in Japan being very high. The import version, from Europe or US, is actually cheaper than buying the Japanese version in a shop. So Japanese record labels want to prepare bonus tracks to make difference with the import version, so that people in Japan buy Japanese CDs. Mmkay? It's an incentive to stop importing cheaper cds.

cavegirl said:
*looks shifty*.....i have most of those songs lol :D

tbh thanks to sneaky-ness and the internet, its very easy to get japanese bonus tracks, especially from places like bittorrent where people just bundle rare tracks for a particular band for download...its when u start getting into lesser world known bands that its a bit harder to get what you want...i know this raises a whole piracy issue, but sometimes theres just no other way, if i could easily get hold of a legit version i would no probs..

You could just import the Japanese Versian :loco:

I've heard that story before, that Japanese CDs cost more... But how much does it cost to import a Japanese CD? I didn't think it actually cost much more than buying it over here... For Magic Never Dies at least i thought it wasn't too expensive, but having never done it i may be lying... :lol:

Hmm I think i'm starting to understand.

It's still outrageous though.

The West is missing out just because the Japanese market happens to be very expensive for CDs?

Currently you can get ¥221 to the pound. Seems to me that things abroad should be cheaper not the other way around :s

Am I getting my economics mixed up?