Jason Suecof - Pensado's Place interview

I liked the fact that PP is opening to other genres but I didn't like that much the way Pensado approached the interview: Too many questions about things not directly related to Suecof for my taste, slow, shorter than other interviews -maybe because of the skype connection, maybe my imagination, I haven't timed it actually- and maybe he was joking but Pensado came across a bit rude at 43:50 or so.

Well, I use to see the show and Pensado looked like he was having a heart attack at times so I'll forgive him.

There were some interesting parts nonetheless and I was a bit surprised when Suecof said the P-bass was his 2nd choice, instead of a J-bass. I'll try this for sure.

^yeah, that showed that pensado wasn't well enough prepared...seemed more like he listened to a few bit looking for highlights to ask or so...
not saying it is easy or possible to study the complete catalogue of every guest he'll have, of course.

I think that's just Dave's way of joking, I wouldn't read much into it even though at face value it seems offensive. I think he just assumes people know that he's kidding because he makes those types of awkward jokes every show. Also jokingly cuts himself down a lot and acts very appreciative overall towards the guests and their talents.

I was pretty pumped to see the Suecof episode, but I actually don't think this was one of the better ones for me. Most episodes I watch I'll have at least one "ah-ha!" tidbit that makes me start tinkering and trying new stuff on my tracks but I can't say I got that from this, I'm not saying that's Jason's fault though. Hopefully Pensado will have more metal producers/engineers on in the future!

That wasn't just odd ball awkward humour, Pensado didn't research properly and thought Jason was Vengeance Fall's producer Jason said he wasn't must have been a miscommunication. Dave got defensive and basically said "that's what you told me" and hinted that this isn't a real episode for the show in undertones.

Did you watch the whole episode and the wrap-up at the end? Dave makes it pretty clear that he respects Jason's work.

Like I said Dave makes those types of jokes/comments on just about every episode. I really think he just has an odd sense of humor and assumes everyone else "gets it" that he's teasing.

Did you watch the whole episode and the wrap-up at the end? Dave makes it pretty clear that he respects Jason's work.

Like I said Dave makes those types of jokes/comments on just about every episode. I really think he just has an odd sense of humor and assumes everyone else "gets it" that he's teasing.

What? Asking about 16th note slaps, saying partial song names instead of album names, thinking he did In Waves, throwing out stupid stuff like "I know you crank the presence on your Peaveys" is all proof that he did fuck-all as far as research goes. Googled the dudes name and maybe some gear keywords and that's literally it.

And you'd think he'd be a little more knowledgable, since he said one of his assistants is obsessed with Seucof productions. I expected a better interview, but meh. Dave is Dave. It's not like I paid for the shit.

What? Asking about 16th note slaps, saying partial song names instead of album names, thinking he did In Waves, throwing out stupid stuff like "I know you crank the presence on your Peaveys" is all proof that he did fuck-all as far as research goes. Googled the dudes name and maybe some gear keywords and that's literally it.

I didn't say Dave isn't a goofball or that he conducted a great interview. I was just saying I can see how it'd be easy for someone who doesn't regularly watch the show to think he's just being a dick when it's just that he has an odd sense of humor. My point is that it wasn't some exception in the episode with Jason - he gets info wrong for a lot of guests. Having a new guest on every week combined with being a busy goofball to start with it's not surprising that he gets stuff wrong.

The show is always a pretty relaxed vibe of engineers chatting about gear/techniques. Not an uptight/professional type interview style. I'm just glad someone is doing a show like this.

Dave Pensado really tried hard to get anything out of Jason Suecof that would be worth knowing for a learning kid outside. Suecof hadn't been too supportive here if at all. The horrible sound quality on Suecof's side did not help here, too.
Both are miles away from each other musically, Pensado stepped way out of his comfort zone and tried to relate to Suecof but Suecof did not move by an inch.
I learned something from ALL the other episodes, but not from this one (and mind that metal guys don't come often to that show). And I don't blame it on Dave.

Agreed, Suecof didn't try very hard to explain any of his techniques or methods after being asked about them. I still enjoyed it though. I would love to see Andy or jens Bogren on the show. Russ Russel isn't a huge name but I've seen him do interviews before and would like to see him on the show, he's pretty entertaining and does some out of the ordinary stuff.

Agreed, Suecof didn't try very hard to explain any of his techniques or methods after being asked about them. I still enjoyed it though. I would love to see Andy or jens Bogren on the show. Russ Russel isn't a huge name but I've seen him do interviews before and would like to see him on the show, he's pretty entertaining and does some out of the ordinary stuff.

russ would probably be a lot of fun.