CLA at Pensado's Place

Mikaël-ange;10400362 said:
Everyone already know CLA signal chain, and if you spend little time understanding 4k signal flow you can figure out how he use his board just watching his youtube video.
For quote Michael Brauer: "at the end, it's just tool... If you haven't creativity you will do nothing with it"

What most people want to hear is how do mix like those guy... But that come from taste, and taste is individual...
I know what you're saying but even if everyone knows the "what" he can still share the why and what to listen for. Obviously you can't teach talent or experience but you can offer specific insight into your process instead of generalisms. I certainly wouldn't complain except he does so many tech-centric interviews and he collects money teaching classes.

I think the interview was pretty good. What else can you say? If he said yeah ok I compress my snare with a distressor or with a 1176 or with a neve 2254. What difference will that actually make? Him saying what gear he uses to x or y won't change anything to whoever listens to it. He's got all his gear in a "preset" kind of mode, if 1176 doesn't work on the snare he'll go for the distressor, that applies to any other source. I literally don't understand what else anyone wanted him to say, I like the way he uses metaphors, although a bit too much sometimes, but it helps with getting different perspectives.

He did seem like he was on some columbian medicine, his mouth and eyes always tweaking lol

On a side note, I wish that dude would get a damn haircut! That Skullet is fucking ridiculous...

I know what you're saying but even if everyone knows the "what" he can still share the why and what to listen for. Obviously you can't teach talent or experience but you can offer specific insight into your process instead of generalisms. I certainly wouldn't complain except he does so many tech-centric interviews and he collects money teaching classes.

I already talked about that with many guys... Mixer like CLA can't really comment about why they choose this way against an other because while mixing they don't think about this. It's purely instinct. They have a clear vision about the final mix and go for it. No question about various choice...etc.
Of course those mixer can say why they did this or that, but that mean going back to her work and analyze it (that what they do for let's say SOS interview).
Other point is, they can be really specific because each one of their processing is program dependent.
You can see some example about that on early gearslutz post when people asked big mixer about snare drum and mult.
Those people asked what processing this mixer will put. Answer it's depend :loco:
After that same mixer gave a really specific snare sound, and what he wanted to get at the end. So in this case he described each one of his mult, with processing used on, and described what each one added to other for give him is final snare sound.

Let's just agree to disagree then. What I'll say is that while some guys may work on instinct alone others seem to have no problem articulating the what, why, and how of their process (George Massenburg for example). The answers don't have to be short or constant.

Let's just agree to disagree then. What I'll say is that while some guys may work on instinct alone others seem to have no problem articulating the what, why, and how of their process (George Massenburg for example). The answers don't have to be short or constant.

I agree... When I wrote mixer like CLA, I speak about instinct mixer;)
For me we have 2 mixer type:
-instinct mixer: they work more with their gut (CLA, Manny Marroquin for exemple)
-technical mixer: mixer like George Massemburg, Peter Mokran for example. But generally speaking they approach mixing less like a performance (if that make sense), and they work less quicker than instinct mixer.

That why I love TLA since he sound like he do both:worship:

I watched it when it was streaming live...his eyes and mouth drove me nuts, was he on coke ?

I got this gut feeling and couldn't help but get it out of the back of my mind the entire interview.

I surely hope not but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

@Jeff: Pensado is THE MAN. DON'T FUCK WIT IT. =D

Oh and CLA and PARAMORE "they're all apprehensive because they were with Bendeth on the previous record and you know, his drums are pretty good.

Hahaha, I love AE's....

QoyDN.jpg

As far as him divulging any "secrets" would it really help anyone unless they had all that outboard and a 4k with his samples and assistants? I mean all that gear helps, but its not like everything goes through a different chain. Its not like Paramore drums are not exactly everything else he mixes. The one thing CLA has done is give people slick, consistent radio mixes with everything all spanked to high hell with faders moving pushing the 2 buss. Now add in a bunch of other comps strapped across the 2 Buss and throw in Ted Jensen. Voila!
He invented a sound and to me he is the "Holiday Inn" of mixing. Safe, even, sonically pleasing and loud vocals with great reverb and delays. Its not brain surgery..It is certainly not Tchad Blake, Andy Wallace or even Rich Costey. I thought the interview was exactly what everyone was expecting, no info shared and who cares? What are you going to do copy his mixes and invent nothing new? I am not slagging him off, I think his discography is staggering. But if you want to really talk about modern music, truth is, Serban Ghenea makes CLA look like he has practically retired.

Serban Ghenea makes CLA look like he has practically retired.

That guy mixed No Diggity by Blackstreet! I'm not big into 90% of his discography, that that mix fucking SLAYS!

he's great, but almost all of what he's done is beyonce and Britney style stuff I can barely listen to, let alone critique the mix on....

It'd be pretty unfair to compare someone who mixes mostly electro based pop music to someone who does rock/real-band arrangements. The latter is generally MUCH harder to mix to a high standard.
I agree on the statement of the non-compareability but i think the rule of shit in shit out holds up for rock as it holds up for electro, if you get pre-cooked and pristine guitar and drumtracks the mix is a breeze, the same with electro, if you get an awesome thought out arrangement with great performances its cheesecake, if its crap it will be crap.

The waveforms of synthetic music are inherently more headroom efficient and easier to work with. The overall lack of dynamic, variance, need for corrective EQ etc. makes the mixing process a much more straight forward endeavor IMO. You're taking many of the drawbacks of physical reality out of the equation... they can be some of the biggest limitations while mixing. As much of the mix work in a 'real band' situation is corrective as it is creative. In metal usually disproportionately so.

IMO, there are plenty of people who make it to the top by mixing 'easy' styles of music. We've heard the top rock guys trip all over themselves when attempting even rudimentary metal mixes over the years. Could you imagine somebody handing them a symphonic progressive metal project of 200+ tracks with multiple pace changes and a song length far exceeding the average 4 minutes? In the metal realm we commonly deal with some of the most difficult tracking and mix situations possible, and it's easy to take for granted.