As I Lay Dying & CLA

Mm1066

Mediocre metal maker
Dec 18, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
EDIT: SHIT, I'm so sorry! I really thought I'd gone to the off topic, please move!!!

Some people may already know this, but CLA did a remix of As I Lay Dying's "I Never Wanted" and it's being put on an EP before the album comes out. So here it is!

Two great mix engineers, and I think it's really interesting to hear his twist on the mix, despite the recent controversy about him being a douche after that masterclass.

Last edited by a moderator:
ban-hammer-featured1.jpg

I'm just joking.. ;)

sounds more like a rockmix, although i really do not think a CLA mix benefits this song in any major way. I even thought the CLA BFMV mix was straight up terrible. I always wondered how he'd do on a metal record but it seems hes not mixing this genere to my taste.

There's not really a lot in it between the two tbh, having said that I don't think CLA doing metal is anywhere near as bad as Joe Baressi doing metal. That Parkway record was a total step down.

Agree the Bullet one wasn't as good as the Richardson attempts though.

Actually I take that back, the video version for this song released back in 07 or whatever apparently is the CLA mix, which would explain why at I glance I was wondering why everything was identical.

That's the Richardson version, which is better cos its less dry sounding and the vocals are less obnoxiously prominent although I can't say I'm loving the snare.

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference in term of low end is massive. Not sure which one I prefer. Probably Colin's mix with a slightly bigger low end would have been perfect. Terrible song btw.

Only hearing it on the cans but Colin's drums sound like baby's first electronic drumset compared to CLA's mix. I felt similarly about his Slipknot mix compared to AW's work. I also remember it pissing me off when I heard Evangelion after Demigod. Stopped me vibing with the music for a long time. I understand the desire to have a clean metal mix in order to handle up tempo stuff well, but his drum mixes have always been way too 'tick tock' for me. That said, his balancing is cleaner here and would lend itself better to an assortment of uptempo metal riffage. It's probably the more 'correct' mix to have on an AILD record.

Purely as a music listener I prefer the CLA vibe though.

Only hearing it on the cans but Colin's drums sound like baby's first electronic drumset compared to CLA's mix.

wow, sorry, but what an arrogant thing to say :(

prsonaly I don't think anyone on this forum achieves the quality of those "baby's first e-kit" sounds in their mix...minus Andy of course

well, imagine you sitting in front of Colin, telling him "your drums sound like baby's first e-kit", don't you think that would be a pretty arrogant thing to say to him?

No offense, your mixes slay, but I wouldn't say they've reached the level of Colin's work (yet), that makes a statement like that sound pretty bold in my ears tbh.

This has nothing to do with my own work. I found 'arrogant' to be a strange word to use under the circumstances, though now I understand as you seem to think I have some sort of personal stake in this. To clarify: I don't.

I often find the most honest impression one has of something forms within the first couple of seconds, before being diluted by successive listens. When listening to CLA's mix, and then Colin's, that was the first thing that jumped out to me, framed in exactly the same way it was written. If the wording offends, then I apologize, but it's just honesty. People here critique mixes in similarly 'arrogant' terms all the time; I don't see why this thread should enjoy an immunity.

Öwen;10397244 said:
There's not really a lot in it between the two tbh, having said that I don't think CLA doing metal is anywhere near as bad as Joe Baressi doing metal. That Parkway record was a total step down.

Agree the Bullet one wasn't as good as the Richardson attempts though.
I for myself thought the tones on deep blue were far superior to adam D's and then the whole production got so slammed against the wall i actually would prefer to listen to death magnetic.

and how can you not love the last everytime i die record? its awesome production and musicwise (also barresi).