As I Lay Dying & CLA

Most of the bands you guys are mentioning in favour of Barresi have more prominent hardcore/crossover elements, when I say Baressi can't really do metal I do mean the more clean cut artificial sounding bands like Parkway. I can see how Barresi's aesthetic works for bands like Bad Religion and ETID because they don't have to possess that clinical edge which I don't think Baressi is very good at.

Theres a lot of weird parts on the Deep Blue record that I'd consider fairly sloppy - the kick in Unrest and several other songs is way too loud and just sounds fairly nasty for the genre for example.

well, imagine you sitting in front of Colin, telling him "your drums sound like baby's first e-kit", don't you think that would be a pretty arrogant thing to say to him?

No offense, your mixes slay, but I wouldn't say they've reached the level of Colin's work (yet), that makes a statement like that sound pretty bold in my ears tbh.

I remember reading in an interview with Colin about this album and he said that the whole drumkit was replaced before he got to mix it so that is probably one reason it sounds so mechanic.

And I really like Colins mixes when it comes to metal, like AILAD, Bullet etc. but i didn't like his mix on the last Slipknot album, he totally killed the vibe on that one.
So Colin for metal and CLA for rock. I haven't heard a good metal mix from CLA, atleast not to the standards that he do rock. The bass is always to loose on the metal stuff just like his
mix on BFMV and AILD. People who usually do rock always seems to have problem to get the lowend tight enough.

Not always a big fat drum makes better mixes. CLA mix is not delivering. It´s not the man who mix 3 songs a day? To do that he probably uses the same shit over and over no matter the style, so it´s no big suprise. But hey no doubt he is almost a god in rock. Last Guano apes album the mix fucking slays. But metal? Humm... no thanks.

CLA mix

??? mix

i have no idea who did the new mix but i really like it. It sounds modern, tighter and cleaner. Those guitars sound like synths.
Guitars are not cool! :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
its a wierd thing how the compression on certain drum elements makes a simple drumbeat groove, for example i prefer the CLA bassdrum for having a more obvious resonance but i prefer the single-mix'es snare for establishing a nice snap and thus making the drumbeat seem more groovy than the wooden *chuck* on the cla mix. And with its apparent being a little bit thinner-ness the not_cla mix creates a greater dynamic shift when the chorus kicks in because the beat is essentially the same.

tonewise i still think cla's exceeds but the singlemix is more to the song.

mixing is wierd.

Both great mixes IMHO. At first, I liked CLA's better but Colin's is more metal sounding so I guess it suits more the style.

But, if they wanted to open their music to new people who are not so much into heavy sounds, they did the right thing. Who knows, maybe it was their goal, or the label's.

To fair, I think CLA has the advantage of being referencing those great original mixes and I'd be curious to listen to a second mix from Colin or someone else from a CLA original mix :devil:

When I listened to the Original track on these headphones I feel that it is a bit piercing ,sharp, ear fatiguing (these headphones are abrasive already). When I hear the CLA mix it sounds Round, big, but a bit boring (dull). In in between of the both of them would be just right.